• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

My Issues With Splatoon (at launch)

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Although, I don't think it's that much of a matter, as long as amiibos don't lock essential content.
20 disc-locked levels per amiibo is significant, but I don't see those as essential to my game experience. I don't think we'll be missing bosses, new weapons or whatever else that would be an important part of the game, it stays in the spectrum of purely optional content. Plus we still have the solo campaign, and it seems consistent enough from what I've seen.
I don't see them essential to my game experience either, to be honest, seeing as it is a multiplayer focused game. But with the major lack of content, cutting content for pay-wall DLC just seems like an incredibly "Jewish" tactic. It's in the realm as to what someone like EA would do.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Never said that Nintendo was the first to do it. But even though they aren't the first doesn't make it an okay thing to do. I didn't support Skylanders nor Disney Infinity; and it's hard to support my favorite game developer when they're doing something as fraudulent as disc-locked content. I personally love some characters who have amiibo like Megaman and King Dedede, but buying them means I'm supporting an issue in the video game industry.
I guess that's my point though whether you find it fair or worth you money is up to you. But it definitely isn't fraudulent. They aren't being deceitful or dishonest about their intentions with the amiibo.

I've said this before but I think the single player campaign is actually pretty rich, especially when you compare it to modern games that average at about 4-6 hours of gameplay. As an older gamer I can look at what come out at launch and be pretty content, and with more, free, on the way literally just a handful of months after release I can't find much reason to complain about "lack of content".

That's all objective though.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I've said this before but I think the single player campaign is actually pretty rich, especially when you compare it to modern games that average at about 4-6 hours of gameplay. As an older gamer I can look at what come out at launch and be pretty content, and with more, free, on the way literally just a handful of months after release I can't find much reason to complain about "lack of content".
The amount of time it takes to beat the campaign is a few short hours and comparing it to "modern" games, it's not much different. Games like Battlefield with short campaigns are multiplayer focused and are flamed constantly. I think there's plenty of reason to complain about lack of content if there's only 5 maps at launch with only 30 or so campaign stages and about 4 times as much if you pay an extra $35 for amiibo that are incredibly limited.

Last edited:

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
amiibos are cancer.
People buy them for collection, even though they're ugly as sh*t. That's just a meme-tier trend.
But hey, that helped in keeping Nintendo's latest results positive. And they have to keep presenting decent selling points.

Although, I don't think it's that much of a matter, as long as amiibos don't lock essential content.
20 disc-locked levels per amiibo is significant, but I don't see those as essential to my game experience. I don't think we'll be missing bosses, new weapons or whatever else that would be an important part of the game, it stays in the spectrum of purely optional content. Plus we still have the solo campaign, and it seems consistent enough from what I've seen.
I had heard that about amiibos (that they're low quality and ugly) and was in the anti-amiibo camp for a while as well. But all it takes is a couple amiibos of characters you like to change your mind. For the record, I actually think the amiibos I do have are quite well made for what they are. They're not McDonalds toy tier, but they're not figma tier either. They are nice enough to display and collect imo. The cancer starts with the low supply and scalpers, not the amiibos themselves. It has turned what should have been a fun little addition into paying upwards of $30 for a plastic toy. When it's 3x its original price and the seller is making 200% profit then they are not worth it.

But I agree. I think that if amiibos continue going the route of cosmetic/superficial perks then it's fine. Making you do the levels with another weapon isn't exactly huge when you think about it. The moment an amiibo gives an advantage or locks significant content behind it is when it will be a serious problem and more along the lines of what the EA sorta stuff @Nico Nico Sleep said.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
Concerning the four-hour two-map rotation, I think people aren't realizing the positive (and most likely intentional) aspects of that decision. Considering that the game is so team-based, it makes sense that you would want the random people you are matched up with to be familiar with the map you are playing on. The rotation allows everyone to learn the maps inside out in just a small amount of time so that matches are more focused and conducive to more competitive play. It will be much quicker to learn how to play on particular maps than if they were all accessible because it forces you to consistently practice only a couple at a time. It will be easier to pick up on the nuances of each map if you play them over and over. On a side note, i think it also adds to the character of the world because it feels like each rotation is a special event similar to the splatfests or the shop items that get different batches in stock everyday. So it's consistent with the in-game universe as well.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
I had heard that about amiibos (that they're low quality and ugly) and was in the anti-amiibo camp for a while as well. But all it takes is a couple amiibos of characters you like to change your mind. For the record, I actually think the amiibos I do have are quite well made for what they are. They're not McDonalds toy tier, but they're not figma tier either. They are nice enough to display and collect imo. The cancer starts with the low supply and scalpers, not the amiibos themselves. It has turned what should have been a fun little addition into paying upwards of $30 for a plastic toy. When it's 3x its original price and the seller is making 200% profit then they are not worth it.

But I agree. I think that if amiibos continue going the route of cosmetic/superficial perks then it's fine. Making you do the levels with another weapon isn't exactly huge when you think about it. The moment an amiibo gives an advantage or locks significant content behind it is when it will be a serious problem and more along the lines of what the EA sorta stuff @Nico Nico Sleep said.
To be fair, I actually find the Splatoon amiibos good looking.
The woolly Yoshis ones as well.
I might just fall for those.
Damn Nintendo.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
I wish that they rotation was closer to two hours, would accomplish what they are going for much better.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I do wish that the game had a little more content at launch, however it will probably not effect me personally much as long as the promised update comes at August. My first month (possibly 2 months) will just be me having fun with the game so the update should come when I start to settle down and get serious with the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom