My thoughts on Octo Expansion

PotatoVerse

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6153-0871-4621
Hi everyone! Before I go into my opinions on the Octo expansion, I would like to here your thoughts on it! What do you think? Anyways, I think that it’s pretty expensive for something purely cosmetic. Sure you get more single player, but other than that, what do you get out of 20$? Cosmetics and maybe like 4-5 hours? Personally, I bought the BoTW Expansion for the same price, but that was worth it. I got two DLC packs for 20$. You could say the same I guess, but personally, I think the DLC is not worth it. I might still get it but probably not. It’s too expensive for its value. If more is teased in it I might get it but otherwise it’s a waste.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
its gonna cost me less then a hours worth of work. It may not be some super DLC pack but its not some slouch either. The way I look at it between splat one and two i got about 1000 hours of game time. I have no problem throwing them a 20 spot to show my support.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
It's.. double the current single player length? It's going to add new gear, new music, and who knows what else yet since it's almost six entire months away. It's basically the same as any other expansion for a single player game only there's also stuff you can use online from it. I won't say it's the pinnacle of expansion pack value based on what I've seen so far but it definitely seems worth it. I mean when I'm thinking about DLC a lot of what I'm thinking about is cosmetics?

Halo 2 and 3 had DLC that was just map packs. People loved those and they ranged in about the same price I believe 15$ for them. Just new maps, and I'm almost certain we will be getting maps (As we have been getting for free by the way) with OctoExpac along with all the new gear, tunes, playable octolings and single player content.

Frankly, the bottom line is that we just don't know what's going to be in the expac yet well enough to justify saying it is or isn't worth the cost. Looking at the trend of content put through for free and comparing it to DLC from other Nintendo titles makes me feel fairly confident it's going to be worth its value. Even if it does end up just being mostly cosmetic, I've paid far more for cosmetics in other games that didn't provide any content at all so I'm sure I'll be getting it. Actually, I bought it the moment I was able to, which is a fantastic feat from Nintendo since I have not pre-ordered a game/content since Halo 2.

As for whether you find cosmetic purchases to be valuable enough is pretty much entirely up to you.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I respectfully disagree with everything you've said.

You brush over the single player expansion part of it like it were the Amiibo challenges in the first game. We already know they're going to be 80 levels, the normal Octo Canyon only has 32 levels. Given these 80 levels from the looks of it are a bit more condensed, they also appear to be much more diverse and difficult. Not to mention the campaign also has a new semi-non-linear progression structure so one can finish the campaign as fast or slow as they wish. As a whole, this new single player content appears to easily, double, maybe even close in to triple the amount of single player content in this game. And as said earlier, diversifies what is offered by the single player.

You're aren't paying that $20 just for the Octoling skin. Hell, I actually couldn't care less about the Octoling skin, personally. I payed $20 because I saw a fairly hefty single player campaign with more in depth level gimmicks and more challenge that the ordinary campaign lacked. All things considered, I feel confident that the amount of content we'll get from the expansion will justify its $20 fee of entry.

PotatoVerse

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6153-0871-4621
I respectfully disagree with everything you've said.

You brush over the single player expansion part of it like it were the Amiibo challenges in the first game. We already know they're going to be 80 levels, the normal Octo Canyon only has 32 levels. Given these 80 levels from the looks of it are a bit more condensed, they also appear to be much more diverse and difficult. Not to mention the campaign also has a new semi-non-linear progression structure so one can finish the campaign as fast or slow as they wish. As a whole, this new single player content appears to easily, double, maybe even close in to triple the amount of single player content in this game. And as said earlier, diversifies what is offered by the single player.

You're aren't paying that $20 just for the Octoling skin. Hell, I actually couldn't care less about the Octoling skin, personally. I payed $20 because I saw a fairly hefty single player campaign with more in depth level gimmicks and more challenge that the ordinary campaign lacked. All things considered, I feel confident that the amount of content we'll get from the expansion will justify its $20 fee of entry.
I didn’t know there were eighty levels. I may have forgot or wasn’t listening enough. I immediately redact my first Post. That actually sounds like a sweet deal now. Thanks dude papa bless

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
That explains a bit. I forget where but it's mentioned once or twice in the reveal trailer. I'm like chest deep in Splatoon news and community so I see it everywhere and I guess I just assumed.

PotatoVerse

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6153-0871-4621
That explains a bit. I forget where but it's mentioned once or twice in the reveal trailer. I'm like chest deep in Splatoon news and community so I see it everywhere and I guess I just assumed.
Yeah I really didn’t know I thought it was like something done quick. That sounds like a better deal now.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It was mentioned during the explanation portion during the reveal.

"Looks like some kind of shady underground test facility. In this massive subterranean world, there are 80 of these test facilities connected by a subway."

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Yeah I really didn’t know I thought it was like something done quick. That sounds like a better deal now.
Yeah I wasn't kiddin when I said about double the current single player. I mean if the levels are sized roughly the same anyway.

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah I wasn't kiddin when I said about double the current single player. I mean if the levels are sized roughly the same anyway.
I feel like they may be a little shorter than story levels, but tbh even if it’s just a bit longer than story mode I feel like it’s a good deal if there’s enough challenge.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It could still be shorter. It's possible every one of those 80 "test facilities" might be the length of one section of a level of Octo Canyon (i.e. between two checkpoints). Each level has, what, 3-5 checkpoints? That would make 80 "tests" roughly the size of 20 normal levels.

It's possible it's worth it even then if the tests have a suitable amount of variety, but if there are 4 different Inkjet tests, that would basically be like one normal level. Also bear in mind that replaying an Octo Canyon level with different weapons adds a fair amount of replay value, but that won't make any sense in the test facility.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It could still be shorter. It's possible every one of those 80 "test facilities" might be the length of one section of a level of Octo Canyon (i.e. between two checkpoints). Each level has, what, 3-5 checkpoints? That would make 80 "tests" roughly the size of 20 normal levels.

It's possible it's worth it even then if the tests have a suitable amount of variety, but if there are 4 different Inkjet tests, that would basically be like one normal level. Also bear in mind that replaying an Octo Canyon level with different weapons adds a fair amount of replay value, but that won't make any sense in the test facility.
Honesty, doing all levels with every weapon is just tedious padding. Doing the same level 9 times over is just a bit draining (especially ones with big squeegies...).

These test facilities are certainly on the shorter side, but they do seem to pretty much unanimously be more dense.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
If they're going to re-hash the multiple run-throughs with each weapon, I'd honestly rather each test be the equivalent of one check point.

Honesty, doing all levels with every weapon is just tedious padding.
I honestly agree here. I don't really mind them doing it once for Octo Canyon, to keep you going back there after your first run-through, but to have another equivalent chunk of content repeatable 8 times is a bit mind numbing.

the

Inkling Commander
If they're going to re-hash the multiple run-throughs with each weapon, I'd honestly rather each test be the equivalent of one check point.

I honestly agree here. I don't really mind them doing it once for Octo Canyon, to keep you going back there after your first run-through, but to have another equivalent chunk of content repeatable 8 times is a bit mind numbing.
They likely won’t be doing this, since the octoling is using nonstandard weaps like the dualie squelchers and hydra splatling in some screenshots, plus there are apparently some challenges where you only use a special/don’t get a weapon at all. So it’s probably not going to happen... especially considering there’s no “hero” weapons to get replicas of (unfortunately..... i want my elitist bragging-rights octobrush nouveau)

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
plus there are apparently some challenges where you only use a special/don’t get a weapon at all.
Octo Canyon did not do a great job of testing/teaching good use of the specials. I'm excited that we're getting weapon focused challenges. I hope they're engineered to train your usage.

(unfortunately..... i want my elitist bragging-rights octobrush nouveau)
Hero replica swagger is absolutely the only reason why I'm dumping afternoons into 1000%.

Reactions: the

IceCreeper909

Inkling
NNID
IceCreeper
Switch Friend Code
SW-3961-1739-2104
It seems like a good deal, and if we're really lucky, they'll add the ability to play as octolings in normal multiplayer AND Octo Canyon, AND salmon run. Course', that could just be wishful thinking. It definitely seems like there will be some new weapons and gear, though, so there would have to add them in some free update so you can still play with people who don't have the octo expansion. If you really didn't want to pay $20, you might be able to glitch/hack it(?). Really, who knows? Perhaps it will even introduce a new weapon class, or add on the the weapon class enebitaly added in 3.0. Meh, this is all guessing, but either way, the expansion sounds like a great, I'm totally getting it.

thundasi

Senior Squid
I'm still waiting on some teasers for Salmon Run upgrades. getting saltier by the day thinking they are doing anything with it.

PotatoVerse

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6153-0871-4621
I'm still waiting on some teasers for Salmon Run upgrades. getting saltier by the day thinking they are doing anything with it.
Literally same. That’s supposed to be a selling point but they are doing nothing with it

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
The original story campaign had 30 something levels, right? This has 80. Assuming you're not one of the people who goes for replicas, Octo Expansion will give you more playtime than the single player campaign.

Also, if you have the option to skip these stages, they must be hard. And personally, I don't find the Octo canyon levels very hard. This means more actual gameplay instead of shoot a dude, find a thing, repeat. Especially now that it's been confirmed they will be timed levels.

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I'm so ready for a challenging single player experience from Splatoon tbh. Plus it seems like they're gonna deliver some more Lore and I'm super down for that as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom