N-Zap 85 > N-Zap 89

JetSquidRadio

Inkling
Yeah!! I said it!!! Starting a Beef!! Wanna fight bout it!?!!

But for real, one of my go-to picks is the 85 not the much more popular 89 because for whatever reason it works for me. Probably because it's basic as heck and the echolocator helps me out so much on my playstyle (I guess). Just wanted to post and throw it out there on if anyone else does use the 85 besides me? I feel like Han Solo using it because you don't have a sprinkler, no ink strike, just the small gun, your basic bombs and wits. (But the gear you have sure help a lot).
Whatever probably a crap thread, so pretty much opinions on the 85? Who likes it? I see 89s are SO dang common, and it's obvious why, but I actually prefer the other...probably because of the color. ;)

Njok

Bouncer
<--

I don't use it that much though. Never use the 89 at all.

I hardly ever see either in ranked, but i am guessing you mean in turf war since you also say you can see why the 89 would be more popular. Because for ranked splatbombs>sprinkler and echo>>>>>inkstrike (imo).

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I rather like the '89 as a weapon, and prefer it to the '85, but the sub and special are not for me at all, to the point that don't use it. So, considered as package, I prefer the '85 to the '89.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Depends on the mode both those weapons are tuned to specific purposes and modes because of their Subs and Specials

N-Zap '89 is meant for stuff like Turf Wars and Splat Zones rather then the N-Zap '85, which is more of a Turf Wars and Tower Control (Haven't played Rainmaker yet) the N-Zap '89 is very capable in Turf Wars thanks to it's Sprinkler which enhances its coverage, and its Inkstrike which while easily recovered, is capable of being used at the end of Turf Wars to maybe shift it in your side or quickly capping Splat Zones either saving yourself from Overtime or winning it through Overtime. It's Sub, the Sprinkler can be used as a deterrent to the enemy team if positioned correctly, or it can be used to quickly cover a Zone. Putting it on the back of a Tower, while ingenious is too ineffective to consider using in Tower Control and the Inkstrike is just too easily avoided in Tower Control thanks to the parade walking through to literally annouce its arrival. Overall however, it isn't a pushover in Turf Wars and Splat Zones because of the many Ink coverage abilities it has, in Tower Control it's lacking in utility, the Sprinkler is almost useless in that mode thanks to how fast paced it can be.

N-Zap '85 has some pretty universal subs and specials, the Splat Bomb thanks to its non stickiness can be slid to an unsuspecting opponents feet. Or it can be used to quickly Ink a Splat Zone. But because of it's unsticking nature, it isn't as effective in Tower Control, because of this the Splat Bomb isn't the best but neither is the Sprinkler in Tower Control. It's special, the Echolocater has some pretty great uses, if your enemy doesn't have cold - blooded which will throw a wrench into your awareness. But assuming your enemies don't have it, it has some great uses in Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control and possibly Rainmaker, if you're like me and not that inclined to look down every 30 seconds to inspect the map, in which this will be the greatest weapon to you, because you don't sacrifice a sub to Point Sensor, while mimicking the Echolocater iis just too small of a radius to use, least in my experience with it. Overall the Echolocater saves it in Tower Control, it's decent in Splat Zones and Turf Wars but I'm not too certain about Rainmaker for both

Appearance wise both weapons have a good look to them, the N-Zap '85 and '89 both have a nostalgic feel to them and while I was not around when they were, they are both nice to look at. But the N-Zap '89 Orange is pretty bright, then again isn't Splatoon bright and colourful?
I use both every once in a while, I used the N-Zap '89 when it was new during Roller coasters vs Water slides and it proved it's usefulness in Turf Wars. I use the N-Zap '85 when it became available I used it for its Splat Bomb and Echolocater, which actually my Squid bum more times then a bubbler ever could. It also depends on the Wielder of the weapon, you can excel in the Gals or Splattershot series, but I see very few N-Zappers. Keep using it you beautiful snowflake (I mean that as a compliment)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well let's see, Splat Bombs > Sprinkler, and Echolocater > Inkstrike, so there you have it! Just my opinion of course! The 85 is one of my most used weapons whereas I haven't even touched the 89. I also like the gray color more, makes it serious and edgy. :cool:

RAzul

Inkling
NNID
RioFlows
It depends on the mode really. I see the '89 being better for Turf War and Splat Zones, while the '85 is better for Tower Control and Rainmaker. I like the color palette of the '89 more though. :p
I 100% agree. It depends on the mode and level for sure (aside from the obvious teammate synergy). I just got off from playing a crap load of games and am a B+. I started at 30won and lost a few, switched to my usual main/go-to: Splattershot Pro and then got all the way down to B+ 4. This was all during Splat Zomes on BlackBelly and Arowana Mall. Now, after I realized that my Echolocator wasn't too much help, I figured my Splat Pro's power and Inkstrike would make up for it. Not the case. I feel for those two levels, it's relatively claustrophobic (especially Arowana) and it doesn't allow the Splat Pro to exhibit its true potential, as it would on Bluefin Depot or Walleye Warehouse. So, as a last resort before de-ranking to B, I switched one last time but to the N-Zap '89. The spread, Ink usage, sprinkler and Inkstrike all worked well enough to maintain the zones and break any control my opponents had. This carried on into Tower Control wear my strategy netted me many splats and wins alike. I've learned to love it.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The '85 is one of my absolute favourite weapons. Its offensive capabilities are incredible, with its focussed spread and threatening range allowing you to take down any target in a flash, while the Splat Bomb allows you to provide serious pressure on an enemy inkling and the Echolocator lets you search and destroy. It's a set that just works so well.

I was excited for the '89 because I wanted to see what else the N-Zap could do, but I was left pretty disappointed. It still makes for a fine offensive tool, but its real power to put enemies on ice is gone.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I like them both similarly. IMO, Sprinklers are better than Splat Bombs, but Echolocator is better than Inkstrike.

Double A

Inkling
NNID
80espiay
Most of my kills come from Splat Bombs (seriously, they're amazingly versatile, especially for bouncing off walls to get around corners) and from letting my team know where the enemies are (I also pack Haunt). For me, the 85 is better than the 89.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin

But for real, one of my go-to picks is the 85 not the much more popular 89 because for whatever reason it works for me. Probably because it's basic as heck and the echolocator helps me out so much on my playstyle (I guess). Just wanted to post and throw it out there on if anyone else does use the 85 besides me? I feel like Han Solo using it because you don't have a sprinkler, no ink strike, just the small gun, your basic bombs and wits. (But the gear you have sure help a lot).
Whatever probably a crap thread, so pretty much opinions on the 85? Who likes it? I see 89s are SO dang common, and it's obvious why, but I actually prefer the other...probably because of the color. ;)
I can see you liking the 85 over the 89. Quite a few agree with you too. I am sadly one of the many more common people who prefer the 89. I'm much more partial to using the Sprinkler and Inkstrike. IDK why but I love the use of inkstrike. It's basically a my way of yelling 'tactical nuke' and getting a extra percentage of turf on the opposing side. I can't remember the number of times that those inkstrikes have save my team's butt from certain doom. Not to mention I play a heavy defensive with using the sprinkler. I can wall one area and prevent the opposing team from getting ground on the area behind me without taking me out first.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can see you liking the 85 over the 89. Quite a few agree with you too. I am sadly one of the many more common people who prefer the 89. I'm much more partial to using the Sprinkler and Inkstrike. IDK why but I love the use of inkstrike. It's basically a my way of yelling 'tactical nuke' and getting a extra percentage of turf on the opposing side. I can't remember the number of times that those inkstrikes have save my team's butt from certain doom. Not to mention I play a heavy defensive with using the sprinkler. I can wall one area and prevent the opposing team from getting ground on the area behind me without taking me out first.
The Inkstrike can also work to distract enemies for a bit while they repaint the area it hit (especially during the last seconds of a match, where they can't afford to lose that Turf)

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
The Inkstrike can also work to distract enemies for a bit while they repaint the area it hit (especially during the last seconds of a match, where they can't afford to lose that Turf)
This is true. Though It can also be a huge blow to hit the areas where the opposing team is the heaviest to aid in air support when your team is on the offensive. If you take out 90% of the team opposing you, it can reduce productivity for a push back counter.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is true. Though It can also be a huge blow to hit the areas where the opposing team is the heaviest to aid in air support when your team is on the offensive. If you take out 90% of the team opposing you, it can reduce productivity for a push back counter.
That's kind of how I use it in the first half of the match, although it rarely gets any splats, but it sure makes them run :ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
That's kind of how I use it in the first half of the match, although it rarely gets any splats, but it sure makes them run :ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Splats are worth it when it hits opponents, but it is one that makes inkings run for sure. Yes... run from my inkstrike. The distraction does help but a full scale inkstrike attack can screw over any team.

NyaaDoodle

Inkling
I use the '85 more than the '89 since Echo and Splat Bombs are great, and as a weapon it's good. The '89 has it's Inkstrike and Sprinkler, but I'd use the Inkbrush for them :P
Though, I can agree both weapons are effective at different game modes.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
It depends on the mode really. I see the '89 being better for Turf War and Splat Zones, while the '85 is better for Tower Control and Rainmaker. I like the color palette of the '89 more though. :p
tottally agree with this i use the 85 as my main for rainmaker only and switch guns for the other modes but i love the 85

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
been looking for some people's zap 85 builds if anyone can post a few that would be great

Last edited:

sniperbait

Inkling
NNID
Sniperbait

'89 > '85 for me...the echolocator is one of my least favorite subs, I'd rather have one that lays down ink. Besides, there's nothing more satisfying that catching the enemy in a well timed ink strike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom