• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

N-ZAP '85 Overpowered?

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
I can't stress this enough: The new N-ZAP '85 is, for me, a noob tube.

It says it has low power, but apparently they didn't scale it down enough; a handful of shots can splatter a player, and if one misses, there's an entire flurry of them to back it up.

The range is partially borrowed from the Jet Squelcher.

All of this makes it VERY dangerous. Rollers have no hope against this whatsoever, unless the opponent is either completely ambushed or doesn't pay attention to their immediate surroundings.

Last edited:

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Same could be said for all weapons with a high rate of fire on the vs rollers topic.

Keep your distance or/and be sneaky. I'm pretty confident that the zapper has not reached that status of invincibility yet.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Hmm, I could be wrong then. I want to see what other people think.

Power

Inkling Commander
I found the Nzap to be annoying when facing it. I was somewhat forced me to be more sneaky and go around them (Which is actually a good thing) The best I could do was outsmart the opponent using it, no sense in trying to outgun them even if I may have gotten a kill once in a while. (I was using the regular splattershot if that makes any difference.)

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
I can't stress this enough: The new N-ZAP '85 is a noob tube.

It says it has low power, but apparently they didn't scale it down enough; a handful of shots can splatter a player, and if one misses, there's an entire flurry of them to back it up.

The range is partially borrowed from the Jet Squelcher.

All of this makes it VERY dangerous. Rollers have no hope against this whatsoever, unless the opponent is either completely ambushed or doesn't pay attention to their immediate surroundings.
Low power? The weapon itself is as powerful as the Splattershot Jr within firing distance.
Range being borrowed from the Jet Squelcher? No. The range is actually long as the Splattershot.
Besides, the weapon just has less ink efficency than the Splattershot Jr, and with a different special than is often considered to be less useful.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Low power? The weapon itself is as powerful as the Splattershot Jr within firing distance.
Range being borrowed from the Jet Squelcher? No. The range is actually long as the Splattershot.
Besides, the weapon just has less ink efficency than the Splattershot Jr, and with a different special than is often considered to be less useful.
The description says it has good firing rate and distance, at the cost of power.
Seriously, I find the range of the N-ZAP '85 close to the Jet Squelcher. Maybe the close quarters gave me a bad idea of it's range...
Ink efficiency is not much of an issue if you have equipment that cuts down the rate of consumption. And the Echolocator yells out "YOU CAN'T HIDE!" right in the enemy team's face.

Undr

What it actually suffers in isn't so much power as it is in one of the hidden attributes. Spread. It seems to be designed to take out guns like the Aerospray. A gun that can spread a lot of ink, but has difficulty focusing down on an enemy that is just a little out of its optimal range will struggle versus the N-Zap '85.

The Aerospray RG is currently the most popular weapon in Turf Wars right now, but this may change with the introduction of the N-Zap '85.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's the exact same damage and fire rate (therefore same DPS) as the Splattershot Jr,, but with more range, less spread, and much more ink consumption. The reduced spread is both a blessing and a curse, it reduces your ability to paint but increases your accuracy when fighting. The real nerf though is its ink tank. You run out of ink very very fast with this thing, and have to reload constantly. However it's still more than enough ammo to kill someone with, and by utilizing kid-squid-kid-squid as you paint and move (which this weapon is great at due to its range) you can keep yourself topped up for when you really need it. The way I see it, it's basically the Jr. adapted for killing rather than painting.

Also I really dislike the 85's loadout, but who knows how the 89 will compare.

Kevham

Inkling
NNID
Kevham
I've seen this stated before, ( Probably by missingno if I recall correctly) Quote, "The NZap is the best Gun with the worst loadout" Unquote. The gun itself is phenomenal to the point of being broken, with a little less fire rate and a little more damage compared to the Aerosprays, but a good bit more range. The Sub and Special it comes with are less phenomenal. The Echolocator is good, but the Splat bombs are nigh useless unless you're breaking someone out of heavy cover. You can easily Cover the same amount of turf with less ink by simply shooting.
Seriously, I find the range of the N-ZAP '85 close to the Jet Squelcher. Maybe the close quarters gave me a bad idea of it's range...
Your range is a fair bit off there. If I recall correctly, the range of the N-Zap is a little bit less then a Splattershot or a .52 gal. Either that or i'm also off with my range.

Are you an Aerospray user? Do you have trouble against those pesky other guns, what with their higher range? If you answered yes to either of these, then use the Brand new N-Zap 85' and you'll have your enemies hurling gamepads and crying in corners in no time!

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I don't see a lot of them anymore, only when it just got release day 1. But the few times I do, it's like fighting any other weapon. I don't see how it's OP unless you're up close on them.

Siggykewts

Inkling
NNID
Siggykewts
I need to play it more. But I seem to have the worst luck with this loadout. I never seem to win battles with the N-Zap and when painting with it I always just miss the Jr.... and the special/sub leave a bit more to be desired on it.

It has its uses, but I haven't been able to fully grasp it yet. For now, I'm not really a fan personally.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I dunno, the NZap doesn't feel particularly overpowered to me.
It has a very focused spread, which makes it pretty good for splatting people (if you can keep it aimed at the same enemy, I have some trouble with this), the Splat Bomb is a pretty good sub-weapon (seeing one either means you need to get away or it's too late to do that, so just watch the splat cam and wait to respawn, or just that you can't go that way for a second, like a very temporary Splash Wall, at least in my experience), and the Echolocator is a pretty good special since it gives your whole team every enemy's locations (even if Cold-Blooded reduces that time, you still see them for a bit).
Still, each individual shot doesn't do that much damage (relatively speaking. It feels like maybe 4 or 5 shots to splat), it doesn't really have any spread (so 1Vmore-than-1 should usually end in getting splatted or running away), and I don't really like the Splat Bomb very much (just a personal preference, really; it's a good weapon, at least I think so, I just hate how much ink it costs, even with Ink Saver Sub equipped), and the Echolocator can be limited in use (again, Cold-Blooded makes Echolocator last for a much shorter time; still useful, at least I think so, but not as much).
So all in all, I don't think it's really overpowered, just really good in some situations and serviceable at best in others, like most weapons.
At least I think so.

dustmyte

Full Squid
NNID
dustmyte
I love the Zapper. That and the Dual Squelcher are my favorite weapons and the Echolocator is definitely my favorite special out of all. I love seeing a NZ user on my team when we spawn cause I know I'll get to see where the enemies are. I usually wait until they pop theirs then after it wears off I trigger mine. The Splat Bomb is the perfect sub to combine it with. It gives the NZ user the ability to attack and pressure opponents at range. The combination of all these elements make it an excellent loadout. It's one of the best ambush weapons when combined with Ninja Squid.

I like it more than the Aerospray due its tight spread and decent range. It certainly has it's limitations. Snipers are always scary to go up against with it. I've seen overly aggressive players using it do extremely well one round and poorly the next. Also, if I'm getting dropped into entirely Japanese lobbies I won't use it. I hate getting up close to Japanese players... fights just play out weird and I wanna be far back when that happens.

praline

I'm ready!
Maybe it's just me but like the N-Zap '85 has almost no range so if you have a gun with a farther shot you'll always win.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Almost no range? It has the exact same range as a Splattershot or .52 Gal. Certainly no .96 or Charger, but it's a solid mid-range weapon.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Range of a Jet Squelcher? No. It have the range of a splattershot.

Right now it pretty much a superior splattershot jr. but with the worse sub and special of those.

EarlyCuyler

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5208-7719-6394
I feel it has the range of the splatershot(regular) but the speed of the it. Its ink usage(with my equipment) is minimal, and can cover A LOT before having to refuel. I think it may be a little op at the moment and require some balancing, its "spray" is very focused to which means its very hard to take people on who use it and survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom