• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA Splatfest is not Nintedo's Fault

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I forgot, they needed to change the win multiplier, the main reason there is a problem! If wins and popularity were equal or near equal then we would never have had this problem in the first place.
no see, in japan pop team still wins for the most part (likely why it was changed to 4, then 6) EU was random and only NA has the un pop trend of winning.As we see so far, the ranking system did not change anything to break this, and they really need do something with the connection problem, why is it that only during splatfest lobby connection losts are so common? The only time I did not have much problem with is all the splatfests up to transformers. Then the pokemon had the worst of it.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I think the whole problem with this splatfest can be summarized in the fact that the ranked matchmaking system has been MASSIVELY flawed for a long time, and there are dozens of posts around Squidboards where we've discussed that. We've been searching for so long for a solution. And all Nintendo has offered us, now, is to take that disastrously broken matchmaker from ranked and drag it over to carry DIRECTLY into our splatfest experience now. So whatever flaws you've experienced in ranked are now going to directly affect your Splatfest experience too.

Additionally, the duration of time you have to play Splatfest to get your snails (or should want to play Splatfest because it's supposed to be fun), does not translate well into the level of intensity associated with ranked. Splatoon at high level is arguably the most intense shooter on the market in terms of speed of play. It's the Short Track Speedskating of the video game world. "Full intensity" doesn't play well in TW for hours and hours. And without an objective to focus on, TW descended into deathmatch rather than REAL TW strategies that would apply if people were really playing TW.

It actually is, a good part of it could be designing the game better:
Having weapons splat slower or have expectations of some lag and dealing with it properly, not making a game pace so fast it is only suited to LAN. Also the hit detection differences of main/sub/RM, cuz you know I actually depend on seeing the person get splatted by the whatever when I see it so they do not make unfair trade (having slower splat times could hep with this though) Also the weird lag of stuff passing though splash wall from the delay it has of going down. Still I do not get the thinking of the different hit detection and even with that sometimes you are still hitting people 5 times or bouncing of people with a normal roller when you run over them. So there is something wrong in the code that allows lag to bug the game like it does. I also seen a tower score for the opponents with no one on it because one of my teammates wailed it so I got on it solo, it went backwards for like 10 points with me alone on it.

Having rank saved on Nintendo end
Having squads not effect rank (people do these for money/fun/ find high skill or play with friends?)
If they changed how rank is saved, they should basically reset everyone to C-

This would help balance teams more, along with the matchmaking should a large group of players think "Oh all the kids pick A so I pick B) be more willing for mirror matches.I shouldn't be paired with people 1400-1600 if I am 1700 vs the other team average being 1600+
dealing with connection issues during match making better, maybe option to wait to pair up last played teammate? Anyways I should not get a connection error just because the game loses a packet or something, along with 1-2 hit shot splattershots when it should be 4 hits with my defense setup

the reason of the huge skill gaps of A/S/S+ is from flippin savesscum/and or squad carries. The game is simply more fun if 8 people are the same skill, not 4 true S+ vs a B rank carry, C rank savescum,A random A rank that was thrown in there because matchmaking could not find anyone, then me S.....(I am not sure if I am true S+ or not, lag does not help this =.=) No reason S and S+ should start at the same points since it takes a lot to break out of S..... compared to other ranks.

From my carry attempts this is how i see the general skill level of ranks:
All C (same) > gap B-,B, > gap> B+ >> gap >A-, A, >gap> A+, Gap>> S, >Gap >>>S+
You bring up some PHENOMENAL points which I haven't seen anyone else bring up before! Your points on the time to kill and the pace of the game being so fast it's not suited for internet play. These are points that are so obvious and glaring, yet I don't think I've seen anyone point out that issue before. The very nature of the game is inherently flawed for internet play! That's a very insightful (and depressing) realization.

This is one place, I hate to admit, Nintendo's critics are right. Nintendo doesn't understand "this Internet thing" yet, and they're too isolated in their Kyoto shaped bubble. As I understand it, internet in Japan is different than virtually everywhere else. The performance is such that, "the internet" is essentially LAN level performance there. I truly believe Nintendo had pretty much ZERO understanding of the way internet behaves outside Japan and considered lag only the smallest of issues. It's a game designed for the LAN-like internet of Japan, not so much out of disregard for the rest of the world, but a lack of understanding it's even different elsewhere. The launch of the WiiU with the day one patch that had a habit of bricking consoles if the connection dropped because it directly overwrote the firmware block by block. Nintendo's attitude was essentially "well it's not like dropped connections are common or anything." They didn't even KNOW. I love Nintendo for being isolated and backward thinking....but not so much for online games.

You're right about splash wall delays. I understand what they were trying for but also where it goes wrong. And the time to kill....it is very VERY rare when I trade that I was killed first. The trade almost always happens that I hear hits then splat some seconds AFTER my opponent was confirmed splatted. And when I play brushes I've had to learn to NOT attack until they splat, but instead, attack a few flicks and then FLEE while they're still fighting - in most cases it seems to happen that I "splat them" after I've left the area. This has the effect that they might actually not be killed. But I have to risk it. Yet if they have a blaster shot on me they get me right away? I've also seen the tower move on its own with a suction bomb or sprinkler on it. I started to believe putting a bomb or sprinkler on the tower could actually make it move! Then I tried it and it didn't work. Yesterday I played an SZ round in warehouse where a Japanese inkbrush player was walking on the side, then teleported into the zone, attacked a teammate, then teleported back to the side and attacked me as though he had never been inside the zone. Had I followed him into the zone to attack, I'd have been splatted on the zone from behind, where he apparently REALLY was.

Despite that both of us are alts and hate to be hypocrites, when discussing the scum/carry players we should not leave out the effect of alts. We are breaking the game as alts every bit as badly as the carried (not as bad as the scummers.) The carried will drop down when they play solo. Our alts will rise up, but probably not to where they should be because we use our alts to experiment with weapons etc. At some point, probably the A's, maybe the B's is this meeting place of us A+/S/S+ players who haven't been playing our best on our alts, and the dropping point of the carried players. The result is predictably AWFUL. Technically with periodic rank resets, alts would probably vanish. There'd be no time or need to have a separate account if they'd get reset in a few weeks anyway. Scummers are worse though as they can land in S+ and stay there forever because they NEVER LOSE.

I wonder if the skill gap chart you have is really the same in 2.6 where B,B+, A-,A,A+ are ally equally matched together as a single large rank. I still believe that's one of the worst decisions they could have made to turn A and B each into a single rank.

This seems to be the crux of many complaints I'm hearing. People have to actually fight those around their skill level instead of having the entire spectrum of player level pop up in matches. I've yet to hear about any newbies being put against S ranks, no, it's only high level people groaning about actually having to put in effort.
I think a good part of the complains is, regardless of whether you're C or S, you have to play to the same number of points to get your snail allotment. Fighting in ranked it's one thing to say, "it's a bad rotation, just play later" etc. I prefer not doing THAT either, but many people do that. But Splatfest it's a single rotation and you MUST exp grind your way through it no matter how good or bad it goes to get your allotment if in-game currency that then further affects your performance in the Ranked battles....so if you don't do your splatfest, you're out of luck for the next month in trying to get your slots or rerolls. So it's a little different in splatfest. Having to play at A/S level for 4 hours non-stop isn't something you do for fun. Even in normal ranked days you'd get two different game modes during that time to break up the playstyle.

People were initially excited you'd get more points faster and thus it would get the high rank people out of the game faster. But when you're losing 8.2 out of every 10 matches, it takes a LONG time to collect the 200 or so points. It forces players to slog through many hours of "play at your absolute best possible and then even better" - that's not fun, that's a chore.

Then again, the caveat I'll keep saying is due to schedule I played only the final 4 hours of splatfest. I saw *VERY* few royalty players, so there's a high likelihood that the majority of players I was seeing were alts, meaning it was really 4 hours of non-stop S+ level battles. Or put another way: Imagine someone telling you you're going to be playing Kelp Dome Tower Control for the next 4 hours against S+, S+, S, A- teams. Would you ACTUALLY choose to play? Would you block out time a week in advance just to play that? :) I love TC, and I love high challenge battles except when my rank tanks. But even I'd draw the line at 4 hours of that slaughter :p

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
@ Awardalts are not that bad unless someone is getting lucky and keep being on your team, most of the time they will leave with 50% win rate because one match you carry them, the next match you beat them so gain/loss is none on average. Also in random rooms you do no stay for long, like C- you only need 5 wins, so on average someone is getting 3 wins/ 2 losses or 2 wins/ 3 losses from you being there. They would have to be extremely lucky to be paired with you all 5 games. Also it is rare for 2 alts be on the same side in randoms, most of the time when there is one I am facing off with them.

For splash wall delay, i do not mean using them, like the delay in tossing them. When they are destroyed, there is a delay of them still existing when they shouldn't be. (watch the ink tank be empty but they still stand) This allows bombs and other things basically pass though the wall (you think it is there) but due to sub delay splatting and the delay of the wall dropping, you are basically splatted by something when the wall still exists on your screen. I even seen a Japanese player FR with a single other player test the delay and it still an issue there. Person throws the bomb, splash wall guards it, and the person is shown splatted 3 seconds later.

Sometimes, the wall may exist for you, but not to your opponent, this allows them (in your view) even normal fire to basically pass though the wall. Also the port example REALLY shows no ink in the wall but it still stands for a bit. When there is no ink in it, she throws the bomb on the wall, blows up on the wall, but splats her friend and gets the notice like 2-3 seconds after.

Last edited:

Award

@ Awardalts are not that bad unless someone is getting lucky and keep being on your team, most of the time they will leave with 50% win rate because one match you carry them, the next match you beat them so gain/loss is none on average. Also in random rooms you do no stay for long, like C- you only need 5 wins, so on average someone is getting 3 wins/ 2 losses or 2 wins/ 3 losses from you being there. They would have to be extremely lucky to be paired with you all 5 games. Also it is rare for 2 alts be on the same side in randoms, most of the time when there is one I am facing off with them.

For splash wall delay, i do not mean using them, like the delay in tossing them. When they are destroyed, there is a delay of them still existing when they shouldn't be. (watch the ink tank be empty but they still stand) This allows bombs and other things basically pass though the wall (you think it is there) but due to sub delay splatting and the delay of the wall dropping, you are basically splatted by something when the wall still exists on your screen. I even seen a Japanese player FR with a single other player test the delay and it still an issue there. Person throws the bomb, splash wall guards it, and the person is shown splatted 3 seconds later.

Sometimes, the wall may exist for you, but not to your opponent, this allows them (in your view) even normal fire to basically pass though the wall. Also the port example REALLY shows no ink in the wall but it still stands for a bit. When there is no ink in it, she throws the bomb on the wall, blows up on the wall, but splats her friend and gets the notice like 2-3 seconds after.

True enough that alts shouldn't be around long in the C's. But I think in the B's and A's they tend to linger long (heck I'm lingering in B+ a little longer than expected due to some truly awful teams (the one I described where the RM carrier never actually moved forward but edged backward and/or let the RM blow up. ) I haven't seen alts in C and B that stick with the lobby more than one match. However in the A's I've see them and they don't get shuffled much. A few weeks ago I had an RM series with the same two very obvious alts (an A- and an A both under level 25, the A- lv 19 or so, the A moved like an S+) - they were BOTH on the opposing team for several rounds in a row.

Interesting you point out that you tend to face off against the alts. That indicates once again (per another thread) that the system is matchmaking individual users based on measured performance, not just based on rank and randomness. That brings back all the "intentional weaker team" matchmaking stuff. I have noticed the same. I don't think I"ve been paired with the other alts too often. It makes me think again that in real ranks I'm often paired on the "weaker" team because it sees me as one of those "above skill" alts and pairs me against them (on my main account) even though I'm not a real match for an S+ alt.

Yes, I see what you mean about splash walls. I dont' generally use wall weapons, so I never gave that part much thought. I usually see the startup delay issue where, as an eliter, I splat people "through" their wall when, from my perspective, I probably shouldn't have been able to.

Walls seem like they dominate the game way too much. I'm not sure I want the bug fixed. :p But looking at that, yeah, that's pretty severe.

That just made me thing of something interesting: I don't recall seeing many walls at all on saturday. Which is weird if ranked meta became the norm for splatfest....where were the wallgals?

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
True enough that alts shouldn't be around long in the C's. But I think in the B's and A's they tend to linger long (heck I'm lingering in B+ a little longer than expected due to some truly awful teams (the one I described where the RM carrier never actually moved forward but edged backward and/or let the RM blow up. ) I haven't seen alts in C and B that stick with the lobby more than one match. However in the A's I've see them and they don't get shuffled much. A few weeks ago I had an RM series with the same two very obvious alts (an A- and an A both under level 25, the A- lv 19 or so, the A moved like an S+) - they were BOTH on the opposing team for several rounds in a row.

Interesting you point out that you tend to face off against the alts. That indicates once again (per another thread) that the system is matchmaking individual users based on measured performance, not just based on rank and randomness. That brings back all the "intentional weaker team" matchmaking stuff. I have noticed the same. I don't think I"ve been paired with the other alts too often. It makes me think again that in real ranks I'm often paired on the "weaker" team because it sees me as one of those "above skill" alts and pairs me against them (on my main account) even though I'm not a real match for an S+ alt.

Yes, I see what you mean about splash walls. I dont' generally use wall weapons, so I never gave that part much thought. I usually see the startup delay issue where, as an eliter, I splat people "through" their wall when, from my perspective, I probably shouldn't have been able to.

Walls seem like they dominate the game way too much. I'm not sure I want the bug fixed. :p But looking at that, yeah, that's pretty severe.

That just made me thing of something interesting: I don't recall seeing many walls at all on saturday. Which is weird if ranked meta became the norm for splatfest....where were the wallgals?
yes I figured, the delay to start it is fine, not really issue other then lag (I seen wall land then get splattted by charger) but I knew you where talking about that with your old reply and that is not what I meant. The ending delay should not be there along with the different hit detection timings (in general normal fire, you splat when you see on your screen, sub/rm, they do not splat till it appears on their screen. However this is not always the case and lag can bug it time to time, like trying to run over someone with normal roller 3 times, where first 2 gave push off like it was carbon) because of the different rules in hit detection unfair trades happen. In splatfest I got splatted from a charger after my inkstrike splatted them, was so mad (and somehow lag splatted me again that same match in a different way, don't remember how though)

Award

yes I figured, the delay to start it is fine, not really issue other then lag (I seen wall land then get splattted by charger) but I knew you where talking about that with your old reply and that is not what I meant. The ending delay should not be there along with the different hit detection timings (in general normal fire, you splat when you see on your screen, sub/rm, they do not splat till it appears on their screen. However this is not always the case and lag can bug it time to time, like trying to run over someone with normal roller 3 times, where first 2 gave push off like it was carbon) because of the different rules in hit detection unfair trades happen. In splatfest I got splatted from a charger after my inkstrike splatted them, was so mad (and somehow lag splatted me again that same match in a different way, don't remember how though)
Interesting. I was under the impression that the only hitscan (splatted when the attacker sees it on their screen) weapons were the chargers, and all other weapons you are only splatted when you see it on yours (though that never made sense because then how do I keep getting hit through walls by nzaps and tentateks? Or hearing hits from an nzap on me after I already splatted them and walked away? But I hadn't realized there was a difference between mains and subs!

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
no see, in japan pop team still wins for the most part (likely why it was changed to 4, then 6) EU was random and only NA has the un pop trend of winning.As we see so far, the ranking system did not change anything to break this, and they really need do something with the connection problem, why is it that only during splatfest lobby connection losts are so common? The only time I did not have much problem with is all the splatfests up to transformers. Then the pokemon had the worst of it.
Then they could fix it for NA. There has only been one splatfest where popularity won, and that was because team art won battles and popularity. For popularity to win that team has to win both, battles have to be equal, or popularity needs 6x the points. For example:

Team A: popularity - 63% <> wins - 48%
Team B: popularity - 37% <> wins - 52%
Team A: 63 + (48*6) = 351
Team B: 37 + (52*6) = 349

That would never have happened before and there is a 100% chance it will never happen now that the teams are more equal. If one team wins more battles than the other then they win, popularity is just a tiebreaker.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Then they could fix it for NA. There has only been one splatfest where popularity won, and that was because team art won battles and popularity. For popularity to win that team has to win both, battles have to be equal, or popularity needs 6x the points. For example:

Team A: popularity - 63% <> wins - 48%
Team B: popularity - 37% <> wins - 52%
Team A: 63 + (48*6) = 351
Team B: 37 + (52*6) = 349

That would never have happened before and there is a 100% chance it will never happen now that the teams are more equal. If one team wins more battles than the other then they win, popularity is just a tiebreaker.
I disagree on art vs science lol, because splatoon there is no ties and both categories is 51% to 49%, so because of that, i view it as something you just toss out when looking at trends. the other reason for tossing it out is because people could not predict high pop (say like planes,autobots, ninja, nice, pretty clear) I knew snowman would take pop but it is likely it was a lot closer then I thought is from people just going with the winning side. The first splatfest ever did not have people thinking like this and battles where pretty much tied, letting pop dogs win. The only true splatfest to break from the less pop = wins was marshmallows.(and that gap was 48-52%.. so not big there either...)

Interesting. I was under the impression that the only hitscan (splatted when the attacker sees it on their screen) weapons were the chargers, and all other weapons you are only splatted when you see it on yours (though that never made sense because then how do I keep getting hit through walls by nzaps and tentateks? Or hearing hits from an nzap on me after I already splatted them and walked away? But I hadn't realized there was a difference between mains and subs!
yeah if you ever look at splat times, esp with slight lag, getting notice for subs/ and RM is MUCH SLOWER while people have a higher chance of "lag dodging" them. It is VERY EASY (or hear rather) with the RM since hit sound = splat, but does not happen. This is why you may see me shooting it more then once in the same direction because I do not know if it would read properly.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Then they could fix it for NA.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's a good one. Sarcasm aside, I doubt they'd ever do region-specific game changes, too much overhead.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's a good one. Sarcasm aside, I doubt they'd ever do region-specific game changes, too much overhead.
I mean give the popular team a chance, not to actually fix the gameplay.

The first splatfest ever did not have people thinking like this and battles were pretty much tied, letting pop dogs win. The only true splatfest to break from the less pop = wins was marshmallows.(and that gap was 48-52%.. so not big there either...)
Cats v dogs was during the early days when the total skill level was much lower, art science was an example where one side won both categories, and marshmallows would have won with popularity was still x4! I picked the team I wanted to win and they would have won if it wasn't changed! I did the math at the time! We would have won with popularity if it had stayed at x4!
The multiplier must change.

Award

yeah if you ever look at splat times, esp with slight lag, getting notice for subs/ and RM is MUCH SLOWER while people have a higher chance of "lag dodging" them. It is VERY EASY (or hear rather) with the RM since hit sound = splat, but does not happen. This is why you may see me shooting it more then once in the same direction because I do not know if it would read properly.
There are many many times I hear the hit/ohko sound from a fully charged sniper shot, then never get the kill. And that's a hitscan weapon!

I think Nintendo's viewpoint is there IS only one region, and only one that matters. The rest of the world is simply allowed to join in. Which has ALWAYS been Nintendo's position, but it's just made so much more obvious in the age of online games :)

Meanwhile in Japan: A Krak-On Lint Roller (Or Splat Lint Roller):

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
There are many many times I hear the hit/ohko sound from a fully charged sniper shot, then never get the kill. And that's a hitscan weapon!

I think Nintendo's viewpoint is there IS only one region, and only one that matters. The rest of the world is simply allowed to join in. Which has ALWAYS been Nintendo's position, but it's just made so much more obvious in the age of online games :)

Meanwhile in Japan: A Krak-On Lint Roller (Or Splat Lint Roller):
most likely just a splat roller, anyways for the tag hitting, I reply to that issue before:
Yeah I know it does not always work, i guess lag bugs it time to time? but in general primary weapon, your screen, sub/rm theirs, like people lag dodge rm shots more often then trying to roll over someone 3 times with a splat roller. Because it depends on their screen, lag dodges happen more often to sub/rm hits then main weapon.

But ya that is my main point, there is problems in coding if lag can bug score tracking and hit detection like that. So I am thinking they just made splatoon for best conditions as far as having little or no lag. I got no idea if there is lag bugging score keeping in other games like what can happen in splatoon.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I mean give the popular team a chance, not to actually fix the gameplay.

Cats v dogs was during the early days when the total skill level was much lower, art science was an example where one side won both categories, and marshmallows would have won with popularity was still x4! I picked the team I wanted to win and they would have won if it wasn't changed! I did the math at the time! We would have won with popularity if it had stayed at x4!
The multiplier must change.
I been trying to understand this but can't. I agree on cats vs dogs, but the art vs science was 51/49 in splatoon meaning that is a tie, you never see a 50/50 ever. So what I was saying you can't include that when looking at trends, so only marshmallows is the real exception and even that had 48% wins. (meaning small difference)

Award

But ya that is my main point, there is problems in coding if lag can bug score tracking and hit detection like that. So I am thinking they just made splatoon for best conditions as far as having little or no lag. I got no idea if there is lag bugging score keeping in other games like what can happen in splatoon.
Yep. Splatoon's netcode is *BAD*. Really bad. Lag affects every online game badly, but the issues in Splatoon are extreme. That's pretty much what I was thinking yesterday, I think Nintendo pretty much considered only Japan and has zero awareness of the internet outside Japan (and really doesn't care) and, the point you hit on, built a game WAY too fast past (even without bad netcode) to handle normal networks. Japan has pretty much the best in the world. Design should focus on the WORST not the best case!

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Yep. Splatoon's netcode is *BAD*. Really bad. Lag affects every online game badly, but the issues in Splatoon are extreme. That's pretty much what I was thinking yesterday, I think Nintendo pretty much considered only Japan and has zero awareness of the internet outside Japan (and really doesn't care) and, the point you hit on, built a game WAY too fast past (even without bad netcode) to handle normal networks. Japan has pretty much the best in the world. Design should focus on the WORST not the best case!
this is what i mean by effecting score:
how? how could it do that wail on it? I was so creeped out i jumped off it and did not want to spontaneously explode. It went backwards when I got on it just as the wail was ending =.=

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I been trying to understand this but can't. I agree on cats vs dogs, but the art vs science was 51/49 in splatoon meaning that is a tie, you never see a 50/50 ever. So what I was saying you can't include that when looking at trends, so only marshmallows is the real exception and even that had 48% wins. (meaning small difference)
How are you so shure it's a tie though. If there's 25.000 participants for example, 12.850 vs 12.150 would still be roughly 51/49 (51.4/49.6). And with games being much more, than the differences could be even larger. The 51/49 thing being a tie only applies to the turf war final count really.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
How are you so shure it's a tie though. If there's 25.000 participants for example, 12.850 vs 12.150 would still be roughly 51/49 (51.4/49.6). And with games being much more, than the differences could be even larger. The 51/49 thing being a tie only applies to the turf war final count really.
in splatoon 50/50= 49/51, that is why

the game will never admit ties in anything, I extremely doubt all the 49/51 results are true 51/49. Because of this, you can't use a 51/49 result when trying to see trends.because of that, my view, there is only one true exception to less pop = win for NA splatfests.

some could be 50.001/49.999 for all you know =.=

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
in splatoon 50/50= 49/51, that is why

the game will never admit ties in anything, I extremely doubt all the 49/51 results are true 51/49. Because of this, you can't use a 51/49 result when trying to see trends. as said there is only one true exception to less pop = win for NA splatfests.
For turf wars, yes, but not for splatfest since the variable's can be so high, as i've shown with the 25.000 example. For all we know, it could be much much more than that, which would make the variable's even larger.

I've always hated the pop = wins mentality here, but hopefully that changes with the new mechanic. Granted people have been really hating it, but i love it. Sure this splatfest the unpopular team won, but it was closest than it's ever been in a while. Maybe the next splatfest might have the popular team win here for once, but keep in mind that the unpopular team can still win a few. this parts is mostly for the whole thread.

Xtura

Inkling
NNID
xtura9
It is there fault. Though noble your intentions they are misplaced. Nintendo could EASILY invest in dedicated servers and remove peer to peer = lag issue solved. They could easily tweak the point system to where the top two people in the losing team only receive half a deduction, this would filter newer players to the bottom and help good players not responsible or not as responsible for losing a match to stay in their bracket longer.

Those are two simple fixes. Dedicated servers aren't expensive to run and the point fix is common sense. But, they don't care.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It is there fault. Though noble your intentions they are misplaced. Nintendo could EASILY invest in dedicated servers and remove peer to peer = lag issue solved. They could easily tweak the point system to where the top two people in the losing team only receive half a deduction, this would filter newer players to the bottom and help good players not responsible or not as responsible for losing a match to stay in their bracket longer.

Those are two simple fixes. Dedicated servers aren't expensive to run and the point fix is common sense. But, they don't care.
Your idea for point fixing would penalize a lot of players. Inkbrush users and others who focus on painting or the objective in ranked tend not to have great k/ds even if they're the one that carried the match, there'd be a whole lot of salt if the point system started playing favorites with two arbitrarily selected people per team.

And given how many server-based games have had cruddy lag, no, there's no guarantee that'd help either, what with this game being global. It's nowhere near as simple to fix as you make it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom