Need help from high level players

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I've been playing a ton recently. I'm really trying to improve at this game.. But I can't. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm never improving at this game. The highest rank I can even consistently maintain is B+ 80. It's starting to get really frustrating.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
What weapon do you use? Im kinda floating around the same area you are now but I broke into A- and am around there now. You have to be very attentive to the field, once you secure the zones, try and push the enemy back; One thing a lot of people do not do that frustrates me is secure the area around them as well. we would have one zone while the area around the zone is all covered in enemy ink, it really is annoying since the enemy would have more mobility options. also keep in mind: once you are in the point lead, you dont exactly have to secure the other zone, just make sure they dont get the one you secured till the timer runs out.

EDIT: reread what I said and it kinda sounds like im contradicting myself big time lol. Just try and keep your ink on the field as much as possible

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
What weapon do you use? Im kinda floating around the same area you are now but I broke into A- and am around there now. You have to be very attentive to the field, once you secure the zones, try and push the enemy back; One thing a lot of people do not do that frustrates me is secure the area around them as well. we would have one zone while the area around the zone is all covered in enemy ink, it really is annoying since the enemy would have more mobility options. also keep in mind: once you are in the point lead, you dont exactly have to secure the other zone, just make sure they dont get the one you secured till the timer runs out.

EDIT: reread what I said and it kinda sounds like im contradicting myself big time lol. Just try and keep your ink on the field as much as possible
Yeah I'm at A- 34 ATM. I use the splattershot pro. I do all of those things, but I just feel like no matter how much I play or try to do something, I'm not gonna get better

ShellShock

Inkling
NNID
DaShellShock
What helps me is using a high damage level weapon, like the .96 Gal. It comes with a sprinkler which can help hold part of an area until someone destroys it or you get splatted. Since its so strong, it can take about 3 shots to splat someone, but the fire rate is very slow.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Work on the fundamentals of your movement and the pros and cons of your weapon.

You have long range so don't approach weapons with shorter range because you will always win in a gun fight.
Try not to shoot at an enemy until you know you will hit them. If they have a lot of friendly ink around themselves and are aware they're being shot at you're going to lose your opportunity.
Abuse high ground.
Do not get frustrated. If you get killed look at what happened and what you could do in the future to avoid such situations.
Make sure that whenever your enemies are down to try and reclaim as much turf as possible. The less the other team can move around the splat zones the better.

Last edited:

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Use the Y button more often. It turns you around much faster than analog or gyro controls, and when used properly it can make you a monster in close combat.
Yeah, I try to do this but I honestly forget to most of the time. Thanks for the tip, though!

What helps me is using a high damage level weapon, like the .96 Gal. It comes with a sprinkler which can help hold part of an area until someone destroys it or you get splatted. Since its so strong, it can take about 3 shots to splat someone, but the fire rate is very slow.
Yeah the pro is a 3 shot weapon. I do like the 52 Deco, because its a 2 shot weapon that has a great sub and special. I like the pro a lot though, because it has very decent power, range, and rate of fire.

Work on the fundamentals of your movement and the pros and cons of your weapon.

You have long range so don't approach weapons with shorter range because you will always win in a gun fight.
Try not to shoot at an enemy until you know you will hit them. If they have a lot of friendly ink around themselves and are aware they're being shot at you're going to lose your opportunity.
Abuse high ground.
Do not get frustrated. If you get killed look at what happened and what you could do in the future to avoid such situations.
Make sure that whenever your enemies are down to try and reclaim as much turf as possible. They less the other team can move around the splat zones the better.
Yeah my biggest issue is that I need to focus more on situational awareness. I do fine with securing any area around the zone when the opposing team is down, but I need to work on doing the same while in a fight. Thanks very much for the help!

EpicB13

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EpicB13
Yeah my biggest issue is that I need to focus more on situational awareness. I do fine with securing any area around the zone when the opposing team is down, but I need to work on doing the same while in a fight. Thanks very much for the help!
This is my downfall too. I may kill a lot, but I get killed a lot. Maybe this is why I'm always stuck in B rank.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
If you are playing charger, try changing locations regularly. I don´t see many chargers doing this and a charger´s performance rises exponentially if he is firing from unexpected places. For example in Arowana Mall you have 3 very good sniping spots, so switch between them during the match. In places like Urchin Underpass shoot, hide in ink and move. NEVER resurface at the same location to shoot again, it will make you an easy target and the enemy will already be alerted of your location so it will be easier for him to avoid your shots. Using this strategy the Skate park has become one of my favorite maps for playing charger, I think it´s even better than Arowana Mall and not because of the tower.

Range is your strength, if an enemy is drawing near retreat as soon as possible to a secure location. Once you´ve put enough ground between you 2 the advantage is yours once again, so now´s the time to try to blast him and reclaim the spot. In order to do this it´s necessary that you anticipate these situations and always leave yourself an escaping path.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
When I encounter an opponent, I take into account which weapon they have and keep my space accordingly. I use a Splatter shot Jr. so I have barely any range. I like to keep space and stay far away until i can cover enough ground and draw them into my ink territory and flank them by swimming around them or back and fourth getting a few shots in here and there. Using movement is essential with the little range you have with SSJr. Also making sure you have an escape route is essential. Make sure you don't get greedy, remember that not every encounter has to end in a kill, dying is a lot worse than not getting the kill. If you run, come in from a different angle, or wait until they chase you and get the upper hand, or just down right distract them from the splat zone.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
When I encounter an opponent, I take into account which weapon they have and keep my space accordingly. I use a Splatter shot Jr. so I have barely any range. I like to keep space and stay far away until i can cover enough ground and draw them into my ink territory and flank them by swimming around them or back and fourth getting a few shots in here and there. Using movement is essential with the little range you have with SSJr. Also making sure you have an escape route is essential. Make sure you don't get greedy, remember that not every encounter has to end in a kill, dying is a lot worse than not getting the kill. If you run, come in from a different angle, or wait until they chase you and get the upper hand, or just down right distract them from the splat zone.
This is actually really good advice...

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
This is my downfall too. I may kill a lot, but I get killed a lot. Maybe this is why I'm always stuck in B rank.
Dying a lot isn't necessarily an indicator of low skill (although it would always be nice to avoid dying). If you are dying because you are going in deep and getting stuff done the death don't really matter. Dying is only a problem because you lose special and are off the map for a period of time. If you make each death count enough that the enemy won't have been able to undo the damage you caused by the time you get back into the fray all you have to worry about is losing special, which is much easier to deal with. Just make sure that you're always trading your life for something more valuable. A good list of things that are often worth dying for:

* Resetting the timer in Splat Zones.
* An even trade with a dangerous enemy (either very skilled or has a powerful special) BUT ONLY WHILE YOU ARE IN CONTROL AND HAVE A MANPOWER ADVANTAGE.
* Killing 2 or more enemies who are actually doing something, getting a kill on that guy who you've killed 6 times before is pretty meaningless. This is a good trade almost any time (assuming it leaves your team at a manpower advantage).
* Wasting a large amount of enemy time or special. A good example would be getting a Kraken to chase you all the way back to his spawn and use up all his special duration.
* Driving the enemy out of a heavily fortified position. You don't even need to kill anyone yourself (you really should get at least one kill though), you just need to break their lines and let your team get through. Example of this is using Kraken to chase enemies away from the choke point in Underpass and letting your team go through to actually contest the point.

くコ:彡 - ROXY

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
I could be wrong but Ranks Battles tend to be different than Regular Battles. Rank is a wee bit more focused on attacking other players, so your best bet would be a high damage weapon like the .96 Gal or similar, or maybe something is good range.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I could be wrong but Ranks Battles tend to be different than Regular Battles. Rank is a wee bit more focused on attacking other players, so your best bet would be a high damage weapon like the .96 Gal or similar, or maybe something is good range.
The splattershot pro does have decent power and range. I don't plan on ditching it anytime soon

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
If you are playing charger, try changing locations regularly. I don´t see many chargers doing this and a charger´s performance rises exponentially if he is firing from unexpected places. For example in Arowana Mall you have 3 very good sniping spots, so switch between them during the match. In places like Urchin Underpass shoot, hide in ink and move. NEVER resurface at the same location to shoot again, it will make you an easy target and the enemy will already be alerted of your location so it will be easier for him to avoid your shots. Using this strategy the Skate park has become one of my favorite maps for playing charger, I think it´s even better than Arowana Mall and not because of the tower.

Range is your strength, if an enemy is drawing near retreat as soon as possible to a secure location. Once you´ve put enough ground between you 2 the advantage is yours once again, so now´s the time to try to blast him and reclaim the spot. In order to do this it´s necessary that you anticipate these situations and always leave yourself an escaping path.
I play E-liter and I switch positions often. Although I would counter and say only really 2 good positions in the mall and that is on the platform near the flank opening on your side or the opening on their side. The platform with the block in front of it on your side doesn't give you enough range and if the team has a another charger with them than can easily snipe you from any of the other 2 platforms that have the flank openings.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I play E-liter and I switch positions often. Although I would counter and say only really 2 good positions in the mall and that is on the platform near the flank opening on your side or the opening on their side. The platform with the block in front of it on your side doesn't give you enough range and if the team has a another charger with them than can easily snipe you from any of the other 2 platforms that have the flank openings.
That platform is great to control the zone, the platform on your left and the hall there. Though it's much better to use that platform from the enemy's side, that way you have all the good things of this platform on the other side and you can get thee enemy before they get to the zone. However, it's tricky to keep this spot as enemies coming from the narrow hallway on the left can give you trouble. There's no absolutely safe spot in the Mall, that's why it's good to change positions so the enemy doesn't where to look for you.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
That platform is great to control the zone, the platform on your left and the hall there. Though it's much better to use that platform from the enemy's side, that way you have all the good things of this platform on the other side and you can get thee enemy before they get to the zone. However, it's tricky to keep this spot as enemies coming from the narrow hallway on the left can give you trouble. There's no absolutely safe spot in the Mall, that's why it's good to change positions so the enemy doesn't where to look for you.
Nevarrr safe in Splatoon! :D

But I feel the most secure in the Mall level on my side and on outer ramps my side in Bluefin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom