1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Need Help with Official Nintendo LAN Adapter

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by kunoichi squid, Feb 8, 2018.

1. kunoichi squid

kunoichi squid Inkling Cadet

Before I contact Nintendo, I thought I'd see if anyone here has some advice. I just bought a brand new LAN adapter and hooked it up to my Switch. It seems that the Switch doesn't recognize that I plugged in the adapter. Any advice?

Note to mods, if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move this thread; I couldn't find a troubleshooting thread/category.

2. kunoichi squid

Quick update: I decided to plug the adapter into my computer and got the following message "Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly." To me this suggests that the adapter is faulty; I am guessing this means I should get a replacement ASAP. Anyone else care to weigh in on this topic?

3. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    Yeah, there's nothing special about the official Hori adapter. A cheap USB one for PC works just fine, and conversely, the Hori one should work on your PC. If it doesn't, it's almost certainly defective.

I have this one myself, works like a charm and gets, in theory, gigabit speeds (which you really don't need). You can get 100 Mb ones for a few bucks less.

Ansible likes this.
  4. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Just agreeing with @MindWanderer: It does sound like the adapter may be faulty, otherwise it should've worked on your computer or anything else as well. And there is indeed nothing special about the official adapter so just about any generic adapter can be used while costing under $15USD.

5. kunoichi squid

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I'm looking into getting a new/replacement for this one (as soon as I can afford one). :)

6. Lonely_Dolphin

Lonely_Dolphin Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Einsam_Delphin
  7. kunoichi squid

Just a quick update; I did figure out the adapter was most likely broken so I ordered, and have received a replacement/new adapter. Thanks for your input everyone!

Lonely_Dolphin and Ansible like this.