Need Some Opinions...

Is it worth it???

• Yes!

• No!

• Not sure...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hawccc

Inkling
Hi! I was hoping for some opinions on whether or not it is worth it to get a switch in order to play splatoon 2 as of now. I played the og and enjoyed it a lot. Thanks!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I mean, that's why I got the Switch. Wasn't till 5 months later till I finally got another game for it.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
I got the switch for Zelda; you might not want it if the only game you’ll play is Splatoon (unless you really loved the original,) but if you want it as a general gaming console, absolutely. Just don’t forget to try out Odyssey too.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
If Splatoon 2 is literally the only reason you have to get a Switch, then... maybe? I mean, S1 is most of the S2 experience (although Octo Expansion is pretty darn rad). I think S2 is better, but I wouldn't spend $300 just for it.

That said, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario+Rabbids are some of the best games I've played at all recently, and there are a ton of ports for it that if you haven't played yet--Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and of course a ton of PC games--getting them on Switch is a good idea. And of course Super Smash Bros. Ultimate later this year.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pretty much what everyone else said. The new mode Salmon Run may but work the price of admission...

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
I would say it's a good game to start with. As much as I love Splatoon 2 and say it's more of a sequel than a 1.5, even I have to admit how much it feels like the first game. Not that I personally find that discouraging.
But I would much more highly recommend this be your first game, not just your only game.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Getting a switch JUST for splatoon 2?

No.

The game as it is right now doesn't even compare to the original.

Getting a switch for Odyssey, BoTW, and the new Smash?

Heck yeah!

Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
Splatoon 2 is the game I have the most hours out of and it's the game I play the most. If you're in a pinch for cash and you need a game that will last a while, Splatoon is the way to go

Plus it's splatoon

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Getting a switch JUST for splatoon 2?

No.

The game as it is right now doesn't even compare to the original.

Getting a switch for Odyssey, BoTW, and the new Smash?

Heck yeah!
Excuse me?

You say that, and then Splatoon 2, content wise, is literally Splatoon + quite a bit more.

Salmon Run as a completely new fairly addicting co-op game mode. Many quality of life improvements. Two entirely new weapon classes. A new ranked mode. Then if the OP is willing to shell out for the Octo Expansion DLC, that is a worth while DLC if one ever existed.

The only thing the original even remotely has over Splatoon 2 is a different set of specials, which preferential, and less input lag, which 99% of people never notice, or certain weapon quirks. Or some exclusive maps, even then Splatoon 2 already has many returning maps and more maps overall.

Even now, with there still being content coming down the pipeline, this game is already ahead of Splatoon 1.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Excuse me?

You say that, and then Splatoon 2, content wise, is literally Splatoon + quite a bit more.

Salmon Run as a completely new fairly addicting co-op game mode. Many quality of life improvements. Two entirely new weapon classes. A new ranked mode. Then if the OP is willing to shell out for the Octo Expansion DLC, that is a worth while DLC if one ever existed.

The only thing the original even remotely has over Splatoon 2 is a different set of specials, which preferential, and less input lag, which 99% of people never notice, or certain weapon quirks. Or some exclusive maps, even then Splatoon 2 already has many returning maps and more maps overall.

Even now, with there still being content coming down the pipeline, this game is already ahead of Splatoon 1.
Ok dude chill.

I haven't played the octo expansion myself, so I can't comment there, but to be honest Splatoon 2 really killed the charm of S1 for me.

Salmon run is cool, but it doesn't make up for the increased latency (which is noticeable and quite jarring when playing a charger), and the connection seems worse from S1 to S2 using the same Internet (and they're going to make us pay for online too.....).

Also the player base seems a lot more toxic (I'm sure @Dessgeega woukd be happy to talk to you about that), possibly due to the larger player base on the successful switch as opposed to the Wii U.

I'm not saying don't get a switch, but I'm saying that it's not worth it purely to play splatoon 2 - BoTW, Odyssey and also Fortnite now as well as a bunch of other great content make it worth the money.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Ok dude chill.

I haven't played the octo expansion myself, so I can't comment there, but to be honest Splatoon 2 really killed the charm of S1 for me.

Salmon run is cool, but it doesn't make up for the increased latency (which is noticeable and quite jarring when playing a charger), and the connection seems worse from S1 to S2 using the same Internet (and they're going to make us pay for online too.....).

Also the player base seems a lot more toxic (I'm sure @Dessgeega woukd be happy to talk to you about that), possibly due to the larger player base on the successful switch as opposed to the Wii U.

I'm not saying don't get a switch, but I'm saying that it's not worth it purely to play splatoon 2 - BoTW, Odyssey and also Fortnite now as well as a bunch of other great content make it worth the money.
Not trying to come off rude, but.

As I said, the issue with latency is something that honestly, a vast majority of the greater playerbase would never quite notice. Unless you are part of that competitive minority of the community or a Charger (but let's be honest, Chargers are a minority as is).

As for connection, I doubt the connection itself is any better or worse, but a simple byproduct of there being a larger install base, and that larger install base usually meaning more people with lackluster internet here in the states (luckily the game does not penalize you in ranked if you do have a dc on your team). Similar thing to the community, but honestly, it isn't like we have voice chat, you aren't gonna hear the toxicity.

I just feel you're docking Splatoon 2 too much more admittedly small things you have with the game.

Last edited:

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
As for connection, I doubt the connection itself is any better or worse, but a simple byproduct of there being a larger install base, and that larger install base usually meaning more people with lackluster internet here in the states (luckily the game does not penalize you in ranked if you do have a dc on your team). Similar thing to the community, but honestly, it isn't like we have voice chat, you aren't gonna hear the toxicity.
I really hate to say this and I really hope I'm wrong, but I've had Ranked matches recently where I had a dc and I was still punished. Sure that may have been a week or two ago, maybe it was bug but I just really hope I'm wrong about thinking that they removed it.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I really hate to say this and I really hope I'm wrong, but I've had Ranked matches recently where I had a dc and I was still punished. Sure that may have been a week or two ago, maybe it was bug but I just really hope I'm wrong about thinking that they removed it.
Depends when they disconnect. If they disconnect early, then there shouldn't be any penalization, however if they disconnect late into the game, you may.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Or rather, if they disconnect after the first minute and the game ends shortly thereafter, you can get penalized (e.g. if they d/c at 1:01 and you lose at 1:20). Or if there's a d/c on the other side as well.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Depends when they disconnect. If they disconnect early, then there shouldn't be any penalization, however if they disconnect late into the game, you may.
Ah, thank you! I didn't know this.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Leave me out of this, thanks.

Well since I'm here... Hawccc, if you played the first Splatoon and enjoyed it, you don't need to pick up Splatoon 2 currently. There's new things but it's functionally the same game, and it's inferior in some aspects. That's my two cents.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
As I said, the issue with latency is something that honestly, a vast majority of the greater playerbase would never quite notice. Unless you are part of that competitive minority of the community or a Charger (but let's be honest, Chargers are a minority as is).
I think you can see why Chargers are a minority though. In Splatoon 1, they were probably the 3rd most used weapon class. In Splatoon 2, they're at the bottom for this reason and many others, not limited to...

No Damage Up. Gear abilities got changed as well, which has also worked to make Splatoon 2 a very different experience than Splatoon 1. I know many believe Splatoon 1 is more fast paced, which undoubtedly has to do in part with Run Speed Up being nerfed in Splatoon 2.

As for connection, I doubt the connection itself is any better or worse, but a simple byproduct of there being a larger install base, and that larger install base usually meaning more people with lackluster internet here in the states.
Why would more players correlate to a higher proportion of people from the United States playing the game? His problems with connection probably have more to do with the Switch's Wi-Fi receiver than anything else. My Switch can't connect to my router from my room while every other device I own gets 3 bars (including my Wii U).

(luckily the game does not penalize you in ranked if you do have a dc on your team).
That reminds me of another big difference between Splatoon 1 and 2, and that's the ranked system underwent a complete overhaul, making it far more lenient.

I just feel you're docking Splatoon 2 too much more admittedly small things you have with the game.
These complaints, while small, do add up to make some people feel that Splatoon 2 is not only just as good, but worse than the original. Everyone here already knows my stance in this.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
@Drew Sebastino thank you for mentioning the ranked system as well.

That thing is STUPID.

I don't know why Nintendo felt the need to replace a perfectly good system with one that for some reason lets fairly mediocre players (such as myself XD) rank up to S/S+, but it means that a system that was supposed to make for fairly balanced matches now has players such as myself playing against godlike squids.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I think you can see why Chargers are a minority though. In Splatoon 1, they were probably the 3rd most used weapon class. In Splatoon 2, they're at the bottom for this reason and many others, not limited to...
In the meta perhaps, but we aren't talking about the meta. The Chargers have always been a weapon that catered to a niche portion of the playerbase, more so than any other weapon class. While that niche was very important for more competitive environments, for the "average Joe" player, Charger were always the least favored weapon.

No Damage Up. Gear abilities got changed as well, which has also worked to make Splatoon 2 a very different experience than Splatoon 1. I know many believe Splatoon 1 is more fast paced, which undoubtedly has to do in part with Run Speed Up being nerfed in Splatoon 2.
This is true, I had forgotten about the change to abilities. While I certainly stand on the side against Damage Up and Defense Up since it basically created a meta game where a lot of weapons were solely dependent on those abilities, I see your point. But, I also retract back to my point about this conversation not exclusively talking about the competitive side or meta of the game.

That reminds me of another big difference between Splatoon 1 and 2, and that's the ranked system underwent a complete overhaul, making it far more lenient.
There's a reason Rank X exists now, and the fact it basically adopts a format specifically designed around an internal power level system. The letters are novel, but the numbers are what truly matter. So much so that SplatNet2 even records the best.

These complaints, while small, do add up to make some people feel that Splatoon 2 is not only just as good, but worse than the original. Everyone here already knows my stance in this.
I suppose, to each their own.

Last edited:

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I don't know why Nintendo felt the need to replace a perfectly good system.
Well, definitely not perfectly good, but much better than what we have now, imo. I think everyone can appreciate its openness and straightforwardness over Splatoon 2's at least.

The Chargers have always been a weapon that catered to a niche portion of the playerbase, more so than any other weapon class. While that niche was very important for more competitive environments, for the "average Joe" player, Charger were always the least favored weapon.
Competitive environments like Ranked Battle, where there's no shortage of them for S and S+ anyway. Especially if it's Tower Control, where you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least 1 Charger on your team every match. If you're playing at Moray Towers, the number doubles...

I certainly stand on the side against Damage Up and Defense Up since it basically created a meta game where a lot of weapons were solely dependent on those abilities
The weapons that were reliant on Dammage Up still are; Charger change time hasn't been reduced to compensate for the removal of Damage Up, and they've suffered as a result.

I also retract back to my point about this conversation not exclusively talking about the competitive side or meta of the game.
But it still is a part of the conversation. It would help to know how interested Hawccc is into Splatoon competitively, because I think this would be relevant to how much he might want the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom