Needing some insight in Ranked

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i originally got stuck in B+ as well with my squiffer, feeling like i wouldn't get better. i switched to splattershot pro to bridge the gap (i wouldn't recomend changing weapons just to move rank, but i also just wanted to learn how shooters work). climbing to A+ was a natural, fairly quick ascent, but once i got there i felt like i'd hit my peak with the weapon and stopped doing ranked for months.

honestly, that was silly. but i used the time to learn the basics for a lot of weapons in TW as well as working on my own squiffer playstyle... and when i came back to ranked, A+ was honestly... a little easy? after my first couple matches i was back in the swing and now i hang smugly in S.

basically: there will be points where you feel you've done the best you can do yet you can't seem to succeed. the truth is, you are just looking at it too narrowly. the more you play and try out new things or daring (but calculated) maneuvers, you find out what works and what doesn't and that there are a lot of options you never considered.

like with your splattershot, while it certainly seems like it excels in frontline combat, it's actually better coming just from the side of the frontlines than dead on from the middle. your subs are not just for killing people in hard-to-reach places but also just forcing people OUT of places, taking out splash walls, or spooking people into a trap.

there's a lot more to splatoon gameplay than appears on the surface, and the more you play and try new tactics and adapting to others' tactics you will rise into having a different kind of sense about the whole battle and your movements within it.

one easy way to force yourself into new tactics is practicing with other weapons, even if just temporarily until you reach mild success (aka at least until you no longer feel like you're bringing down your team)

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
one easy way to force yourself into new tactics is practicing with other weapons, even if just temporarily until you reach mild success (aka at least until you no longer feel like you're bringing down your team)
This is a great and mature advice, playing with Dynamo was important to me as a Krak-On Roller to be more aware of when to take risks, knowing a heavy flick and it's range. Many weapons compliment another, so I'd double this advice!

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm totally down to play with you! I've actually been starting to use the Splattershot (not tentatek) so this will be fun!

Thing is, I really feel as if I'm not really getting better.i mean, yes, I have gotten better after this thread, but recently I've been stuck in A-. I get to A- 60 around and then I go on a huge losing streak and I lose my rank. For some reason, I have no trouble getting it back, but it just gets me kinda discouraged. I know that it's my fault and not my teammates. I'm just hoping I'll get better and overcome the losing streak I keep getting.
A-/A/A+ can ironically be some of the trickiest ranks to advance in, because you're in an odd mix of top tier players who got unlucky from as high as S+, alongside players who were carried from B or C in squads and have trouble holding their own (not knocking B or C, it's just a reality for some). And that isn't even including the jumble of alts (some of whom could randomly be especially fierce competitors). Losing streaks can be especially painful here, but this is why I generally try to follow this rule: if you lose 3-4 consecutive matches, stop and take a break, or outright wait until a more favorable rotation comes along. This has really gone a long way in helping me maintain my rank on the higher end of things. I haven't fallen below A- since I've started following it. Generally when I let a losing streak go on, my rank suffers the consequences. I've come to the conclusion the matchmaker is simply too arbitrary and some rotations are too unkind to specific kits/builds to assume long periods of play are always a good idea at any given time. I'd suggest observing which rotations generally work out best for your play style and weapon choices, and if there's any kind of pattern to your losing streaks. It depends on how much you care about rank though.

You may already know this, but you can check the current rotation at any time from your phone/computer: www.splatoon.ink

ChipsAhoy

Full Squid
NNID
Mr.ChipsAhoy
;D You guys are helping me! I am stuck at the A/A- range... I probably will use the rule of stopping after lose streak... T_T

Lucas

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Armanderp
A-/A/A+ can ironically be some of the trickiest ranks to advance in, because you're in an odd mix of top tier players who got unlucky from as high as S+, alongside players who were carried from B or C in squads and have trouble holding their own (not knocking B or C, it's just a reality for some). And that isn't even including the jumble of alts (some of whom could randomly be especially fierce competitors). Losing streaks can be especially painful here, but this is why I generally try to follow this rule: if you lose 3-4 consecutive matches, stop and take a break, or outright wait until a more favorable rotation comes along. This has really gone a long way in helping me maintain my rank on the higher end of things. I haven't fallen below A- since I've started following it. Generally when I let a losing streak go on, my rank suffers the consequences. I've come to the conclusion the matchmaker is simply too arbitrary and some rotations are too unkind to specific kits/builds to assume long periods of play are always a good idea at any given time. I'd suggest observing which rotations generally work out best for your play style and weapon choices, and if there's any kind of pattern to your losing streaks. It depends on how much you care about rank though.

You may already know this, but you can check the current rotation at any time from your phone/computer: www.splatoon.ink
Thanks! I will keep this in mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom