Needs to Happen: Campaign mechanics in Multiplayer maps

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Everytime I play some of the campaign, I'm struck by just how plain fun and creative the levels are. Obviously very inspired by Mario Galaxy/3D World, both fantastic games. And while this is all awesome - I repeatedly find myself thinking "this needs to be in multiplayer, it would make for fantastic level design?"

Enemies that erase your ink, enemies that explode+respawn and cover vertical walls with ink, Ink Cannons, Ink Rails, etc etc etc. I'm barely 1/4 through the campaign and almost every level has something great.

We're all hopeful for Nintendo's promised DLC - and if Smash is any example they WILL listen to us - so I think it's safe to be optimistic. The current maps are great, but when even better is already inside the game we can ask for more.

What other Campaign elements do you see that would make great Multiplayer map elements?

baronfel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baronfel
2 of the Octoling stages are coming as MP maps (bluefin and kelp dome) so some of them are coming. Though I doubt they'll use the rails/sponges/etc yet.

ScruffyHyphen

Inkling
I want more mobility and creativity in level design. Sponges, ink rails... They could even create multi-leveled platform maps like in single player, and make it so you're practically fighting over the ink rails and the sponges. The rails would be fantastic if implemented correctly, since you can only ink them from one end. And could you imagine some fights breaking out on sponges? They could even throw in those jump-pads that take you specifically to another platform, just remove the locator. And you could even throw in the cannons for the home bases, so you can help deter spawn-camping (even though it's not that bad in this game).

...Just my two cents, though.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There are a LOT of cool stuff in the campaign absent from multiplayer. Perhaps because of balance issues, perhaps because they just didn't bother. So yeah, I would like to have campaign stuff in multiplayer maps too, like the ink rails and sponges. Also please make the Octolings playable.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I was the thinking the exact same thing! The campaign mode's mechanics are really creative, and it would be a waste not to use them in multiplayer. Of course, if they can, they could always make new mechanics more suited to multiplayer. But they need to do something, if all of the maps are just standard maps without unique mechanics, they'll start to get boring eventually even when new maps are added.

ScruffyHyphen

Inkling
That's what I was thinking, Zero. I mean, yeah, the current maps actually have alot of mobility and creative options for the players. But they're not all that creative on their own. People will quickly figure out what to do in certain maps, especially when/if organized play happens. And then it'll get stale, because everyone will be doing the same things.

...But you could say the same for MOBAs, I suppose. And look how many people play LoL.

Venomania

Inkling
NNID
The_FPG
They really should do more with the stuff that was introduced in the campaign... Just imagine use of the geysers... Or even parts of stages that have invisible walls and paths. That would make for some hilarious moments.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I feel some stuff like the invisible trails would leave some people, like say, paintbrush users, at a huge disadvantage.
There's also the thing where people are more concerned with maneuvering the stage and end up getting killed by another player because of it, which is exactly why there are stage bans in Smash.
I'm sure that when handled right, some things can be integrated into multiplayer really well, but they'd need to be really cautious.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I think only some of them could work. The invisible paths should be kept far away from multiplayer, but ink rails and sponges could be interesting. For ink rails there should be some restriction where you can't steal it while somebody is riding it.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That would be awesome! I definitely hope some stuff like this is in future maps or etc;!

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been saying this even before the release. Mechanics like the Sponges would be really cool to see implemented in multiplayer maps.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Absolutely, but I think they released with so few maps PRECISELY because they wanted to test simpler maps to get more data on the base gameplay. Future maps will likely have many different new mechanics, like inkrails, a central cannon to fight over, sponges, rotating platforms etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom