• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nerf Weapons Thread

jpmrocks

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jpmrocks
Basically, discuss which weapons ya'll think to be nerfed. And by nerfed, I'm talking about the "go-to" weapons, the ones that EVERYONE, their mother, father, sister, brother, maid, cat, dog, bird and fish use. Those weapons you see non-stop.

I think Aerospray MG and RG need a nerf, I see so many of those daily, plus it makes leveling up an easy deal, and can easily take the challenge away from leveling. I'm guilty of using it to power level up my clothes in a few hours.

The Krack-On Roller I've been seeing a lot as well, and it gets quite annoying. I love roller, but Seeing 6 krack-ons in one room is a bit ridiculous. I also feel that "one hit" splat kill you can get with rollers should be restricted to dynamo roller. But that's me.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
No, the weapons should stay as they are. People need to learn to make more strategies and replace their current strategy.
If you feel there's no way you'll win a 1 on 1 battle, run away. It's a valid tactic, it saves you, and depending on what mode you are playing, it helps your teammates get him if they're close by. You can't rush into battle with a roller, and expect to win against a long range weapon in some places.
Aerospray isn't as OP as a lot of people think. You might think it is because a lot of people are using it because it's so popular now.

There's only a few places where Aerosprays can win any battle, like in a tight pathway in Walleye Warehouse. If they are at a high place, depending where they are, you can sneak attack them. Using your Sub Weapons or Special can help you beat them.
No weapon is unbeatable.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
May everlasting damnation lay upon the Kraken.

Honestly, I think some people use Aerosprays because of their novel design. Not doubting it's a worthwhile loadout, however.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Don't think any weapon should be nerfed. Especially with how little the game has been out. Also, none of the weapons seem so blatantly overpowered.

This also doesn't account for which mode. Since all weapons you play either slightly or majorly differently depending on the mode as well as their usefulness varies. The blaster while decent in turf wars, is fantastic in splat zones for example.

Siggykewts

Inkling
NNID
Siggykewts
Don't think any weapon should be nerfed. Especially with how little the game has been out. Also, none of the weapons seem so blatantly overpowered.

This also doesn't account for which mode. Since all weapons you play either slightly or majorly differently depending on the mode as well as their usefulness varies. The blaster while decent in turf wars, is fantastic in splat zones for example.
I agree. Still too early. Wait for August with the teams update and any new weps/levels/modes they bring out and then come back to this. For a bit, aerosprays and kraken rollers defiantly seemed too strong. Now that gals and squelchers are becoming a bit more popular, they get balanced out a bit. I say wait a bit longer before making a judgment.

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
Well, as .52 gals and their ilk get more popular, a single defense upgrade will render them weaker in an instant. Takes an extra shot with a single defense. The other automatics don't suffer from someone putting on defense.

This game's problems stem partially from weapon imbalances, and yes, they exist. The roller may have weaknesses, but it's undeniably easy to use, very powerful even at range in fact, and is only weak against players with passing aim capabilities. The other part is that it actually punishes bad and unlucky players while rewarding good players, and places little emphasis on keeping low level players together, or there are just THAT few players online that it's pitting level 5's against level 15+ Inklings.

Plus, the development team seems to have placed all their bets on motion controls making up for the complete and utter $#!% that is playing simply with the sticks. Lots of room for fine tuning the sensitivity on the sticks. I shouldn't have to push them half way just to get them to begin responding. There are also desyncing issues with motion control, making it unreliable. When I tilt the controller down, I should start looking down. Except not always I guess.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Basically, discuss which weapons ya'll think to be nerfed. And by nerfed, I'm talking about the "go-to" weapons, the ones that EVERYONE, their mother, father, sister, brother, maid, cat, dog, bird and fish use. Those weapons you see non-stop.

I think Aerospray MG and RG need a nerf, I see so many of those daily, plus it makes leveling up an easy deal, and can easily take the challenge away from leveling. I'm guilty of using it to power level up my clothes in a few hours.

The Krack-On Roller I've been seeing a lot as well, and it gets quite annoying. I love roller, but Seeing 6 krack-ons in one room is a bit ridiculous. I also feel that "one hit" splat kill you can get with rollers should be restricted to dynamo roller. But that's me.
I agree some weapons get annoying, but I wouldn't say any need a Nerf. If you know how to go about countering them, then its no problem.

PikaThePikachu

Inkling
NNID
Comite
If you ask me, I think it's too early to be talking about nerfs, especially when it doesn't look like any weapon needs a real nerf in the slightest. I mean, the game has been out for like, what, a week at best so far, right?

I do have one pet peeve however, and it's with that sneaky Bubbler.

If anything, I believe the Bubbler should be a damage absorbing shield that breaks if it takes too much punishment rather than making you fully invincible for a set period of time like the Kraken. That's just me, though, and I'm still fine with the Bubbler as is.

Ford Johnes

Inkling
NNID
FordJohnes
I say nerf as in, to make it not the "go to weapon", like, why have all these guns if no one will use anything else but these 4
Some weapons are just more well-rounded, easy to pick up, or plain fun than other weapons, so more people will end up using them. Most of the weapons are situational and require some effort to learn to use them better, and in a casual game like splatoon not everyone has been able to/wants to put that effort in only a week after launch.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
It's way too early. People still don't have ideal equipment yet.

And one of the big things is that there's a kind of rock, paper, scissors thing going on with the range on weapons. So short < mid < long < short. This helps to keep things in check.

Nerdicon

Inkling
Nothing needs to be nerfed or buffed at this point, I've found that just about any weapon can be viable in one mode or the other. I mean, I use the Splat Charger in Turf War and the Blaster in Splat Zones. I'm a kind of advocate for lesser used weapons.

That being said, the Seeker is a bit annoying and the Aerosprays are a little polarizing in Turf War

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Nothing needs to be nerfed or buffed at this point, I've found that just about any weapon can be viable in one mode or the other. I mean, I use the Splat Charger in Turf War and the Blaster in Splat Zones. I'm a kind of advocate for lesser used weapons.

That being said, the Seeker is a bit annoying and the Aerosprays are a little polarizing in Turf War
I dunno about nothing needing buffs. I mean, the Rapid Blasters (normal and Deco) exist, and I can't figure out what they're supposed to be good for. Maybe if they shot faster, or didn't slow you to a crawl when you fired it (just make it slow you as much as non-Blaster guns do and I'd be somewhat more okay with it). Maybe they'll be amazing in Tower Control or some other mode that gets released at some point, I dunno.
As far as nerfs go, I could see maybe the Aerosprays taking an extra hit to splat (Seekers are fine as far as I'm concerned, since you can jump over them or just swim to the side and it'll miss you, and I enjoy swimming behind them to get around quickly, especially on Port Mackerel), but other than that I think like you do, it's all good in one mode or another.

MINUS

The Once and Future King
NNID
TRUEB7UE
I dunno about nothing needing buffs. I mean, the Rapid Blasters (normal and Deco) exist, and I can't figure out what they're supposed to be good for. Maybe if they shot faster, or didn't slow you to a crawl when you fired it (just make it slow you as much as non-Blaster guns do and I'd be somewhat more okay with it). Maybe they'll be amazing in Tower Control or some other mode that gets released at some point, I dunno.
As far as nerfs go, I could see maybe the Aerosprays taking an extra hit to splat (Seekers are fine as far as I'm concerned, since you can jump over them or just swim to the side and it'll miss you, and I enjoy swimming behind them to get around quickly, especially on Port Mackerel), but other than that I think like you do, it's all good in one mode or another.
Blasters are squid killers (much like chargers), go on ranked you'll see people utlizing the entire blaster family like they're the best weapon class in the game.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Blasters are squid killers (much like chargers), go on ranked you'll see people utlizing the entire blaster family like they're the best weapon class in the game.
I've been on Ranked, and yeah, Blaster and Blaster Custom are terrifying there. But I've never seen anyone using either Rapid Blaster, and when I've tried it out, I've seen nothing but an inferior weapon with no obvious use (it doesn't fire much faster and it can't one-shot like the normal Blasters, and the Bubbler, while on the Rapid Blaster, is also on the Custom Blaster (now there's something scary), so I don't see how the Rapids are meant to be better). But you could be right; after all, I've never seen any Rapid Blasters online, so my opinion on it is purely based on personal use.
And I've never touched the Rapid Blaster Deco, so I'm talking purely from conjecture on this one, but it has a Suction Bomb Rush, which is unique (think it's the only weapon with the Suction Bomb/Bomb Rush combo), but doesn't seem that great either (I'm probably missing a use here though).

Tat

Inkling
NNID
Goldbit
If you ask me, I think it's too early to be talking about nerfs, especially when it doesn't look like any weapon needs a real nerf in the slightest. I mean, the game has been out for like, what, a week at best so far, right?

I do have one pet peeve however, and it's with that sneaky Bubbler.

If anything, I believe the Bubbler should be a damage absorbing shield that breaks if it takes too much punishment rather than making you fully invincible for a set period of time like the Kraken. That's just me, though, and I'm still fine with the Bubbler as is.
I think the opposite. I'd rather have the Bubbler stay as it is, and make the Kraken have 500 HP. Mostly because of the Kraken Roller, that has minimal downsides (compared to other Rollers), because of the ability to just flowchart like: can i kill sqweed from where i'm standing?>no>kraken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom