New Ability Ideas?

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
So, I've seen several threads about new main/sub/special ideas but not anything regarding new gear abilities so I thought this would be the perfect time to share some ideas I have had and maybe see what ideas other people have. (Note that I am really bad at naming things.)

Stealth Scaler—Ninja Squid but for walls. You lose the ability to mash X to go faster but the ability would be really useful for ambushes on certain maps, especially since people don't bother to ink walls that don't lead to places as walls don't count as turf. It would probably be clothing-only so you can't use it and Ninja Squid, but if it were to be headgear-only you could become a master of stealth with Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump.

(Name Undecided)—When you jump and shoot, your shots become just as accurate as on the ground and you keep the extra range. Your spread will be less, however. I would make this shoe-exclusive. Actually, now that I think about it...this would just make bunnyhoppers more annoying. Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

Soundproof—You are immune to Killer Wails but can no longer see enemy Inkstrike landing points or hear nearby Inkstrikes (either color). This would be clothing-exclusive so that you can't use it with Cold-blooded.

(Name Undecided)—You can see the location of the nearest enemy at any given time (the tracker will change if someone else becomes the new nearest enemy) as if they were hit by a Point Sensor. This effect never runs out but the enemy being tracked will also be able to see you. This would have to be clothing-exclusive since Cold-blooded would break it.

I'm not sure how balanced these abilities are but am looking forward to seeing what ideas others have. I don't think we actually need any new abilities, these are just my ideas.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Interesting ideas.
I think simple things like "range up", "fire rate up" or "charge speed up" for chargers could add a lot more depth to the ability system. "Jump height up" sounds reasonable, too.

As for a main ability: Extra Life - Increases your initial health to 200 HP (you can also heal up to 200 HP after taking a few shots), but after you die once, your health is back to normal and the ability won't give you any other boosts for the rest of the match.

(Name Undecided)—You can see the location of the nearest enemy at any given time (the tracker will change if someone else becomes the new nearest enemy) as if they were hit by a Point Sensor. This effect never runs out but the enemy being tracked will also be able to see you. This would have to be clothing-exclusive since Cold-blooded would break it.
This would be the most broken thing ever. Just way too powerful, as it's like a permanent echolocator. The others sound rather balanced, though.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Interesting ideas.
I think simple things like "range up", "fire rate up" or "charge speed up" for chargers could add a lot more depth to the ability system. "Jump height up" sounds reasonable, too.

As for a main ability: Extra Life - Increases your initial health to 200 HP (you can also heal up to 200 HP after taking a few shots), but after you die once, your health is back to normal and the ability won't give you any other boosts for the rest of the match.

This would be the most broken thing ever. Just way too powerful, as it's like a permanent echolocator. The others sound rather balanced, though.
Google "Kid Icarus Uprising +3 range Magnus Club" You'll soon see why adding range up is a REALLY bad idea.

Fire Rate Up is just as bad of an idea. Do you want to be drowned by a Dynamo Roller? The slow flick speed is what keeps it balanced!

Doubling Your health is somewhat obnoxious (even with one life of use) since you'd be able to survive certain specials like the inkzooka or Kraken. If there is going to be a health up it should cap at 20 additional HP.

Jump height is probably fair game though.

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
Lock-On: Deals extra damage to targets being tracked.

Absorption: Upon splatting an opponent, you gain Ink proportional to the amount they had when you splatted them.

Failsafe: Upon fully charging your special, you become invulnerable for about a second.

Last Resort: When an enemy splats you, the resulting blast will be your team's ink color rather than theirs.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
My ideas for specialized gear abilities:
Squid Stomper: Create a small puddle of ink to surprise landing-campers when you Super Jump from your spawn point. Be careful, though! It only works once per respawn and falling offstage will not grant you one. Shoe-exclusive so that Stealth Jumpers don't gain an advantage.

Double Vibe: Gain twice the vibe for every win and lose twice the vibe for every loss. Headgear-exclusive.

Revenge: Works like Haunt, except instead of tracking the guy who splatted you it disrupts them. However, it does not last as long as a Disruptor and is still susceptible to Cold-Blooded. Clothes-exclusive to prevent Haunters from having an unfair advantage.

Squid Rampage: If you get splatted multiple times in a row in quick succession (e.g. five), you suddenly get a full Special meter right off the bat. However, the special gained thusly is inferior in every way to a normally-gained Special. Once it's spent or lost, you still have to be splatted multiple times quickly to reactivate it. (This ability would be highly unlikely given the gameplay mechanics, but I felt it would be neat in such a situation).
  • For most Specials, the time you have to prep/use it is drastically reduced.
  • Normally-invincible Specials like the Bubbler or Kraken can be destroyed with sustained enemy gunfire.
  • The Rampage Inkstrike is nerfed so that it takes longer to land and covers a smaller area.
  • Finally, Rampage Echolocator acts as if everyone on the enemy team has Cold-Blooded even when they don't.

Lock-On: Deals extra damage to targets being tracked.

Absorption: Upon splatting an opponent, you gain Ink proportional to the amount they had when you splatted them.

Failsafe: Upon fully charging your special, you become invulnerable for about a second.

Last Resort: When an enemy splats you, the resulting blast will be your team's ink color rather than theirs.
Many of these abilities sound practical for the hurting squid.

On the other hand, Last Resort can be abused by anyone wielding it. He'll intentionally go into enemy ink to get splatted so that his ink (and not the enemy)'s will be standing where he was. His foes will soon be forced to fight his on his own turf or despair as he and his team take away their turf, knowing he'll just take more upon getting splatted. I can imagine this becoming an "auto-win" button in practice.

Last edited:

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
(Snip)

Many of these abilities sound practical for the hurting squid.

On the other hand, Last Resort can be abused by anyone wielding it. He'll intentionally go into enemy ink to get splatted so that his ink (and not the enemy)'s will be standing where he was. His foes will soon be forced to fight his on his own turf or despair as he and his team take away their turf, knowing he'll just take more upon getting splatted. I can imagine this becoming an "auto-win" button in practice.
It doesn't take super long to ink over the puddle left behind by a splat, so I doubt that it will be overpowered.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Rhino Power - Increases the damage you inflict when attacking head-on (Raises damage inflicted by attacks as long as you are facing an enemy and they are facing you. Has no effect if you flank, blindside, or backstab). Significantly more powerful than Damage Up.

Snake Power - Increases the damage you deal to enemies who aren't facing you. Less powerful than Rhino Power.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
Bomb Fuse Down—Reduces the time for Splat Bombs, Suction Bombs, and Ink Mines to detonate.
Bomb Radius Up—Increases the blast radius of all bombs.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
Interesting ideas.

Range up and fire rate up on their own would be 2 op. they should both be clothing abilitys. having range up would increase your range but lesser your fire rate and having fire rate up would up your fire rate in return for a shortened range

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Ink Tank Up: Increases ink tank size by 10%. Headgear exclusive.

Special Drain: Gains extra points in the special meter whenever you splat someone. Headgear exclusive.

Vengeance: When splatted, the opponent who splatted you loses 75% of their ink tank. Clothing exclusive.

Silence: None of your weapons make any noise. Clothing exclusive.

Ink Boost: Run speed increases by 15% on your own ink, and swim speed increases by 5%. Footwear exclusive.

Moon Jump: Jump height increases by 50%. Footwear exclusive.

Burst Expert: Splatted foes explosion covers 100% more area, and does some damage to nearby foes. Footwear exclusive.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ink Canceller: Inflicting damage on enemies without splatting them with your main or subweapon will drain their ink tank.

Tracer: Inflicting damage on enemies will expose their location to your teammates on the minimap.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Ink Canceller: Inflicting damage on enemies without splatting them with your main or subweapon will drain their ink tank.

Tracer: Inflicting damage on enemies will expose their location to your teammates on the minimap.
Inflicting damage on enemies already shows you and your team where the enemy is on the mini map.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
an ability that boosts your abilitys the lower down your enemy's counter is in SZ/how close the tower/rm is to your base but lessens your abilitys the lower your counter is in SZ/how close the tower/rm is to the enemy base. (unsure of a name)

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
an ability that boosts your abilitys the lower down your enemy's counter is in SZ/how close the tower/rm is to your base but lessens your abilitys the lower your counter is in SZ/how close the tower/rm is to the enemy base. (unsure of a name)
This could also come into effect if your team is in "Danger!" in Turf Wars.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
An ability to detect enemies deploying Special Weapons (like launching Inkstrikes, using Krakens or placing Killer Wails; I'd guess it won't work with Echolocator, though). It could be added on Bomb Sniffer and rename it to just Sniffer, maybe then people would start using the ability more o_O

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
(no name): When any of your teammates are out temporarily, your ink refills faster. Maybe 1.2x for one splatted teammate, 1.4x for 2, and 1.6x for 3? Sort of like tenacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom