New Game Mode Ideas

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
^ I really like the idea, but I don't think it'll ever happen, solely because it's too similar to what we know about Rainmaker so far, only that you can take the Zapfish to the goal multiple times and that it's at each base instead of in the middle. I also highly doubt classic Urchin Underpass will ever be used again but okay.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
That sounds interesting, I'd certainly try it out if it happened. A question though, would each team have separate billboards (or separate sides of a billboard), or would they be going for the same ones? Because I think you mean the first one, I just want to be sure. And they could just mark the order with numbers, just have the graffiti have a little 1/2/3/4/5 in the corner.
yes you're there would be ten marks, 5 for your team and 5 for the other. though it might be better to have 9 with the first being the same that way it's easy to tell where to be. the only problem with 9 is symmetry due to the fact that a one sided wall can't be equidistant to two points unless the symmetrical only one way (like the rig kinda is (the rig is asymmetrical 'cuz of boxes in the top)).

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
yes you're there would be ten marks, 5 for your team and 5 for the other. though it might be better to have 9 with the first being the same that way it's easy to tell where to be. the only problem with 9 is symmetry due to the fact that a one sided wall can't be equidistant to two points unless the symmetrical only one way (like the rig kinda is (the rig is asymmetrical 'cuz of boxes in the top)).
Actually, that would work fairly well. I'm pretty sure most Splatoon maps have a center point equidistant from both spawn points, so having the first mark/billboard-thing in the center would be workable. Saltspray's a problem, but it's probably going to be more difficult to design for no matter what mode you're working with, since its layout is different from the other stages' layouts (the spawns are next to each other, rather than on opposite sides of the stage, so you have to balance with the idea that both teams start on the same side and thus can attack each other soon after leaving the spawn points in addition to going after the objectives, whereas in other stages you generally have to reach the objective area before you can see and attack the other team; there's probably more to it than that, but I dunno).

^ I really like the idea, but I don't think it'll ever happen, solely because it's too similar to what we know about Rainmaker so far, only that you can take the Zapfish to the goal multiple times and that it's at each base instead of in the middle. I also highly doubt classic Urchin Underpass will ever be used again but okay.
Yeah, I know classic Underpass is gone for good, I just included it to include every stage I've played on, since the new Underpass is fairly different (much more open, for one).
And yeah, it does seem similar to Rainmaker, but I figured the differences are significant enough to make it worth posting.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
Splatoon still has a bunch of mechanics from single player mode that could be ported to new multiplayer maps. Invisible walls/floors, invincible roombas that clean any/all ink on a surface. Zip lines, sponges, fans, and fountains!

Why don't we see any of these in multiplayer?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Splatoon still has a bunch of mechanics from single player mode that could be ported to new multiplayer maps. Invisible walls/floors, invincible roombas that clean any/all ink on a surface. Zip lines, sponges, fans, and fountains!

Why don't we see any of these in multiplayer?
Probably because Nintendo's not sure how to integrate them into stages in a balanced way. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure either; best I can come up with is having Ink Rails permanently in each team's color that connect each team's side to a center area (a large center area, with several rails to mitigate the possibility of camping at the rails). Maybe connect those areas at the far edge of Saltspray's spawn-point-platforms to the large furthermost area with the boxes with Ink Rails?

And now, another mode that has most certainly been brought up before:
OCTOLING INVASION

A mode where you get a team of yourself and 3 other Inklings and compete against another team of 4 Inklings to fend off waves of Octolings. I could see it as a combination of Splat Zones and Dr. Mario's Versus mode (probably something else, that's just the best approximation I can come up with right now), with armies of Octolings thrown in.

WAIT WAIT PLEASE JUST HEAR ME OUT

Each team would be on their own map, though their progress would be visible to the other team (by progress, I mean that the Inkling display at the top would shrink and grow depending on how many Inklings had been splatted on each team, cumulatively, and would flash Danger! if one side's Zone had been taken by the Octolings). Each team would start in the center of the map (except on Saltspray, where you would start in the topmost area with the boxes) and be assailed by Octolings armed with various weapons from both spawn point locations. The map has a Zone that the Inklings have to keep covered in their color ink for 8 minutes (usually where you spawn, but Saltspray has it in the area just beyond the starting point like it is in Splat Zones; maps with two Zones get one Zone that encompasses both Zones, except Moray, which switches to a single Zone in the center, and Triggerfish, which uses a single Zone and the Tower Control version of the map with the platform bridging the paths); if the Zone becomes controlled by the Octolings, your team has 10 seconds to get it back or you lose. Your team doesn't have a spawn point, instead spawning inside the Zone with a personal 2-second Bubbler that cannot be passed to teammates; splatted teammates cannot respawn when the Octolings control the Zone, so if your entire team is splatted while the Octolings control the Zone, you lose automatically.
The Octolings would start off fairly lightly armed, but grow in strength and numbers until they swarm the map and have mostly the powerful weapons. The Octolings' weapons include:
1) Octoshot, which acts like a Splattershot and comes with Splat Bombs.
2) Aerospray MG, which fires rapidly and attacks very aggressively and tosses Seekers.
3) New Squiffer, which can snipe aggressively and plant Ink Mines.
4) Kelp Splat Charger, which can snipe from a distance and toss Sprinklers.
5) Dynamo Roller, which can fling large amounts of ink and roll over areas and toss Sprinklers.
6) Rapid Blaster Deco, which shoots rapid exploding blasts and tosses Suction Bombs.
7) Octobrush, which can be swung for decent power, speed and turf coverage, can hold on the ground to run quickly, and can plant Squid Beakons, which act as an additional spawn point for the next wave (the AI will only plant these in designated locations).
8) Hydra Splatling, which winds up before firing powerful rapid blasts, and tosses Splat Bombs.
9) Tri-Slosher, a bucket that shoots multiple splashes at once, and slows Inklings with Disruptors.
10) Maybe others, as more weapons get added in, but I don't have any others that come to mind at the moment.
Each wave's Octolings vary from normal Octolings with any of these weapons, to Armored Octolings who have higher HP and only use Dynamo Roller/Hydra Splatling/New Squiffer (denoted by wearing the Hero Mode Armor minus the headgear), to Ninja Octolings who move slowly and only use Aerospray MG/Octobrush but are invisible while swimming in their own ink (like using Ninja Squid, would probably denoted by wearing something with Ninja Squid as its ability, or purple hairtacles), to Glowing Octolings, who tend to use the Kelp Splat Charger and Hydra Splatling and remain away from the fight (denoted by, well, glowing), and Elite Octolings, who use the Octoshot, have higher HP and deal higher damage (2-shot splat, compared to the Octoshot's 3-shot splat) (denoted by black hair and seaweed, like in Hero Mode).
The Glowing Octolings have a couple that spawn in each wave. These generally hang back, and will disappear if you defeat the rest of their wave, but splatting them sends a pair of Elite Octolings to the enemy team's side (one at each spawn point). Additionally, destroying the Octoling team's Squid Beakons sends a few Elite Octolings to the enemy team's side. Finally, if one team manages to capture one of the enemy team's spawn points (you can do this by inking it until it changes to your control), the rest of that wave (that came from that spawn point, Octolings who came from a different area or a Beakon will remain) disappears in a puff of smoke and is dropped onto the other team's side (except Elite Octolings, those remain on your side once summoned until they are splatted). However, if a spawn point is captured, that point becomes Octoling-controlled again at the start of the next wave, with a spawn-point-shield around it for 1 minute, and the Octolings who come from that point have a 4-second Bubbler that cannot be passed to other Octolings.
If one team loses control of their Zone for 10 seconds or has their entire team splatted during the 8 minute time limit, that team loses by Knockout. To decide the wining team if both teams survive for 8 minutes, the team whose Inklings were splatted the fewest times wins. If both teams have an equal amount of splatted Inklings (or none) when time is up, then Overtime begins. During Overtime, both Octoling spawn points gain spawn point shields, and an overwhelming number of Elite Octolings pour out of the Octoling spawn points and any Octoling Squid Beakons until any Inkling is splatted (in which case, the team whose Inkling was splatted loses) or until one team loses control of their Zone (in which case the team who lost control loses).
The stages would just use the Splat Zones versions of the current stages' maps, though with one Splat Zone in stages that had two, as covered earlier.

I'm not sure it'd be feasible, and I'm not sure it'd work at all (I'm falling asleep while typing this, not the best mindset to do this sort of thing), but I'd like to see what it would be like.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Statue Smasher

Ranked game mode (although if there were 4, I hope they would at least put two lobbies at a time)

At the start of the game, each player on the team has to tap a spot on the screen to place the statues (They have to be a certain distance from spawn). Once all are placed (or 30 seconds are up) all the players are sent from out spawn. Each statue can be super jumped to, has 500 hp, has a natural immunity to :splashwall:, and 75% resistance to :inkstrike:. Friendly ink fire heals the statue. The goal for each team is to destroy all the other teams statues while keeping their own one alive. Statues are hidden on the map, but :pointsensor: reveal them to your team. Any damage also reveals the statue. At the end of the 5 minutes, the team with the most statues left wins. If it is a tie, it is put into overtime, where all statues are now shown on the map. Breaking all the statues results in a win.

Squid Duel

Own seperate game mode.

1v1. Basically online battle dojo with all maps, weapons, and gear allowed.

Last edited:

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I'd love to see an 8 man free for all turf war with 8 colors. Same rules apply in turf but you are working by yourself to ink your color on the majority of the map. I don't think Nintendo will ever do this though...

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Game Mode: Ink Race/Parkour
Players in mode: Up To 8, with single-player Time Attack option and Ghost Racing possible
Rules: Get from Spawn to the Goal Point as quickly as possible while tagging the Checkpoints in order!

Parkour Mode is a mode that rewards mobility and knowledge of levels and terrain richly. Rather than attack each other, your goal is to race to hit the checkpoints in order before heading to the Goal Point! Players will earn points (and experience/money) for each checkpoint they flip successfully, but the one who hits the goal first wins an additional bonus pot of points! Learn to set ink trails efficiently while moving, so you can scale all over the board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom