• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

New Ranking Point System (In game)

1o2

Inkling Cadet
So I was just wondering, has anyone else been getting cheated out of points? I've had so many matches where I lose 12, even though the other team had an average of a higher rank, or I only gain 8 points, when we all had the same "average" rank. I've had games where I even gained 8 points, even though everyone in the lobby was A-. Can anyone give me an insight on what determines the points? I wouldn't have made this thread, but it's happening to me so often it's really starting to get on my nerves. To further prove my point, one game my team was a combination of A-'s and A's, the other team had 2 A's, an A- and one S ranked player, yet we still lost 12 points... I truly don't understand.

Has anyone else had these problems? This is all solo queue btw

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
If you place first on the losing team, you lose less points compared to placing last on the losing team.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
If you place first on the losing team, you lose less points compared to placing last on the losing team.
Really that's awesome, means that you get a prize(losing less points) when you do well but your team is hopeless. I guess it sucks if you are testing new weapons but that should really be done in Turf War if you care about Rank.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Yea, I've picked up on this, but it still doesn't explain why I would lose 12 points from an "average" rank between two teams match. Even if it's 4 B's vs 3 B's and a B+ I shouldn't lose 12 points if i have the team with B+. However this still doesn't explain why I've only gotten 8 points from a win, when literally EVERYONE in the lobby was A-.

Young Spinach

Inkling

This is absolutely not true. I have been first in pretty much every map this evening, and I'm still losing a minimum of 12, and gaining 8.

Here's what I posted in another place:

I can't be the only one that is entirely frustrated with the way the new ranking system works, right?

Not only is it totally unpredictable [i never know now if I'm going to get +8, +10, -12, -8, etc…], but it seems completely screwy. It used to be that if the other team had a stronger set of players, you get +12 for a win, and -8 for a loss. Easy.

I am consistently getting 8 points for a win, and at minimum -10 for a loss, but it's been more often than not at least -12. The last match I just played, was -15, and the enemy team had two A- players compared to my all B players.

I've been in the 90s about 15 times in the last two days [99 twice!]. It's just extremely hard that as soon as you lose, you have to win at least two to make up for that, and if you lose twice in a row, then 4-5 games. It's just…not fun anymore.

XxTheWhopperxX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XxTheWhopperxX
I've noticed this too.. I'm still struggling to figure out the pattern because I've been on top a lot of the times and yet I've lost the same amount as my friend did in squad battle. Has anybody actually figured out the algorithm for the new point system yet? I tried google and even google didn't help =(

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
It appears to be based on the average grade of your team. The only exception that I am seeing is when S ranks are on one team only. I

If you lost, and there was an S rank on your team but not the other, you probaly are going to lose 12 points, even if the S rank was the worse performer. Likewise that winning team that didn't have an S rank will probaly receive 14 points.

If you win with an S rank and the other team did not have an S rank, your probaly going to get 4-8 points. That losing team without the S can lose anywhere between 6-8 .

At least this is how it seems to me.

Chipvader

Inkling
NNID
Chipvader
It appears to be based on the average grade of your team. The only exception that I am seeing is when S ranks are on one team only. I

If you lost, and there was an S rank on your team but not the other, you probaly are going to lose 12 points, even if the S rank was the worse performer. Likewise that winning team that didn't have an S rank will probaly receive 14 points.

If you win with an S rank and the other team did not have an S rank, your probaly going to get 4-8 points. That losing team without the S can lose anywhere between 6-8 .

this much is obvious, but I've been having trouble figuring out how it measures different teammates loss/gain of points. My friend who is a lower rank seems to be losing more and gaining less and we're not sure why

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
this much is obvious, but I've been having trouble figuring out how it measures different teammates loss/gain of points. My friend who is a lower rank seems to be losing more and gaining less and we're not sure why
? what are thier performances on the team. its possible that it punishes lower ranks failure harder to prevent people from EASILY ranking up from being carried.

Zigzag991

Inkling
NNID
Zigzag991
I've always assumed that it was based on acerage rank of the other teams versus yours, but after some more matches, it doesn't hold up. This one time I remember clearly beating a team that was of equal average rank to our's (heck it might have even been lower) but I still for whatever reason got 12 points. Even if you get rewarded for placing first on your team, there are plenty of times where I place first and lose but I still get the same penalty or win in first and again still get the same reward.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone

I don't think this is right at all. When I was playing Squad Battles and we were all different ranks, we all received different rank points when we won/lost. The idea that the amount changes depending on where you placed in the team is also wrong, because when our ranks did match up we all received the same rank points at the end of the battle.

The points you receive are calculated based on your rank vs. the average rank of the other team. Nothing else.

Njok

Bouncer
I don't think this is right at all. When I was playing Squad Battles and we were all different ranks, we all received different rank points when we won/lost. The idea that the amount changes depending on where you placed in the team is also wrong, because when our ranks did match up we all received the same rank points at the end of the battle.

The points you receive are calculated based on your rank vs. the average rank of the other team. Nothing else.
Then why would someone with a higher rank get more points for a victory than someone with a lower rank on the same team?

I always thought the same thing as you, but i am pretty sure they changed this with introducing squad battles. The explanation about preventing easy ranking up seems actually quite good.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Decided to revive this thread, as I really feel like this is a problem that needs to be discussed. Today I received +6 twice from the team ranks being: 2 A's and 2 A-'s versus 3 A-s and 1 A. I got this match up twice in a row, and yes this is by leaving the lobby after the first +6 and rejoining a new one. There is literally a one rank difference, yet I gained +6? Yesterday evening I almost had a similar experience, when I was only gaining +8 when the ranks on both teams were exactly the same (2 A's and 2 A-s on both team). Yes I understand I won't receive +10 every match, but this isn't S rank where I only get +5 a win. But even then in the S ranks you gain as much as you lose with points, I am literally only gaining 6-8 and losing 10-12 every match.

Note: I was close to ranking up, as I was in the 70-90 range during all of this. Even when I was 99 and the ranks on both teams were the same, I received +8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom