New Special Weapon Idea: Splatboard

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I've swamped myself with half-baked ideas for long-form threads. Here's an idea for a Kraken Royale replacement in Splatoon 4, before it gets completely buried by all of my other ideas. I think it works well, but more opinions to confirm or deny the fact are welcome.

Splatboard

Activating the special gives the user a stylized surfboard to ride around the stage for about 7 seconds, giving them extreme mobility.
The board can move through enemy ink nearly as fast as a player can swim, leaving a trail of ink behind it. To compensate, the board has a slow turning speed and struggles to make sharp turns. It also leaves the special user completely vulnerable to attack.
While riding the board, the special user has full access to their main weapon, and can jump in place if it suits them to do so, such as rollers gaining access to their vertical flicks. The board can't be steered while the user is in mid-air, to jumping shouldn't be used frivolously.

While the Splatboard is active, its user can also enter swim form, making themselves much harder to hit and gaining access to jump and squid roll attacks reminiscent of Kraken Royale. The squid roll can also be used to more sharply change the direction of the board's movement.
The special has minimal startup and no end lag, though the user should be careful that they don't trap themselves in enemy ink.

I think that this special weapon is a perfect replacement for Kraken Royale, removing its main weakness of nullifying a player's distance pressure, removing its main strength of invincibility, and giving the user way more options. Here are a few example kits:

.52 Gal
Splash Wall + Splatboard

Heavy Splatling
Sprinkler + Splatboard

Splat Brella
Autobomb + Splatboard

Range Blaster
Suction Bomb + Splatboard

Thank you in advance for your constructive feedback.
As per usual, have a wonderful day.

Algae

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0896-1837-7869
This seems kinda like a recall-less Zipcaster that lets you rush through enemy ink, but I can't give a more detailed value judgement on this idea.

Of note, the main draw of Kraken (and the similar Baller and maybe Ultra Stamp) is the use of hardened short-range power to displace enemies up close. Kraken Royale's been said to turn a 4v4 fight into a 3v3 and a futile cat-mouse chase, if the Kraken user doesn't know how to properly disrupt a team formation. When facing the special, I regarded it as useless if I could keep holding an area without letting the Kraken touch me. I find Baller to be the best rendition of this kind of impact, because its armor can be shredded as a counterplay, whereas it can explode as either area denial or to combo with getting hit by the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom