new squid in the making:p (critique appreciated !!)

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
working on yet another oc rn and thought it would be nice to post here:3
i struggled with trying to both draw and color the splatjack in such a way where it was both interesting+appealing to look at....... if anyone has ideas on how i could improve on color theory i would appreciate it:) (no shading yet bc scary)
but besides that i'd like to talk abt the details i do like!! i'm basing my new squid boy on the bigfin reef squid, his earrings are based on their unique fins, as well as his eyes and tentacle coloring:) just little things i thought were neat. still deciding on a name but if anyone has ideas that's also appreciated:D
squidboyfrthough.png
squidboyblehhhh.png
bigfinreefsquidmybeloved.jpg
bigfinreefmybelovedp2.jpg

sketch included bc i feel the finished version makes him seem more meek and he loses some emotion bc of hidden eyebrows....... (i also just tend to like my sketches more:p)

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i love this design!! i think you incorporated the real bigfin reef squid into his design really well, the striped tentacles are a cool touch

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
working on yet another oc rn and thought it would be nice to post here:3
i struggled with trying to both draw and color the splatjack in such a way where it was both interesting+appealing to look at....... if anyone has ideas on how i could improve on color theory i would appreciate it:) (no shading yet bc scary)
but besides that i'd like to talk abt the details i do like!! i'm basing my new squid boy on the bigfin reef squid, his earrings are based on their unique fins, as well as his eyes and tentacle coloring:) just little things i thought were neat. still deciding on a name but if anyone has ideas that's also appreciated:DView attachment 13093View attachment 13094View attachment 13095View attachment 13096
sketch included bc i feel the finished version makes him seem more meek and he loses some emotion bc of hidden eyebrows....... (i also just tend to like my sketches more:p)
i think some iridescent eyes and tentacles would go a long way (based on source) but it looks really good

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
i think some iridescent eyes and tentacles would go a long way (based on source) but it looks really good
ty!!! it would definitely show off the inspiration a lot better, i'll look at some tutorials or examples before i color him again:>

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
Good, cool
But check the tentacle count!
Remember Octo 8
Squid 10
do they have it as half the tentacle number or in full? bc i feel like the basic inkling girl haircuts only have like 6 hair tentacles unless you count bangs, or the basic inkling boys had 2 tentacles

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
do they have it as half the tentacle number or in full? bc i feel like the basic inkling girl haircuts only have like 6 hair tentacles unless you count bangs, or the basic inkling boys had 2 tentacles
the idea is that inklings have 10 limbs total, but 4 of them are their arms and legs in their bipedal forms! so you essentially have 6 tentacles to work with for hairstyles. (for octolings it's 8 limbs, minus four for arms/legs, so four hair-tentacles.) the topknot/classic inkling boy hairstyle is essentially the hippie/classic inkling girl hairstyle with the front tentacles tied back (and without bangs); if you look at the back of the topknot hairstyle the four tiny tentacles are still present

be aware though there's a lot you can do that's still within the bounds of "six tentacles for hair" restriction. tentacles can be cut, sliced up (pigtail), molded into a larger chunk (banger), grilled (that one kid in the splatoon 2 art book), and more. and the bangs on certain hairs don't count towards the tentacle limit!

there's a google drive folder somewhere with examples of inkling and octoling hairstyles from artbooks and concept art and such. if i can find it again i'll send it here

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
ty:D!!! i've never heard of this but ig that's bc i never rlly had other splatoon fans to talk to abt it? i'll definitely rework his design and my other inkfish with that in mind though:)

blind_solZ

Inkster Jr.
Santa Barbra Califonia (Try and find me )
Pronouns
Inkling/tower control
The art is so amazing .0. IDK if this will work But you could try Adding the flaps as tentacles on the back Or some thing because that seems the main feature Of the squid \_o.o_/ Just some ideas. Love the artwork sometimes I Like to draw Splatoon stuff too :)

vamp1rebees

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4398-1560-3805
The art is so amazing .0. IDK if this will work But you could try Adding the flaps as tentacles on the back Or some thing because that seems the main feature Of the squid \_o.o_/ Just some ideas. Love the artwork sometimes I Like to draw Splatoon stuff too :)
he'll have some little back tentacles but they'll be pretty tiny, kind of like the choppy bleached style in game, whenever i make a ref sheet for him it'll show it off:3
ty also!!! x3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom