New Strategy/Technique: Ledge Hopping

WydrA

Inkling Commander
You've probably notice that you can't swim up a wall onto the above platform if the ink doesn't cover all the way up to very top of the wall. Some times even a small space blocks you. However you can jump these spaces if your timing is good, or if you spam x (sometimes, it's not 100% consistent for me). Not all that useful perhaps, mostly a "just in case" kind of thing.

I can't confirm this, but it's possible it may also allow you to shoot someone on the above platform a tiny bit faster. My thought process is that if you jump you and shoot, you would begin transformation before you actually appear on the platform, where as without the ledge hop, you would have to begin transformation when you level out on the platform. Basically since the enemy can't see you until you're farther into the transformation, you're vulnerable for a slightly shorter time.

Another note is that sometimes when I do it it kind of seems like the jump part of the animation is cancelled and I just kind of transform. It's possible I'm just doing it too late though.

gameonion

Full Squid
NNID
gameonion
I remember that I did something similar. I was on the top, jumped of and shot ink right afterwards. It seemed pretty easy to do.

Not sure if I explained this good enough.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Yes, exactly. Did that in the tutorial-portion.
That's where I've been testing this. Unfortunately it's also the only place I can test it right now. Hopefully when the full game launches a proper test can be had by having someone stand on a platform and see how quickly the other person appears/starts shooting in both ways and the comparing side by side with slow motion.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I think I did this accidentaly. Will test it out again tomorrow.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Sorry for Double-Post:

The part I was talking about is at 4:05. @WydrA
That looks different from what I think he described, but still useful. His speeds up the process of going up, while the one you showed seems to be more of a way to minimize the consequences of a mistake. I guess it could see some use as a way to hide from the enemy and then ascend, assuming the enemy doesn't shoot the ink you're in anyway (or if you know it's a Roller coming your way). I doubt this will ever see use on Walleye Warehouse, Saltspray Rig could create a few good chances to use it, and Urchin Underpass looks like it will have more frequent usage of it possibly (I have no experience with the other two initial maps so I can't judge).

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Unfortunately a majority of my matches were on Walleye Warehouse, which didn't give me a chance to try it out, but it worked whenever I attempted to use it on Saltspray Rig.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Sorry for Double-Post:

The part I was talking about is at 4:05. @WydrA
Oh that's slightly different than what I'm talking about. You used the jump to actually ink the gap so you could ride straight up. I'm talking about jumping the gap and possibly begin to shoot directly after the jump.

Unfortunately a majority of my matches were on Walleye Warehouse, which didn't give me a chance to try it out, but it worked whenever I attempted to use it on Saltspray Rig.
Thanks for doing some research :D glad to hear it worked well.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very neat, I think I did this a bit in the demo but I don't remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom