• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 New, trying to figure things out.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Hello all,

I've played quite a bit so far and thought I'd get my feet a little wet dabbling around in ranked. I'm level 34 and so far the dapple duelies are my all time favorite followed by the .52 gal and the splat roller. In turf wars I can usually pull off 1100-1200without The win bonus unless my team is getting stomped with the duelies. Around 700-800 with the .52 gal and usually 6-800 with the roller.

While I know in a lot of the ranked modes coverage isnt the most important thing, just thought I'd give my usual performance because I've seen a lot of people asking that first thing.

Now, my play style is rather aggressive with mild undertones of sneakyness. I still favor the ninja squid for my shirt (love circling back around through a very narrow ink trail and suprise people) but as far as the rest of the gear goes as long as It's ink saver, special charge speed increase or ink resistance I do alright. Anything to do with bombs or respawn or time saving anything really doesn't seem to do much for me at all.

I'm decent in kills, but my main problem that I need to work on is teamwork with my fellow squids. With no voice chat and only a few options it's very hard to communicate with people and I feel I may be consistently letting my team down in the teamwork area which I want to really buckle down and work on. I'm usually the one that runs in there and can kill one or two of the opposite team but unless someone follows me in it usually ends right there.

Sorry for the huge post just wanted to get all my thoughts and stuff out there before getting to my questions.

1. Is there a standard way to act/move that will help me in keeping in line with everyone else? How fast is too fast of a push?(obviously if my team is way behind me I have gone too far)

2. Just to clarify, most people use turf war to gear up their gear and then run ranked with the best stuff they have?

3. Where is a good guide for clam blitz? Think I have the others down but I was never knowingly directed anywhere that can hammer out the rules in an easy to understand manner.

4. I played a bunch of splat zones yesterday and reached b- and it told me about league.
Is that one where you have to have a full team to enter or can you online matchmake for the other people on your team. (My wife, her sister and I all play; though getting them to want to try league with me might be a stretch as even ranked is scaring them off.) We like teaming together for salmon runs, I wanted to see if league was more like salmon run or more like splatfest.

And now that I'm all the way down here i cannot remember what else I wanted to ask but if it comes to me suddenly after posting I'll throw it in there in an edit.

Thanks for reading through all that, and if you skipped to the end, the adventure is over and the hero has been defeated.

Looking forward to seeing you all out there.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
While I know in a lot of the ranked modes coverage isnt the most important thing, just thought I'd give my usual performance because I've seen a lot of people asking that first thing.
Actually, keeping map control / coverage of key areas is very important in a ranked game, just becuase that allows your team to help push or hold objectives. Having your paint color on the ground allows you to move faster, trap enemies to the pace of a snail, and makes a huge space where you can hide stealthily. Sure, while kills are important too (that's what I mainly focus on), being ink (I'm so sorry) control of the map helps your teammates kill and push the objective since they have ground to move in / restore health. So, ink your area whenever you can. And if you ink more turf, you get more specials, which can decide matches themselves.

1. Is there a standard way to act/move that will help me in keeping in line with everyone else? How fast is too fast of a push?(obviously if my team is way behind me I have gone too far)
Not really, every ranked game is different. It depends on what your opponents have / what your team has. But a general rule is to start pushing when your team has a numbers advantage (Look at the top of the screen to see how many squids alive each team has) Keep an eye on this, this will tell you if you're in a good or a bad situation.

2. Just to clarify, most people use turf war to gear up their gear and then run ranked with the best stuff they have?
It depends, most people play turf for fun, or to play against friends like I do. You can grind gear here too, but I usually grind gear in ranked too (since I'm confident enough to do so)

3. Where is a good guide for clam blitz? Think I have the others down but I was never knowingly directed anywhere that can hammer out the rules in an easy to understand manner.
I don't have much to say about clam blitz, but pay attention to the numbers on the side of the screen showing how many clams each team have. Since this will tell you if the enemies are close to making a push or not. Here's a good tips and tricks video about clam blitz

4. I played a bunch of splat zones yesterday and reached b- and it told me about league.
Is that one where you have to have a full team to enter or can you online matchmake for the other people on your team. (My wife, her sister and I all play; though getting them to want to try league with me might be a stretch as even ranked is scaring them off.) We like teaming together for salmon runs, I wanted to see if league was more like salmon run or more like splatfest.
League is just playing ranked with some friends. You can play in pairs of 2 or teams of 4, (tri squads aren't allowed). There will also be 7 placement matches to determine what your power level will be. After that, you can still play matches to try and raise that initial power level. The session ends at the end of the rotation, and the game will take your score and put it on a leaderboard with all the other teams who played in that same 2 hour session. You can also see your results in the league menu, and seeing what medal you got: Bronze, Silver, or Gold.

Hope I answered your questions :)

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Is there no way to play ranked with friends? I heard that League doesn't let you rank up and I hate having to 50/50 with ransoms.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Is there no way to play ranked with friends? I heard that League doesn't let you rank up and I hate having to 50/50 with ransoms.
Yup, no way to rank up with friends. You have to deal with randoms every time unfortunately.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Yup, no way to rank up with friends. You have to deal with randoms every time unfortunately.
I love Nintendo to pieces, I can't stress that enough, but they are no good when it comes to logic.

That's sad. As sad as Splatfest needing 3 other friends to team up. I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom