• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread (11/12/15)

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
it wasn't a direct. it was a catchup on their press releases. there were some cool surprises, but not enough for a direct. everything shown could have been spread out in different announcements. instead, we get information we already had, and a tiny bit of reveal, for months of silence.

not a good trade. and kind of an insult to their fanbase and customers who waited that long for news.
Well it's a direct not E3. The reason they have mainly been announcing things in small individual announcements in recent history is cause Nintendo Directs were down after Iwata's passing. This was more a recap on everything with some new stuff sprinkled in.

Reactions: 1o2

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Well it's a direct not E3. The reason they have mainly been announcing things in small individual announcements in recent history is cause Nintendo Directs were down after Iwata's passing. This was more a recap on everything with some new stuff sprinkled in.
This is actually how I prefer it. Unfortunately, now people are expecting constant big name drops with every single direct, or possibility of Nintendo making a presence somewhere. Then people get upset, complain all day because the one thing they want wasn't added, and repeat.

With updates on previously revealed games and sprinkling small bits and pieces of new stuff, it keeps people guessing just enough, and it doesn't keep fans too in the dark. I personally prefer this. Perhaps there is a small pool of us though.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Bill: [mentions animal crossing]
Me: omg....
Bill: ...dice
Me:
Lol, skewer me if you want, but I'm actually looking forward to that game.
I like chill games like that. Animal Crossing has always done that exceptionally well, so I'm looking forward to getting this bad boy in the mail. I know it's getting a lot of flack, but I'm actually excited for it.

Of course, I'd prefer AC Wii U, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Silver_1357

Semi-Pro Squid
To make my statement short, I'm just going to buy everything that comes out in 2016.

Thanks for the hype refill, Nintendo.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
For some stupid reason, I thought at first Tantalus was the COD devs, then I remember the COD dev's name is Treyarch. I thought Nintendo would do the port, but these guys are doing it? So it's going to be playing the lottery now if it's good or not. Greaaaaaaaaat.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
For some stupid reason, I thought at first Tantalus was the COD devs, then I remember the COD dev's name is Treyarch. I thought Nintendo would do the port, but these guys are doing it? So it's going to be playing the lottery now if it's good or not. Greaaaaaaaaat.
They should've done the TP port themselves or Grezzo instead of Tantalus. I swear, Nintendo's getting more laughable to me every year. Almost in Sega or Ubisoft levels of hilarity.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
They should've done the TP port themselves or Grezzo instead of Tantalus. I swear, Nintendo's getting more laughable to me every year. Almost in Sega or Ubisoft levels of hilarity.
Well not like they're gonna get a AAA developer to work on an HD remake. Waste of resources. Grezzo looking at their history works on a lot of portable platform titles so they wouldn't fit the bill. If anything they should've gotten Bauhaus and HexaDrive since they worked on Wind Waker HD.

The thing is still just and HD remake, we're not looking for anything ground breaking.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
My main issue with Tantalus doing the port is that I have no idea if they'll give Twilight Princess justice. I mean, Nintendo is going to check it for quality and push them unlike other publishers, but it looks like all they did was put it on the Wii U, updates textures and then called it a day. When I heard it got leaked, I kinda expected a Wind Waker HD kind of deal with updated graphics and positive changes to the game. But it looks like a straight port.

It's so sad they're a shell of their former selves right now, I hope they get better and rise up like a champ like they were back in the 90's. But at this rate, you're right and "Super Mario Boom", and "Legend of Zelda Syndicate" don't seem that far fetched at all on the path they're taking...

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
My main issue with Tantalus doing the port is that I have no idea if they'll give Twilight Princess justice. I mean, Nintendo is going to check it for quality and push them unlike other publishers, but it looks like all they did was put it on the Wii U, updates textures and then called it a day. When I heard it got leaked, I kinda expected a Wind Waker HD kind of deal with updated graphics and positive changes to the game. But it looks like a straight port.

It's so sad they're a shell of their former selves right now, I hope they get better and rise up like a champ like they were back in the 90's. But at this rate, you're right and "Super Mario Boom", and "Legend of Zelda Syndicate" don't seem that far fetched at all on the path they're taking...
They really should've done better with the port. It looks even worse than it did before. Don't know why they think it's a good idea to let a company with a track record of mediocre licensed games do an 'HD' re-release of TP. Okay, they did change some of the textures and they got rid of the blurriness, but it's not enough. I'm ashamed of Nintendo in thinking Tantalus are someone that makes quality games and/or ports. It's like having someone like Big Red Button do a Metroid game.

It doesn't help that their games seem to be in almost the same quality as any other game from another game company. If they keep on doing this, they will go bankrupt unless they already are.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I mean, considering it's simply an HD remake, I don't know how much they could really go about "messing it up". They're not exactly reputable I'll admit, but I'm not entirely sure how they can muck an HD remake.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
Kinda unfair to compare TP HD to WW HD since with Wind Waker GC still looked good. All they did with update the lighting, bump up the resolution, and made a few game play.

To make look good TP it's going to take a lot of remodeling and new Textures.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Wind Waker HD's main difference for me was how much better the sailing was, the entire Great Sea was loaded at once, instead of the part you're currently at. And reducing the tedium for the Triforce Hunt part of the game and the Tingle Bottles and The improved Deluxe Pictobox with it telling you in advance if your picture could be accepted for the gallery made 100% the game so much easier than before and makes the original not worth playing anymore with how much they improved it.

I'll see about Twilight Princess, but it doesn't look promising from the developers is what I'm worried about. It's like Nintendo hiring Arzest (Formerly Artoon) to make Yoshi game after Yoshi game when they have proven they can't make games for ****. I'm cautious is all, and yes it's a port. But you can screw up a port. Look at Silent Hill Collection for an example.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It goes both ways. Look at Big Red Button; supposedly made up of former Playstation-era platformer developers (I think they were from Naughty Dog? I don't remember the full details), but you wouldn't know it from the "game" they put out last year.* So while those credentials have me worried as well, it's no guarantee that it too will be complete ****. We'll just have to wait and see—I will, at least.

(*From what I remember, the Boom situation wasn't entirely BRB's fault, but the point still stands.)

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
Wind Waker HD's main difference for me was how much better the sailing was, the entire Great Sea was loaded at once, instead of the part you're currently at. And reducing the tedium for the Triforce Hunt part of the game and the Tingle Bottles and The improved Deluxe Pictobox with it telling you in advance if your picture could be accepted for the gallery made 100% the game so much easier than before and makes the original not worth playing anymore with how much they improved it.

I'll see about Twilight Princess, but it doesn't look promising from the developers is what I'm worried about. It's like Nintendo hiring Arzest (Formerly Artoon) to make Yoshi game after Yoshi game when they have proven they can't make games for ****. I'm cautious is all, and yes it's a port. But you can screw up a port. Look at Silent Hill Collection for an example.
Fair point but we haven't seen any real gameplay. So there's not much to judge other then art style but i see your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom