• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Off TV play for Splatoon?

youthCAT1590

Pro Squid
Does anyone know if it's been mentioned anywhere if Splatoon will feature off tv play? I assume the single player will support it but what about the online? I'd love to be able to play online anywhere in my house. Anyone heard or seen the devs confirm or deny this anywhere in interviews or something. I've searched but haven't been able to find anything.

youthCAT1590

Pro Squid
Yea, I thought about that but I guess I was hoping they might implement a button press option for spawning on team mates allowing for off tv play. But o well, just a minor inconveinence if it's not an option. No biggie.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If the game doesn't rely too highly on the map I'd definitely like that. I can't really see the TV without my glasses so it'd be nice to have the gamepad as an option. :)

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
As has already been pointed out, it's unlikely that off-TV play will be used for online.

However, it will more than likely be implemented for Single Player, as @youthCAT1590 said initially.

Reactions: Lyn

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think it's highly unlikely considering how much they emphasize the use of the map on the gamepad screen in online multiplayer
Isn't the pro controller confirmed to be useable and does it not have a button designed to launch to a teammate? (I'm actually not sure).

With that said, I'm not sure what button on the gamepad would be used for squid jumping so I also have to agree it is more of a possibility to not have it.

I would love to see it though.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Isn't the pro controller confirmed to be useable and does it not have a button designed to launch to a teammate? (I'm actually not sure).

With that said, I'm not sure what button on the gamepad would be used for squid jumping so I also have to agree it is more of a possibility to not have it.

Pro controller is only confirmed for use by the second player in local 1v1 Dojo mode. You don't really need a map in that mode and there's no teammates to launch to :p

It could be possible to support Pro Controller/Gamepad only off-TV if they just added a button to toggle a map overlay so you could select team members and target specials, but I feel that goes a bit against their design intentions of having the map always open for you to quickly scope out the state of the battlefield, and that feature is also one of the main supports for their decision to omit built in voice chat.

Rescue22

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CheckMyAboutMe
I hope they do, that's one of the biggest uses for me with the Gamepad, not being confined to my TV. One way or another I'll have to get over it, but my hopes are still high for off TV play.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Pro controller is only confirmed for use by the second player in local 1v1 Dojo mode. You don't really need a map in that mode and there's no teammates to launch to :p

It could be possible to support Pro Controller/Gamepad only off-TV if they just added a button to toggle a map overlay so you could select team members and target specials, but I feel that goes a bit against their design intentions of having the map always open for you to quickly scope out the state of the battlefield, and that feature is also one of the main supports for their decision to omit built in voice chat.
I hope they do that with the pro controller tho.
But yah as others have said its not very likely for off-tv-play

youthCAT1590

Pro Squid
Off-TV Play is just my favorite feature of the Wii U so I'd love for every game to have it. But of course I understand the devs reasoning if they don't include the option for Splatoon while playing online. Just a minor inconvienence. I'll get over it. Still hoping the option is there though. lol.

michael

Inkling
Plus the way that Nintendo advertises is using the gyro controls. Having to move your own screen would also hurt the chances. I know you can turn the gyro controls off, but you also don't need to look at the map or jump to teammates to play the game.

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii

You are unable to use the pro controller thus dictating the gamepad is required and Off-TV gameplay thereby impossible.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
If there isn't off TV play, that would be a huge blow to how much I play it :(

*prays to squid-jesus*

NNID
adventuretimerap
I've been playing it all day and there was no off-TV play option to be found :(
However The 1v1 Multiplayer Does use off-TV for split screen so it's very possible it could be added in a future update

Inu

Inkling
Correct me if im wrong. But wouldn't off TV play be an advantage? You'd have to reset the camera less right? AND it'd be a lot more immersive as well?

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
I can easily see how the game can be redesigned to support off tv play.

The map can be made to pop up on screen when holding start or select. Super jumping can be moved to the d-pad ("booyah" and "c'mon" being moved to the face buttons to make room), with your teammates and the spawn being assigned to each direction and holding L can let you select beacons instead. Nintendo can even make it so that holding the button can show you the general area around where you may super jump to do you can see if it's safe to jump. And inkstrikes can be used the same way airstrikes are in Call of Duty.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
I mean there is a debug feature that switches the TV and Gamepad screens but none of it's in the production code :\ I could probably do it anyways but it'd get messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom