Offline Splatoon Tournaments?

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Because it's literally impossible to do. . .

Not sure how that isn't blatantly obvious.
Well...there's always the Battle Dojo but I don't believe anyone has ever seen the inside of that place.

But seriously, in reality it's because setting up a local tournament would be a huge hassle. The people at Nintendo explained that their setup resulted in communication issues between GamePads and the systems which would not be fun to deal with. You'd also need some good internet to handle all the connections.

Or, you know. Battle Dojo

Charlight

Meme Spy
Because it's literally impossible to do. . .

Not sure how that isn't blatantly obvious.
??

8 Wii U's -> Switch

It's entirely possible. Whether the gamepads operating on the same frequency would pose an issue or not is another question. There's a LAN tournament being held in Italy soon that I might go to, I guess we'll see what happens there.

Nexus| Taka

Inkling
NNID
mattakataka
We currently host COD Lan tournaments with spectator for the stream, so if they could do the same for splatoon that would be great =)

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
??

8 Wii U's -> Switch

It's entirely possible.
So uh the thing with this is that it's possible, just hard to do. And the community is not big enough to be able to host a local tournament in one spot and expect teams to get themselves there.

There's plenty of other threads that have discussed this. In short, local tournaments are hard to do and nobody knows exactly where to start and at what location and how to get 8 wii us for one set up and.......yeah.

There's a movement going on for LAN & Spectator mode! :) Make this game competitive guys!
I mean, that's been around for a while, and we have a online competitive scene. There's plenty going for us right now.

we just really need spectator. like really really really need spectator. That'd make things so much easier for casts.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
So why aren't there any offline splatoon tournaments?
At the moment, I'm attempting to try and make that into a thing around my local area (NYC specifically)

The real question is why are YOU not making it a thing around your area? :p

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
It's not feasible without having a large amount of capital to pay for a relatively large space as well as at least rent 8 TVs per game that goes on at once. This means you need Several TVs to even think about hosting a decently sized LAN tournament without being in the building until Splatoon Two comes out.

Then you HAVE to mandate people bring their own wii Us so they can use their own gear and character. This also means you spend time between every game unsetting up 8 wii Us then setting up 8 new Wii Us, logging in, getting everything in order, connecting, etcetra. This runs up your timetable a large amount. You'll also have to pay for any wii U's you buy and grind up to use as emergency "oh **** someone didn't bring their wii U or something went wrong with a wii U" Wii Us, which you will need a few of.

It's just not feasible for most people to do as it is. I mean it's not impossible per se, but it's at the very least a pain in the *** and is a huge investment for someone, and that someone will not make his investment back.

Online has its own problems like the oft cited lack of spectator making it impossible to cast games at all without the team having its own streamer. But at least it can be played and tournaments for it can be set up relatively easily enough.

Charlight

Meme Spy
Like, I don't know what some people expect sometimes lol. It's not like Nintendo can release an update for you to need less than 8 TVs and Wii U's to host a LAN tournament. The LAN part of the 'LAN and Spectator Mode' movement was only added due to lots of people requesting it, even though we always knew true LAN was possible.

Nagastrike

Inkling
NNID
DCG_Naga
So uh the thing with this is that it's possible, just hard to do. And the community is not big enough to be able to host a local tournament in one spot and expect teams to get themselves there.

There's plenty of other threads that have discussed this. In short, local tournaments are hard to do and nobody knows exactly where to start and at what location and how to get 8 wii us for one set up and.......yeah.

I mean, that's been around for a while, and we have a online competitive scene. There's plenty going for us right now.

we just really need spectator. like really really really need spectator. That'd make things so much easier for casts.
Has the LAN & Spectator movement been going on for a while? YES! Is it wrong to mention it still going on? NO! We want support for it right? Then keep talking about it. There will always be new squids that don't know. Or maybe people have just overlooked the thread etc etc. as for competitive, I thought most everyone knew there was a competitive online scene right now. What I really meant by "Make this game competitive" was to improve the play. Obviously LAN is better than online. Really how far can we take this game with online only? A lot of people have speculated the game to die off rather quickly unless a LAN mode can be integrated. Regardless, I'll be playing this game online if we never get LAN. Splatoon is kinda like Crack-Cocaine.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Has the LAN & Spectator movement been going on for a while? YES! Is it wrong to mention it still going on? NO! We want support for it right? Then keep talking about it. There will always be new squids that don't know. Or maybe people have just overlooked the thread etc etc. as for competitive, I thought most everyone knew there was a competitive online scene right now. What I really meant by "Make this game competitive" was to improve the play. Obviously LAN is better than online. Really how far can we take this game with online only? A lot of people have speculated the game to die off rather quickly unless a LAN mode can be integrated. Regardless, I'll be playing this game online if we never get LAN. Splatoon is kinda like Crack-Cocaine.
Yeah fair enough. I just wanted to make sure you were all caught up. You never know around here who's read what. :)

Nexus| Taka

Inkling
NNID
mattakataka
At the moment, I'm attempting to try and make that into a thing around my local area (NYC specifically)

The real question is why are YOU not making it a thing around your area? :p
I own the Competitive Gaming Store The Nexus Gaming in Union City, NJ. www.TheNexusGaming.com

We currently have 6 Wii U's and I would be down to buy 2 more Wii U's I just came here to see if a lan tournament was possible before dropping capital on splatoon games =).

Union City is super close to nyc, around 15 minutes by taking the 125 or 123 bus, so if you want to contact me to combine and start a scene I would be willing to invest time and capital since we already have a space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom