• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

ON or OFF: Motion controls

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I use motion. when people are close, I use motion 100%. if they are far I use a mix, of sticks and motion.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
@Award

Sorry, I should clarify. By "high-accuracy," I mean a weapon that has to be aimed carefully in order to land each shot (as opposed to more spray'n'pray type weapons like the Splattershot Jr. and Sploosh-O-Matic).

Like, if I'm using the .96 Gal, I can't afford to miss any shots on account of the gun's slow rate of fire. The problem with using the R-Stick to aim in this case is, well, how do I put this... releasing the stick centers your aim on one spot, and if it's not at a good-enough angle it requires some fine-tuning to correct, which depending on the sensitivity can be a pain in the neck... with motion controls, that issue is lessened by virtue of being able to freely aim...

I liken it to using a charger, where aiming with the motion controls allows you to follow your target with relative ease. Using the R-Stick, I find myself stopping the cursor, only to have to move it again when the targeted squiddo flees again... it's a convenience thing, really.

(Incidentally, I get the feeling the H-3 Nozzlenoze is a better example, but I'm even less familiar with that gun, so I wouldn't know for sure.)
That makes sense, and I'd really apply it to most weapons in the game except sploosh, aero, and maybe Jr. But .96 is closer to those than almost anything else :) That's why everyone gets frustrated by it "they get 2hko and don't even have to aim!"

Yeah, H3 is precisely accurate. Slow, but precise. That's a good example. Maybe break it down the middle and go with SSP since people seem to compare that with .96, but it needs accuracy, much like a charger.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I play with motion controls. All I needed was some getting used to. Because on every other shooter on console it's dual sticks. So I started with sticks. Because there is no aim assist at all in Splatoon aiming with dual sticks is not so great, and to top it all off the mobility options you have in this game makes it harder to track you target with sticks.
I played the campaign and did the amiibo challenges to get used to motion controls. And now I can't really turn them off.

shy

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2855-0246-7213
I've been using motion controls ever since I got this game.
I might try stick controls to see what it's like.

mewzuls

Inkling
I've been using motion controls ever since I got this game.
I might try stick controls to see what it's like.
I've had some friends from other shooters play, and apparently the stick controls are just plain terrible. I kind of agree; it seems like the devs just added in stick controls as an afterthought for anyone already used to shooters.

I've also been using motion since the beginning.

Award

I've had some friends from other shooters play, and apparently the stick controls are just plain terrible. I kind of agree; it seems like the devs just added in stick controls as an afterthought for anyone already used to shooters.

Stick controls are no more horrible than in any other game. The difference is other console games have "aim assist" or "auto aim" to make it almost shoot for you (it snaps to your intended target or applies a sensitivity "gravity" near targetable objects.) Splatoon does not, it's a free camera like a PC shooter. Playing with sticks would be like playing PC Destiny with arrow keys instead of a mouse. Playing with motion is like playing with a mouse. Having a free camera (like PC shooters have always had) just reveals how awful stick controls always were if the game doesn't help aim for you.

Sparkly Ink

Full Squid
NNID
SparklyGabite
I have been playing the game now for about 2 months. I'm level 36 or something. I have tried to learn the motion controls but it is very confusing for me. I have never even played a game before this that required me to really control the camera so it is all overwhelming. I would like to learn MC.... I just dont know if I will ever fully have the patience to get it.
I used to use the roller to get around using the camera for the first month and a half or so.

Award

I have been playing the game now for about 2 months. I'm level 36 or something. I have tried to learn the motion controls but it is very confusing for me. I have never even played a game before this that required me to really control the camera so it is all overwhelming. I would like to learn MC.... I just dont know if I will ever fully have the patience to get it.
I used to use the roller to get around using the camera for the first month and a half or so.
It's kind of like using a camera. If you've spent any time using a camera with LiveView (or phone camera) it would probably help to think of it that way. You hold it at any angle and just turn it around to aim. In fact it's exactly like using a camera, except it has sticks to rotate instead of having to physically rotate.

Unless you're one of those photographers that chops heads off...then there's no hope for you. :D

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
If you're struggling with motion controls, try hurling the controller against the floor as hard as possible. I can almost guarantee you won't have a problem with them after that.

Award

If you're struggling with motion controls, try hurling the controller against the floor as hard as possible. I can almost guarantee you won't have a problem with them after that.
The motion controls would probably still work. The map on the other hand would probably not. But, then, nobody on my team uses it anyway... ;)

Sparkly Ink

Full Squid
NNID
SparklyGabite
LOL you guys! i keep trying every so often late at night in the test zones with the motion controls. i have seen a lot of posts mention that it is better to play with them on, so i will continue to try... but right now i'm just proud i've been able to use the camera stick to aim

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco

Have to somewhat agree with your friends the game is fine but the game pad and pro controller has bad sticks on them because of this it's tough to make small adjustments when aiming.

Award

Have to somewhat agree with your friends the game is fine but the game pad and pro controller has bad sticks on them because of this it's tough to make small adjustments when aiming.
Nah, the sticks are fine. Some complain about a large dead zone on the Pro controller, but both sticks play the (scarce) other shootres that act like normal console shooters just fine (COD BlOps2, Ghosts, Mass Effect (an RPG shooter (thanks, EA!)), etc. Those have auto-aim. Splatoon's true free cam just shows what bad inputs those other games hide :)

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
Nah, the sticks are fine. Some complain about a large dead zone on the Pro controller, but both sticks play the (scarce) other shootres that act like normal console shooters just fine (COD BlOps2, Ghosts, Mass Effect (an RPG shooter (thanks, EA!)), etc. Those have auto-aim. Splatoon's true free cam just shows what bad inputs those other games hide :)
No the stick are pretty bad for adjusting the aim because they don't pick up slightly movement like a 360 controller would. (which makes being a good sniper almost impossible with stick controllers)

Award

No the stick are pretty bad for adjusting the aim because they don't pick up slightly movement like a 360 controller would. (which makes being a good sniper almost impossible with stick controllers)
360 controller was too sensitive for its own good though, it very commonly developed drift issues as a result of too narrow a dead zone and too steep an acceleration curve. Any slight out-of-true would cause it to drift. That's a big reason why no 8th gen console is as sensitive, including XBone. I went through 4 360 controllers.

Though no matter how much "worse" the WiiU sitcks might be, it's not remotely possible to be as horrid for shooters as the DualShock series' stumpy little sticks. Try those things without auto-aim if you're into masochism. :D

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
360 controller was too sensitive for its own good though, it very commonly developed drift issues as a result of too narrow a dead zone and too steep an acceleration curve. Any slight out-of-true would cause it to drift. That's a big reason why no 8th gen console is as sensitive, including XBone. I went through 4 360 controllers.

Though no matter how much "worse" the WiiU sitcks might be, it's not remotely possible to be as horrid for shooters as the DualShock series' stumpy little sticks. Try those things without auto-aim if you're into masochism. :D
The sensitive on the 360 is what made it so great for shooters. You need that speed in competitive shooters plus it pick up movement well making it easier. Also the 360 sticks had dent on the sticks making it more comfortable on your thumbs.

I agree the 360 controller had the drift issues but at least for me it only happen after 1000s hours of me using it and only had to buy 3 360 controller (unlike the NGC where i had to buy 8 or 9 controllers for)

also i haven't played with a PS Controller since i was 6 back on the PS1 so i don't know much at all about DualShock problems so i'll that you word for that.

Award

The sensitive on the 360 is what made it so great for shooters. You need that speed in competitive shooters plus it pick up movement well making it easier. Also the 360 sticks had dent on the sticks making it more comfortable on your thumbs.

I agree the 360 controller had the drift issues but at least for me it only happen after 1000s hours of me using it and only had to buy 3 360 controller (unlike the NGC where i had to buy 8 or 9 controllers for)

also i haven't played with a PS Controller since i was 6 back on the PS1 so i don't know much at all about DualShock problems so i'll that you word for that.
I cringe whenever I hear "competitive shooter" and the word "stick" in the same sentence. Nintendo fan for life, but was PC in the early era of shooters. I learned shooters on the mouse, played loosely competitively (back before the word "e-sports" existed), and when I first picked up console shooters I was like "you've got to be kidding!" I even had those "stick extenders" on the 360 controller....they weren't bad, but then they space your thumb out too far. :)

Yeah, the dent on the sticks was nice, that's one thing Nintendo missed out on, though it at least has the ring to keep your finger from slipping off totally. 360's sticks though were indeed failure prone. I loved the controller, but everything about it was built for shooters, and other genres always felt wrong on it. That's the success and failure of the XBox brand, it's a machine designed for shooters. Everything else comes second, and thus, everything else went Sony.

DualShocks are just....ugh. It's like Nintendo's controls, but goes waay in the other direction. PS2 sticks were horrible, PS3 sticks almost seem better until you realize they're worse. PS4 sticks...they definitely improved it, but I'd still consider it, for shooters, a second to Nintendo's. They feel nice but they handle sloppy with a hard center.

Then again, the quality of the sticks is a mute point when we have motion controls that emulate mice pretty well, which is the way shooters were designed to be played anyway. It's the 3rd stick and more precise than the first two without a centering spring. :)

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
I cringe whenever I hear "competitive shooter" and the word "stick" in the same sentence. Nintendo fan for life, but was PC in the early era of shooters. I learned shooters on the mouse, played loosely competitively (back before the word "e-sports" existed), and when I first picked up console shooters I was like "you've got to be kidding!" I even had those "stick extenders" on the 360 controller....they weren't bad, but then they space your thumb out too far. :)

Yeah, the dent on the sticks was nice, that's one thing Nintendo missed out on, though it at least has the ring to keep your finger from slipping off totally. 360's sticks though were indeed failure prone. I loved the controller, but everything about it was built for shooters, and other genres always felt wrong on it. That's the success and failure of the XBox brand, it's a machine designed for shooters. Everything else comes second, and thus, everything else went Sony.

DualShocks are just....ugh. It's like Nintendo's controls, but goes waay in the other direction. PS2 sticks were horrible, PS3 sticks almost seem better until you realize they're worse. PS4 sticks...they definitely improved it, but I'd still consider it, for shooters, a second to Nintendo's. They feel nice but they handle sloppy with a hard center.

Then again, the quality of the sticks is a mute point when we have motion controls that emulate mice pretty well, which is the way shooters were designed to be played anyway. It's the 3rd stick and more precise than the first two without a centering spring. :)
I don't know i played a lot of other games with the 360 and other then fighting games and 2D games (because of that god awful controller pad). I never really had much problems with it for most genres but this could be a personal preference.

I do agree that one thing the 360's library was pretty much 80% shooters but then again the 360 was Heavily supported but American companies which most them made shooters. It really didn't have that that Japan exclusives games support like Nintendo or Sony had.

Even with Motion Controls if your going to have a Options of using stick then one should work just as good as the other. If they couldn't then why have the Option at all.

Award

I don't know i played a lot of other games with the 360 and other then fighting games and 2D games (because of that god awful controller pad). I never really had much problems with it for most genres but this could be a personal preference.

I do agree that one thing the 360's library was pretty much 80% shooters but then again the 360 was Heavily supported but American companies which most them made shooters. It really didn't have that that Japan exclusives games support like Nintendo or Sony had.
Yeah, but that was the sad state of the 360 - the original XBox was actually built on the Japanese game niche. It had more Japanese RPG imports than the GCN, and they did so intentionally to build their audience (and along with Sega who they hired to help build it.) Then they did a 180 on the 360 and made a dudebro shooter box and followed the trend of the moment. The XBone is paying the price for that move now since they never really developed their own market, they just let EA define it for them. They also ruined what was the most perfect controller of last gen (I still say the Nintendo Pro Controller is even more comfortable without the odd stick layout.)

Even with Motion Controls if your going to have a Options of using stick then one should work just as good as the other. If they couldn't then why have the Option at all.
For the same reason Iwata had to tweet a few weeks before his death that Starfox Zero will support stick controls even though Miyamoto had said for months that it was designed around the motion controls: Fan rage.

Splatoon was the first real game to really NEED the motion controls and be designed around them. The much needed "reason for the gamepad." Starfox is the second. But raging fans want it to control like the N64 did (and the Wii's waggle controls didn't help the image of motion in a practical way.) Sticks are included to appease fans, but I don't think they ever expected them to be "as good as" motion controls which is, by definition, a significantly higher resolution input device.

Conversely you can play Destiny on PC on a trackball from 1998, but it won't control as well as a Razer DeathAdder because it's lower resolution (and awkward to move.)

FWIW, comments from Platinum suggest, despite Iwata telling fans SF:0 will support sticks, Miyamoto seems to be drifting from that and doubling down on "use the motion controls as designed."

It's good to have options. If you really hate motion, or have, say a hand injury or arm injury that limits motion etc, it's nice the option exists. But I don't think it needs to be "as good as" if it physically isn't possible due to the improvement being the main purpose of the gyro input. I think Miyamoto would agree with you though - if it's meant for motion, and motion is better, make motion mandatory. Personally I'm glad the alternative exists, so long as the player knows it's a limiting input due to its mechanical nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom