One big Rainmaker no no...

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Maybe many of you know this, but please do not retreat any significant amount when you have the rainmaker! Just let yourself get splatted. It's ok. It only hurts a little :)

If you're in a situation where the enemy is dominating and you have to retreat significantly it's more likely you'll get splatted than survive anyway. So it's better to more or less hold your ground, do your best, and get splatted as far forward as possible.

I've lost more than a few games instigated by my teammates retreating quite far back with the rainmaker. It's tempting to avoid getting splatted, but it's ok to get splatted sometimes. Sometimes it's even good!

NNID
cgame92
I mostly always try to push forward when I get it no matter the case. Isn't always the best plan but it's what I do. If I played with a actual squad I wouldn't do that though since I would be talking to them and would play safer

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
I always tell myself to make a B-line for the goal. I die most of the time but I make progress.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Funny, I've never been teamed with anyone with that problem. Lucky me? (I haven't played Rainmaker in such a long time though, so my memories of it may be distorted.)

I think I was like that the first few times I played it, in spite of reading the rules twice. I had to take a back seat and watch my teammates to get the full gist of what to do. And now, well, I'm better than that now.

Although I would argue that retreating can be justified if and only if there's a teammate nearby who can cover you.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Yes if your teammates seem to be in control then fine. But when there's the temptation to retreat significantly it's usually because the other team has the advantage. It's better to just get splatted.

By the way, I'm seeing this in A to S range games. It's happened to me a few times just this past week...

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I get what you're saying. I did this once in a match where the enemy had made a significant advance and i just kept grabbing the rainmaker to keep them from reclaiming it and moving it further inward, and i did this for long enough that we got the entire team down in that area and won a knock out.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Actually, you can use this strategy in certain situations. One such situation happened earlier yesterday...

During the end of the game, at Hammerhead Bridge, my team decided to walk back to base because we knew the enemy team had no special fully charged, and that they had tons of turf to cover before reaching us. Basically we stalled and said "Booyah!" for the last ten seconds. This was when we had a lead, and where getting further points means easily entering into overtime.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Yes, I call that hoarding :) A different thing and usually not unsafe.

Although one time my team was losing on Arowana Mall and the opposing team was hoarding the Rainmaker in the last 30 or so seconds back up where it's hard to get to. We managed to get to him and splat the other team in the process and got the rainmaker on the pedestal. It was awesome!

Hoarding is not my favourite thing because it's essentially trying to take the ball out of play so the other team can't win, but I know many players do that. It makes me nervous when my teammates do it but it's not usually unsafe.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
Agree. Grab RM run to pedestal. Just don't always shove it in the front door. Try a different route sometimes.

16bitdave

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
16bitdave
Switch Friend Code
SW-4349-8419-7001
I always get sad when I see we have the RM and it starts coming back to our side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom