• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Only one ranked mode is available at a time

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Mode rotation is a really bad decision, Nintendo. It was okay for the maps, but modes take the whole being related to real time and everything a little too far in my opinion.
A lot about this topic has been discussed here already. The waiting time between matches would probably go up if they split the playerbase, but oh well. would it be really THAT BAD that the only viable option is to kick full modes out of the rotation? If that's actually the reason, Nintendo should quickly start to re-work their netcode...

I hope they will give us more freedom in the game once we get the August update. If they don't, people (especially casuals and we need them to keep the competitive playerbase fresh, everyone starts as a casual player) will get annoyed and the era of Splatoon will end soon, even though it's such a great game.

Hrafn

Inkling
NNID
Thursfield
I have a really hard time understanding this... As have been mentioned at length, most people might have one or a few hours to play, and logging on and finding that their prefered game mode in unavoidable will cause a LOT of frustration. Maybe even people choosing not to play at all at that time.

Why not just make the two ranked maps the same for both ranked game mode (to save us from even lengthier map presentations) and let people choose? I really hope that will be the case after this, I hope, forced test run.

SaltySplatoon

Inkling
NNID
bandkid45
My initial reaction to Tower Control after about 15 games:

It's really fast-paced, which is good when compared to the Splat Zone turtling. That can be really unfun sometimes.
Blasters are the FOTW for that mode for some reason. I'm having a hard time adjusting to shooting just above my targets so I can get the explosion. Also, when people get right up next to you, the Blaster does weird things.
Somehow, Luna Blasters especially seems as if it can shoot just as far as the normal Blaster. This could be due to the Squid, Hop, Shoot, Squid technique people love to employ.
My teammates in more than half of these 15 games would tunnel vision past the tower and be deep in enemy territory as the tower is heading toward our side. I just don't understand how people lose sight of the primary objective so easily.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I think the lack of choice for what game mode you wanted to play was relatively ridiculous. I can see WHY they did it: they want to ensure they don't split the player base up too much to where people can't find games fast enough, but restricting the game modes players can play due to that is ridiculous. I'd rather wait through a 2 minute wait time or something due to player split than have to wait 4 bloody hours for a reroll if the game mode I want to play isn't up in that rotation.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I posted this on the splatoon reddit and i'll share it here as well:

I can definitely see this getting a ton of disappointment. My skype group was arguing over this for an hour, lol. We tried to put ourselves in the developers' shoes though, and tried to understand the reasoning behind this. The reason we came up with makes sense, I think:

Splatoon sold around 1.1 mil; really good for a new game, but not great in terms of competitive shooters. At any given time, of that 1.1 mil, let's say.. 10%-30% are online and playing at any given time? (not counting spike days, such as when a new map / weapon / mode is released, or Splatfest. This might be a low estimate, but I think it's fair - not everyone who has the game is constantly playing it) So, let's say 20% of the players are currently playing the game. That's ~22,000 players. Now, all of this is just guesses guesses and more guesses, but stay with me just for the sake of my point. Some players MIGHT be playing single player mode, or local multiplayer, or just shopping / messing around in the plaza. I'll say that's maybe only 5% of the current players. So for this scenario there are ~20k players battling online. Let's assume that half are playing turf war and half are playing ranked, so that means there's about 10k players in the two separate modes right now. In Ranked, the game tries to match you up with people based on your rank, so ideally there would be separate lobbies for C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+, A-, A, and A+, which is 9 different categories. I would divide the 10k players into 9 different groups, BUT the game DOES make exceptions and pairs other ranks together in order to facilitate matchmaking, so instead of dividing 10k by 9, I'll be generous and divide it by 3. So, generally speaking, the 10k players who are playing ranked are split into roughly three 3.3k groups* (though ideally the game wants there to be 9 groups).

*GRANTED, there are probably more C players than B and A players, and more B players than A players, but this way the math will be neater

Summarizing up to this point, of our ~22k players currently playing splatoon:

~2k in single player / local multi / shopping / in plaza reading memes
~10k playing turf war
~10k playing ranked:
~3.3k C- to C+
~3.3k B- to B+
~3.3k A- to A+​

If ranked let you choose your mode of play, the groups of players in ranked would be divided by 2, assuming the same amount of people prefer tower control to splat zone:

Splat Zone:
~1.6k C- to C+
~1.6k B- to B+
~1.6k A- to A+
Tower Control:
~1.6k C- to C+
~1.6k B- to B+
~1.6k A- to A+

And then with Rainmaker's addition it would be more like ~1,000 in each. Even less than that for A-ranked players.

"1,000 players playing the same mode at any given time? That sounds like it'd STILL be easy to find a match." It does SOUND like a lot, but consider: of those 1,000 people playing, many of them are likely /already in a 5 minute match/ or otherwise have a complete lobby. Unless a lobby frees up, you might have to wait ~5 minutes for a match, possibly longer. (Or, hopefully this wouldn't have to happen, but you might join a lobby before someone who was /already in it last match/ could join it again, and now THEY have to wait, and then someone takes YOUR spot the next match, etc).

I might have done some bad math, or made really bad assumptions, who knows, but I think this was the developers' intent with this design choice - to not split the playerbase and keep matchmaking times short. I mean, I do wish you could just choose. I think the developers wanted to do that too, honestly, but when they thought of it this way they took the more conservative route.

Edit: Looking over the reddit thread for this I think Alecat was thinking along the same lines but said it better!
Also keep in mind when August comes around, people are also going to be in team matchmaking, and private matches, which further divides the population.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I'm not bothered by it but I understand how an why people would be. I haven't been burnt out on SZ yet, and I really enjoy TC; I like how different it is from SZ.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I just wanted to say that "I called it". (even before we knew of map rotation)

It is clear Nintendo is going for a "no time wasted" on random queues, and want to minimize the possibilities to guarantee you can find a match quickly.

I'm certain you'll be able to choose what mode you want after the August update, but I actually believe it is better to rotate modes with ranked and match randoms quicker.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
None of this stuff was an issue for Mario Kart 8 where different modes, configurations, and lobbies were available from the start despite not knowing just how many people would be playing.
Racing games are a different cup of tea when talking about online. Someone drops or is lagging? AI can pick up the slack. It is generally going to be easier on the servers and the system because the karts are all moving on a flat surface with minimal vertical movement. Everyone's going forward, left, and right with only around 3 button inputs. Splatoon is more complicated due to the amount of mobility in all directions for each player character, the amount of inputs, and the ink mechanic where the map is dynamically changing constantly. There is also the fact that they knew Mario kart would sell- the install base was guaranteed, while splatoon could have failed miserably. I understand being upset about private lobbies, but at least that's coming later. Anyways my main point is Mario kart and splatoon can't be compared because they are different beasts. Splatoon is reliant almost 60-80% on online, if not more. They needed to nail it and make sure the playerbase was always strong and active because if it wasn't the game would be worthless. Maybe in august more freedom will be given to the players especially if the install base continues to grow.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
The August update sounds like it only applies for friends though, so it wouldn't solve this problem. Like with Smash, you can choose whatever rules and stages you want, but only if you're playing with friends, not random people. It also sounds like you'd need at least 4 or 8 friends for it to work anyway. If you only have 3 friends or something, you probably won't be able to battle each other unless they allow random people to fill in the slots. But knowing Nintendo, they probably won't.

Also, as far as the whole slowing down random match ups by splitting the players goes, I feel like this method of rotating game modes could still do the same thing. What if people boot up Splatoon to play a certain mode, but it isn't available? They just don't play then. What if a huge chunk of players just aren't playing because they can't play the mode they want? Wouldn't that also lower the amount of possible match ups as would allowing choice between modes? Not everyone will just suck it up and play the mode the game wants you to play. Some people could just simply not play and do something else with their time until the mode comes back up. So I just see this as both methods potentially splitting match ups, except one method pisses people off while the other doesn't.

Last edited:

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
The August update sounds like it only applies for friends though, so it wouldn't solve this problem. Like with Smash, you can choose whatever rules and stages you want, but only if you're playing with friends, not random people. It also sounds like you'd need at least 4 or 8 friends for it to work anyway. If you only have 3 friends or something, you probably won't be able to battle each other unless they allow random people to fill in the slots. But knowing Nintendo, they probably won't.

Also, as far as the whole slowing down random match ups by splitting the players goes, I feel like this method of rotating game modes could still do the same thing. What if people boot up Splatoon to play a certain mode, but it isn't available? They just don't play then. What if a huge chunk of players just aren't playing because they can't play the mode they want? Wouldn't that also lower the amount of possible match ups as would allowing choice between modes? Not everyone will just suck it up and play the mode the game wants you to play. Some people could just simply not play and do something else with their time until the mode comes back up. So I just see this as both methods potentially splitting match ups, except one method pisses people off while the other doesn't.
While I get what you're saying and agree that it could become a problem when it comes to queueing up for things, but from a personal standpoint, I don't mind large groups of people not playing ranked for 4 hours. Might help me rank back up to B faster.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke

Where is the august update notice? Is there a link or something?

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
And I still haven't played Tower Control...

ON TOPIC: At first I really didn't like the decision that they made. However as many people have said, I think that it is a good thing that they didn't let the community split. As long as you are still able to choose the gamemode for private lobbies when they come out I will be okay with anything.

Another thing that i though of is that maybe Rainmaker mode will come when the August Update drops. Just a thought.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
i'm irked by this lack of choice not only for myself, but for the people who prefer splat zones over tower control and only want to play splat zones.

i only want to play tower control and don't really care about splat zones.

i have invested 311 hours into the game already leveling 2 separate 20's and grinding out gear and so on and so on. i got excited for the announcement of tower control and that's all i've wanted to play since i heard about it in the direct before launch. i'm already cutting back my play time and i see myself only playing when tower control is up if we aren't given a choice as to which mode we play.

nintendo has made quite a few questionable decisions about this game and said decisions are completely out of our control/hands.

i now have to sit back and wait till august but who is to say that there won't be ridiculous limitations on friend lobbies? wouldn't surprise me now! i also have to cross my fingers and hope that my friends exercise the patience i need them to possess to wait till then i'm sure they're going to quit before august effectively making me a loner (of my initial launch buddies) in splatoon.

i've posted here on squidboards about the necessity of spectating and lan capability while it's a 'hope' i highly doubt we'll see it happen, and by the time, if ever, that this happens, the care level for splatoon (outside the microscopic niche community that plays it) will not exist. sad reality.

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
A solution to the wait time would be to add an "any mode" option along the specific ones so people that don't care about the mode could find a game quickly and people who don't care about the wait can play their favorite mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom