• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

OPERATION: Lockdown

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
I've been able to play the game in the 3rd session of the Global Testfire, and eventually I found a strategy: If you charge at the enemy base, and manage to hold your ground with a buddy or two, the enemy team is forced to deal with you, since you're limiting their movement. If done correctly, your team (or a teammate) is able to cover the rest of the map in their ink. If all of your opponents are stuck at the spawn point, it's easy to dominate, unless one of them could use a devastating special weapon to shove you back. This also works at choke points, but it won't last for the whole match; You'd have to rely on the Domino effect.

Last edited:

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Oh, and the easiest weapon type to do the covering is the Roller. Shooters should take offense, while Chargers should hang back, and take out opponents who may try to escape the lock.

Last edited:

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
It comes down to player skill. If someone with not much skill rushes the enemy base, they'll be splattered in no time. However, a skilled player may be able to lock up the enemy team without getting hit.

This will be an effective strategy for someone who is able to pull it off.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
It comes down to player skill. If someone with not much skill rushes the enemy base, they'll be splattered in no time. However, a skilled player may be able to lock up the enemy team without getting hit.
Well, what if, after the whole map is covered, the whole team gangs up? The defending team would have to gather up points for damaging Special Attacks to take them out and quickly even out the battle.

Y'now what, let's call this Tactic "OPERATION: Lockdown".

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
There has to be a pretty big skill gap for this to happen, especially since you can't die on the spawn point. It also depends on the map; on the rig, the opposite team can't even get close to the spawn point.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
I rushed and held my ground at the enemy base for several matches during the test fire, grenades were helpful. I can't think of much that could be done in defense if an entire team manages to push the opposition back to the spawn location, every time an enemy team got shut down that hard, it was pretty easy to tell they were already getting slaughtered.

*EDIT*
There has to be a pretty big skill gap for this to happen, especially since you can't die on the spawn point. It also depends on the map; on the rig, the opposite team can't even get close to the spawn point.
This exactly. I think if the enemy team isn't incompetent, the likelihood of completely shutting them down like this is unlikely.

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
It's lot harder to do that as you think, because it's essentially 4 vs 1, and numbers always win. Of course if its 4 rollers vs splattershot, it'll be easier for the splattershot, but in the end of the day you need to be significantly better than the other team for it to work.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
So what you and Clayton are saying is that the person doing it has to be very skilled, and that it doesn't work on every map?
That means it isn't an oversight. Gotcha.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Changed the post; Now it isn't a rant about how it's an oversight and how ridiculous it is; Now it's the description of a tactic. Also, title change.

Last edited:

baronfel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baronfel
Because the roller can cover ground quickly. Tossing ink is a good defensive and offensive measure.
Yeah but after 1 ink toss you're dead. Honestly the 1 on 4 lockdowns never last long. (barring huge gaps in skills)

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
I've easily been able to lock teams with a Roller. Sometimes, more than once against a team. One team apparently didn't learn, because I kept charging into their base, covering the area without much of a hitch. I then made sure that I wasn't stupidly rushing in. I only steamrolled those who got too close.

Now I've edited the comment; Rollers are meant to cover the area.

Last edited:

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
Best I could imagine: Three members of a team lock down the four opponents while one roller takes the map. With three of them locking the spawn point, in the event of a splat they can superjump back. As long as two of them can hold the group at all times, I see this being better. I imagine having a bubbler would be vastly helpful.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Best I could imagine: Three members of a team lock down the four opponents while one roller takes the map. With three of them locking the spawn point, in the event of a splat they can superjump back. As long as two of them can hold the group at all times, I see this being better.
...That's actually how my Lockdowns worked. Except the one covering the maps wasn't always a roller. I'm gonna edit that in.

Last edited:

Deku

Senior Squid
NNID
Rolandd
It doesn't even have to be at the spawn point, just at choke points (especially on smaller maps). The game becomes more like the go board game. Here's an excellent example on containing the opposite team:

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
Deku, that's a great example of how the game should be played. Me being experienced in the shooter genre, even with a crappy team would not be "Locked-Down". This whole concept is completely ridiculous and WILL NOT work lol. If the skill difference between the 2 teams is that large, you should take your squad and go find better competition. If you're bold enough to stream and save your gameplay and show us some of these lockdowns you got during previous Testfires, then humor me because I'm skeptical @OrenjiBoy135

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
I got nothing to record with, except for a measely camera. And I didn't bother at that session. Next time, I may record and upload a match where I lock the opposing team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom