• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

OPERATION: Lockdown

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
This will be a powerful tactic but I think it will be very map dependent, and I think focusing on smaller choke points and forcing opponents to go around you will end up being what happens on most maps. Holding a spawn is going to be very hard for more than a few re-spawns because of the spawn shield and the nature of how the special gauge fills up it will likely be in your best interest to play back where reinforcements take a little longer to get to you.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I've easily been able to lock teams with a Roller. Sometimes, more than once against a team. One team apparently didn't learn, because I kept charging into their base, covering the area without much of a hitch. I then made sure that I wasn't stupidly rushing in. I only steamrolled those who got too close.

Now I've edited the comment; Rollers are meant to cover the area.
The part where you say they didn't learn is very important. The strategy itself is fine, but with a roller is just plain incompetency on the other team's part. They literally just have to stand back and shoot you.

And this is very map dependent, like lessthanpi said. The map most people are a bit concerned about with this is Walleye Warehouse, but even then I think people are still eager to see how it pans out.

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
well first off, you gotta have killed their whole team before one of them can super jump back onto the field and provide reinforcements. Considering it takes like 10 seconds to super jump back into the action after death, you have to kill people awfully fast for that to happen and then even if it does happen, every teammates would be pushing outwards lol. I would spray just left of the spawn with a splatter shot and then jump over to that and weed out where everyone is while I take a little bit of fire as my team advances. It's not a legit tactic lol.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Well.. this is interesting? I'm not sure this is a tactic, but more of just being extremely on the offensive (which I believe is most of the game anyway).

Crusty Ramboseus

Senior Squid
NNID
Ramboseus
I'd call it spawn trapping and I'd deem it inferior to holding choke points. I could just jump right over your team and make own path out into the battlefield and have my team super jump to me. Now you're trapped in a corner and we punish you or we go decimate the playing field while you're busy trying to spawn camp whoever comes out.

@OrenjiBoy135, do you have a squad? Cause when August comes let's play each other 10-15 rounds to see if you can manage to "Lock us down".

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
I'll admit, locking multiple times becomes predictable.
With a bit of practice, I might be able to get it working against tougher foes. The current one relies on the average commoner's instinct of refreshing their base with their own ink, making them not think of superjumping back to the fray.

I'll be sure not to abuse the lockdown, or "Spawn Trapping".

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I believe it won't be a viable strategy with a good team, if they ignore their own spawn point, and only focus on the other parts of the map, the enemy would be wasting time on their spawn point. I believe at first it seems viable because players are valuing the turf near their spawn point more than the rest of the map, while all turf is of the same value, if they can move the fight somewhere else they can give a breathing room to get their turf back later.

I feel like no good to great team would be hold back on their spawn point for a long period of time too, one or another will be able to either take down enough enemies to reclaim the space or escape and move the fight somewhere else.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
I believe it won't be a viable strategy with a good team, if they ignore their own spawn point, and only focus on the other parts of the map, the enemy would be wasting time on their spawn point.

I feel like no good to great team would be hold back on their spawn point for a long period of time too, one or another will be able to either take down enough enemies to reclaim the space or escape and move the fight somewhere else.
Yeah, that's it's downfall. Once you realize what they're doing, you can figure out a way of escaping it before it happens.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I believe the term you're looking for is spawn-camping, and it's in just about every shooter ever. In general, it's a good way to shut out incompetent opponents on a badly designed map, but harder to do against good opponents on a good map. Harder still if you're outnumbered because your teammates are busy elsewhere, and it's a bit risky since as soon as you die you have a long trek back, giving them an opening to escape. However, in this game Super Jumps will help with that if you can keep at least one teammate alive up there.

The chokepoints on Walleye Warehouse are so cruel, it's a very easy map to camp. But instead of having one teammate go all the way up to spawn while the others go back and get what's behind him, it would be more effective to capture the middle first and then just have all four players hold the forward chokepoints until time runs out. And that's what I saw happen in a lot of matches.

AFAIK, the spawn points on Saltspray Rig have one-way exits so you can't reach them. You could try to hold the exits, but they seem a bit too wide open to choke. I don't think it's remotely feasible on this map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom