Opinion On Stick Controls With Aim Assist?

Flakes

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4832-8664-7400
I saw this talking point come up a few days ago and haven't stopped think8ng about it. As someone who can't use motion controls bc of bad wrists (and handheld mode), I'm stuck on sticks. The L bumper doesn't do anything in battle, and seems like a good place to have a lock-on button. I think it'd be a good idea for Sticks to stand some sort of chance against Motion users and actually let us use more accuracy-based weapons like Chargers. I wanna know what others think! Is it a good idea, or would lock-on be too OP?

lizardontheweb

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7014-1500-2547
It would prob require the entire game's lifetime for the devs to perfect. Unlikely, my condolences

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
imo the purpose of aim assist shouldnt be to allow stick users to be able to compete with motion users, cuz then you end up in situations where the game is doing more work than you. if we want a bit of aim assist so its easier to flick to targets with sticks, i think thats fine.

SolarSpinner

Inkster Jr.
NNID
precious116373
Switch Friend Code
SW-3520-1828-4413
Aim assist drifting to a target and then sticks for actual aiming would be cool but for aim assist to close the gap it'd be putting in way too much work for a player, plus unlike other shooters splatoons shots are meant for more than just shooting people, and we have actual projectiles not hitscan, it'd be insanely hard to implement just to make the lesser control scheme usable, just not worth unfortunately, from a developmental pov like why dedicate resources to it yk

nineball

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
something nintendo could add that would really help stick players would be the ability to adjust the response curve of the stick, because right now, its just straight up linear. if you want to be able to make small aim adjustments, you either have to have a ridiculously steady thumb or have to sacrifice your maximum turning speed. most competitive console shooters provide players with response curve profiles, like apex legends for example:

xig6arw3n3qa1(1).jpg

graph source: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/122p7t7

i don't really have much experience using stick controls with console shooters, but decent response profiles have definitely helped me through some pc games i play using a controller. if nintendo doesn't want to add aim assist (which they definitely do not want aim assist), adding response profiles would totally add to the quality of life to stick players.

SolarSpinner

Inkster Jr.
NNID
precious116373
Switch Friend Code
SW-3520-1828-4413
Didn't even think of this as an option tbh I'm all for any improvements to sticks tho like even just raising the max sensitivity anything bruh

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
I wouldn't count on it, both from a nintendo dev and general gameplay standpoint. Not only would it take a stupid amount of time to be added and perfected, but also, there's more to splatoon than just being locked on the opponents at all time, which would just make it that much harder to implement. Not to mention I'm pretty sure Nintendo WANTS people to use motion.
Maybe more sensitivity options and such could be good, but bot assist seems a bit like too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom