Other controller compatibility?

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
Is anyone else hoping for other ways to play Splatoon? Xbox controller, keyboard, etc. It's possible with other games, occasionally with software someone dedicated immense amounts of time to, but I haven't seen anyone actually hook up a keyboard and mouse to Splatoon, or anything else really. Personally I'm itching for mouse support as a PC gamer with no other consoles.

Is anyone else hoping to use different setups? Any word of programs or converters in progress? Have you tested your PS/Xbox controllers with a converter on Splatoon? Do you think competitive play will be strictly Gamepad only? Etc.

I doubt Nintendo is going to put anything into supporting non-Gamepad methods of play, but that's never stopped the coding/mechanical side of the gaming community from plugging things into other things and making them work.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Honestly, the way that Nintendo designed the shooting, I'm not sure how much better a mouse and keyboard would be, except maybe for the Charger. It's about covering territory, and the weapons are inherently inaccurate. I don't know if it would really be worth the massive amount of trouble necessary to make the hardware input converter necessary.

As far as other gamepads go, I WANT PRO CONTROLLER SUPPORT PLZ. At the very least, I want to be able to play with my pro controller while playing solo online. Just make it so that the respawn launch selector makes you press a certain button instead of using the touch screen and we'll be fine. I don't know what else needs to be done, but surely it can't be that hard if it's already in the game in some form...

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I doubt it's going to happen, the Gamepad specific controls are deeply integrated in the game's mechanics.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
Tapping the screen and.... menus?

Maybe I'm missing something?
The map on the gamepad is imperative, if you don't want to be a burden for your team. And with it too far away from you, no way to quickjump.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Tapping the screen and.... menus?

Maybe I'm missing something?
Map, super jumps, and Inkstrikes. Map could be imposed on the screen. Super jumps could have hotkeys for each teammate, but then what about Beacons? As for Inkstrikes, IDK what they'd do there.

Maybe they'll try and come up with something if enough people make noise for it, but don't hold your breath.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
To answer your first question, YES. Definitely yes: as much as I like the GamePad, there are still a few disadvantages (aim still centered at the screen, distance between the R and ZR buttons, etc.) when compared to the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck combo. As for converters, I don't really dabble with those tools, as the default control schemes tend to be adequate enough for me. With regard to competitive play, I'm guessing Nintendo is still trying to sell the public on the GamePad right now, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there were patches to fully implement non-GamePad options. Expect to see my Miiverse posts clamoring for Wii Remote support, hahaha.

maybe this…
And ESPECIALLY this:

Hell, let's fight for Classic Controller support too! And why GameCube controllers too? Gotta make use of them elsewhere besides Smash. ;)

I doubt it's going to happen, the Gamepad specific controls are deeply integrated in the game's mechanics.
While the GamePad controls are well designed, they're not that hard to translate to other controllers: while holding the (+) Button to display the map on the TV screen, select the destination the Control Stick/IR Pointer, and confirm with the ZL/Z Button. As shown in the above images, keep the GamePad map somewhere nearby, with the touch controls still intact.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
The Wii U Pro Controller is already available in Battle Dojo, I don't see why they can't allow you to use it online. You can already use the Gamepad without motion controls, and even for super jumping and such, you can still have the Gamepad nearby to do it while still using the other controller. You could use the Wii Remote in Pikmin 3 while still having the map on the Gamepad for example.

Senliten

Inkling
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten

maybe this…
Nintendo is hitting the mark for alot of things with splatoon, but this is one mark they severely missed. I mean honestly, how many people have actually used the launch as of yet? or have seen others use it? Think after the good 12 hours of playing yesterday, I only saw at max 10 or so use the launch. It may have use in ranked, but open free-play, not as much tbh.

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae
Nintendo is hitting the mark for alot of things with splatoon, but this is one mark they severely missed. I mean honestly, how many people have actually used the launch as of yet? or have seen others use it? Think after the good 12 hours of playing yesterday, I only saw at max 10 or so use the launch. It may have use in ranked, but open free-play, not as much tbh.
I use the Super Jump quite a lot actually. Surprise no one don't see the potential of it in Turf War honestly. I doubt even less people even know you can Super Jump at other places besides the spawn point. Hopping to one unsplated area to the next while take the last few frames of the Super Jump to shoot some long ranged ink can really helps a team and I really, really wish people used it more often, but I digress. I guessed Nintendo could have added more controller compatibility by putting a mini map on the screen that would enlarged when you want to Super Jump to a player, but then Gamepad users would have a slight advantage because they have the map enlarged at all times.

Tercio2002

Inkling
NNID
Tercio2002
I would be happy with Wiimote+Nunchuk combo for aiming. It was so good in Red Steel, Metroid Prime, The Conduit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom