Other Species?

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
Alright, so we have playable Octolings. I'm as excited as everyone else, and I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I think being given two species options is a little weird. In most games with character customization, you either get only one race or 3+. And now I'm kinda stuck on the concept of having more playable species and am currently brainstorming others to add.

As much as I'd like to play as a sea slug, non-cephalopods seem to be pretty much out of the question, so I'm just gonna skip those.

Nautilus: I think it would be really cool if Nintendo incorporated the shells in the hairstyles. Unfortunately, their body shapes are different from squids and octopi, so "squid form" would be a bit of a problem.

Cuttlefish: Also not very plausible, but it's the only cephalopod that isn't a squid or octopus. Some people are saying Pearl is based on a cuttlefish, which makes me feel that if they were included, they'd have to have altered proportions to make them distinct from Inklings, which would mean hitbox shenanigans.

Umbrella Octopus: Technically would be filed under "Octoling", but I think they're visually distinct enough to work. They have shorter tentacles, and the Dumbo Octopus has these large fins jutting from their head that could make them visually distinct. In fact, one of the Chirpy Chips is a Flapjack Octopus, and looks different enough from an Octoling that I couldn't pin it until I saw it listed on the wiki.

Vampire Squid: Also falls in an existing category, but they have webbing between their tentacles that's lined with spikes on the inside. Also, they glow. I feel like they're unique enough from other squids to be doable.

(I'll add images and links and stuff when I'm off mobile.)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think if we get another species in Splatoon 3, it could be the jellyfishes, since they are the most recurring species after squids and octopuses. They would have to be slightly designed, of course (Jellylings, Jellings? ;P), but the same happened to Octolings (playable Octos are quite different from enemy Octos in the single player; also, Agent 8 has a significantly different body shape, too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom