"Ouch" and "this way".

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Quick question. When is it NOT appropriate to use these?

I use "this way" when I legit want people to follow me.

I use the "ouch" every time I did to let my team know I just got splattered.

Is that too much? Are they only for specific circumstances? I've seen a lot of complaining about overuse of those and I'd prefer to not be annoying to people.

thundasi

Senior Squid
I use ouch if i didn't kill the one one my side and booyah if i did. "This way" if i get a clear lane or if my team is sitting back to let them know it is clear to push in. i dont spam it the whole match, cause people will think your "that squid" and ignore your callout

Last edited:

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Gotcha. Yeah I never really considered that to be annoying, but I guess I do kind of spam. It has seemed sometimes that people were annoyed with me but I couldn't figure out why.

I do on occasion when it was a good run in there and I get more than one kill before dieing my thumb just sort of mashes said buttons out of excitement.

May there be a moment of silence for all those who's auditory receptors have taken a pummeling from my unrelenting button mashing. May they find peace.(and quiet because I'm not going to be doing that anymore)

Thanks.
And may the ink be with you.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This Way is only useful in SR. Ouch is only useful to let people know you just got killed by someone infiltrating our base or someone in an annoying/good position where ideally we wouldn't want them. Using them any other way has no effect since your teammates won't react to them. Nobody's going to follow you if you use This Way, for example.

I especially hate it when people say Ouch everytime they die. It's completely pointless, and it becomes a boy who cried wolf situation where you're not gonna pay attention to their Ouches anymore.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Indeed. It felt like I might be doing something wrong, hence the forum post.

One thing that might be completely unrelated.... my wife has received 4-5 times the friend requests I have.

We mostly play together.

I restrained myself for most of the night maybe tossing out a ouch or two when it was an especially good kill but I suppose booyah would serve just as nicely there.

Now that it's pointed out it seems fairly obvious. Don't know why I didn't get it before.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I restrained myself for most of the night maybe tossing out a ouch or two when it was an especially good kill but I suppose booyah would serve just as nicely there.
Only your team can see your booyas/ouches/this ways, so I wouldn't use a booyah when you get killed.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Gotcha. Also havnt noticed that I get nothing of the voice things from the opposing team.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I find This Way is helpful in Rainmaker and Clam Blitz. It helps coordinate which direction a push goes in. If I have the Rainmaker, and my teammate says This Way, I know that they are making that path safe to travel

squidsnafu

Inkling
After lurking, I finally made an account to post here because I didn't want people to stop using ouch/this way!

I think more information is better than none, so I appreciate when teammates say "ouch" when they die. If it was not too far away, I'll sometimes use that to gauge where I should expect the enemy to come from or sometimes I use that as an opportunity to avenge a teammate. If it's not relevant, I'll ignore it. But at least you have that information available if you decide to use it or not! And sometimes it's just nice to voice sadness when you get splatted :( just like it feels fun to booyah when your team does well.

I find "this way" hit or miss because sometimes people will use it even if the path is not clear. I wish they had a aim and ping function to target enemies or the goal or defense or something instead of a general "this way". Sometimes I do wish people would listen to "this way" when I've splatted 3 enemies and made a path to plop the rainmaker!! Or for people to score in Clam Blitz when the path is clear.

I'm new to Splatoon and in S, hoping to be S+ someday soon. I'm not the top and I'm not a veteran player so I don't know how the culture was in Splatoon 1. But as an individual player, I find pings more useful than annoying.

Blackcurrant42

Full Squid
NNID
Blackcurrant42
I have come to learn these signals are pretty much pointless as 90% of my teammates in solo q, S+ to add, don't respond to it. I've seen my teammates get wiped because they didn't investigate why me or someone else got splatted. Or they just leave me as the rainmaker to push while they "wait and see" behind.

But I still press ouch if I didn't get the kill or this way if I need help in the objective for the players who do respond to it.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Ouch: Use when you die. If you got killed by a flanker and it's really important for your team to notice I say "ouch" several times until they do something or turn around (They usually don't). I tap it out of muscle memory every time I die. It's always nice to know where someone died so you can prepare. My teammates hardly use it but when they do I always take note of it. There's no help to just ignore it. All you have to do is watch that area closer or go there and take care of it. Ouch will always be helpful, unless you fall off the map and tap it. But it will always be helpful because you have to die to be able to say it, which means that's important info to have. Knowing how your teammates died is valuable information. Sure you don't have voice chat to give real callouts but this is the best we have and it's best to use it.

Booyah: Sometimes at the start if my teammate does it. It's for good measure y'know. Also booyah if we make a good push or get a quad or stop a push to sustain our lead. Morale is always good :p

This Way: For when your stupid teammate won't give you your 10th clam you need. But yeah use it to signal your team to defend in a spot. Most useful in clam blitz. I also see people use it while super jumping to tell people to jump to objective. Also to start pushes. hardly ever is this callout used.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The thing about Ouch and This Way is that people are also busy with their own battles and such. If someone says Ouch, chances are, I don't have time to check it out, or have to travel a bit for something that might or might not be worth it (or might not be relevant anymore). And to make matters worse, a lot of times people use Ouch willy nilly.

It could be worse though, it could be someone staying at one or two eggs and spamming This Way until someone shows up. I can't believe people in Profreshional still do this. Surely they know by now how crowded SR gets and how many chances you'll have at delivering golden eggs.

Kise Ryota

Inkster Jr.
I think it's extremely valid to use "ouch" when people die. Like someone said before, it's a fast info about where my teammate was splatted. I really like when people use it this way. Of course, when the battle is in the mid of the map and almost everyone is there, there's no necessity to use it (for obvious reason).

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
The thing about Ouch and This Way is that people are also busy with their own battles and such. If someone says Ouch, chances are, I don't have time to check it out, or have to travel a bit for something that might or might not be worth it (or might not be relevant anymore). And to make matters worse, a lot of times people use Ouch willy nilly.

It could be worse though, it could be someone staying at one or two eggs and spamming This Way until someone shows up. I can't believe people in Profreshional still do this. Surely they know by now how crowded SR gets and how many chances you'll have at delivering golden eggs.
How can you use ouch willy nilly? You have to get killed by someone to use it? Always helpful to know

EDIT: Only unhelpful ways I could think of are when you fall off the map or if you get killed by stingray, or tenta missiles

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Willy nilly as in using it everytime you die. Not every death needs pointing out. Lots of deaths will be witnessed by people even since you can see your teammates name crossed out through the stage's terrain.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I usually use or even spam ouch if an enemy has splatted my and can deal fatal damage in their favor.
Like if a sneaky enemy got in our base and nobody seems to notice.
Or in ranked a duo of enemy’s are sneakingly inking a path to our base and nobody is doing anything about it.
Or when an enemy that splatted my got the higher ground or is sneaking up on other allies hiding in ink etc.

I usually play supportive so i get alot of ‘oppertunity,’s’ to use ouch.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
I need to use the shout commands more often myself.

Apart from using “This Way” in Salmon Run, I don’t ever really use them.

thundasi

Senior Squid
because it just came up fighting on top of a platform with the RM behind me. i died in the fight and threw a booyah to signal the all clear to push. messege recieved and RM made the push.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Using ouch when you die in solo means you want people to investigate. If you press ouch when you floundered in a loose tenta missle, people will check up on you, waste time, and then go back. Not to mention, ouching everytime you die will quickly get aggravating.
Just use it if you got flanked, or if you failed to protect an important point. Basically at any point you want your team to back up on your current position.

People can see if you die by checking the active teammates at the top of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom