1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Performance Enhancing Accessories

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by girigiriHERO, Jun 5, 2016.

1. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I'm just curious if anyone uses (or was aware) of the fact that XBONE analog sticks are the same size as the Wii U, therefore you can use the Kontrol Freak thumb sticks (and I'm sure many other brands). I've been using them for a while and they actually feel pretty good. Could be a placebo in terms of my performance, but either way I find it a lot more comfortable. Going back to the regular controller, the analog sticks feel so gimped.

Anyone else have any hints for maybe improving their game play?

2. PrinceOfKoopas

PrinceOfKoopas Inkling Commander

NNID:
    PrinceOfKoopas
    ...I... can you explain what you're talking about?

3. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/thumbsticks.html/

These bad boys. They supposedly give you a larger range of motion by attaching to the top of the analog sticks. I find them extremely comfortable, but KF isn't the only company that makes these, although I believe they are the first. I've never played any FPS but apparently they are extremely popular amongst players.

4. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Isn't that of limited usefulness in a game with motion controls for aiming?

5. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I use gyro myself, but I still find it useful for both analog sticks whether it be moving or rotating the cameras X(?) axis (that's why they are in packs of 2). Even games that don't require it though, but is in a 3D environment (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, etc.) I find these very enjoyable to use.

6. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

Those are bologna. Very few if any top (console) fps players actually use those that I know of, they make no real difference. Especially in a game like Splatoon.

7. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

Actually they do make a difference in terms of camera control, it's less movement to rotate. It's like saying a pulley is bologna when it comes to lifting heavy objects. They are also a lot more comfortable than the actual analog sticks on the Nintendo Gamepad.

8. Maave

Maave Inkling Commander

My buddy has a pair of those for Call of Duty on PS4. They are kinda neat but I don't like how high my thumb sits and how long the travel is from thumbstick to buttons. But he also has some extra trigger buttons that he can use to press buttons while keeping his thumbs on the stick. Wish I had some of those for shouting booyah and c'mon while on the move.

As for accessories, I play on a table at elbow level. It helps keep my hands still for the motion control and gives me a consistent place to zero the camera. The camera still goofs up occasionally though, just part of the game's controls.

9. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I typically sit on the floor, on my legs (knee's bent and facing forward, and feet behind me) on a zabuton (Japanese floor pillow), and occasionally sitting back on a chair, but it's hard to use the camera if you're too comfortable ww

As for the analogs, the first pack I got had a higher stick and a nub, I use the nub on the left analog and the higher one on the right analog, but I haven't run in to any issues. The only adjustment is you don't have to be as aggressive with the stick or it'll fall off, after a day or so it never happens anymore. I liked them so much I went and bought another pack for my Pro controller and just use it for other games as I just enjoy the feeling of it.

10. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Cuttleshock
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-6317-8240-9812
    Don't tell me I'm the only one who swims and holds the controller with my left hand and briefly moves my right over to the D-Pad for battle-start taunts?

11. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

that sounds extremely uncomfortable..

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Inkling Commander

You could always practice.

13. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

Thanks Captain Smart ***

14. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

Yes, but a higher sensitivity also makes you turn faster, but does that make them better competitively? Not really, unless your sensitivity is too low.

I was saying that it's balogna that they make you peform any better.

15. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I'm not a spinning roller but I assume a higher sensitivity would be good for them. However I do have my sensitivity cranked all the way up, I do find at times I need to make fast turns and I have steady hands in general so it doesn't bother me. It might also benefit snipers who don't sit there with their scope out (the ones who immediately fire and kill you in a split second)

16. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3466-8927-7969
    For a moment there i thought this thread was spam.

I disagree, it's helps much more to have your sensitivity set to what you're comfortable with. Your aiming can only get so good before tremors come in(involuntairly twitching in your hands), jacking it all the way to +5 makes it far too unreliable. Even if you need to spin real fast you can both use the control stick and motion controls to orient where you need to be.

17. girigiriHERO

girigiriHERO Guest

I'll take your word for it since you main Chargers, I am absolutely horrible with them.