• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Performance Enhancing Accessories

G

girigiriHERO

I'm just curious if anyone uses (or was aware) of the fact that XBONE analog sticks are the same size as the Wii U, therefore you can use the Kontrol Freak thumb sticks (and I'm sure many other brands). I've been using them for a while and they actually feel pretty good. Could be a placebo in terms of my performance, but either way I find it a lot more comfortable. Going back to the regular controller, the analog sticks feel so gimped.

Anyone else have any hints for maybe improving their game play?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Isn't that of limited usefulness in a game with motion controls for aiming?

G

girigiriHERO

Isn't that of limited usefulness in a game with motion controls for aiming?
I use gyro myself, but I still find it useful for both analog sticks whether it be moving or rotating the cameras X(?) axis (that's why they are in packs of 2). Even games that don't require it though, but is in a 3D environment (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, etc.) I find these very enjoyable to use.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Those are bologna. Very few if any top (console) fps players actually use those that I know of, they make no real difference. Especially in a game like Splatoon.

G

girigiriHERO

Those are bologna. Very few if any top (console) fps players actually use those that I know of, they make no real difference. Especially in a game like Splatoon.
Actually they do make a difference in terms of camera control, it's less movement to rotate. It's like saying a pulley is bologna when it comes to lifting heavy objects. They are also a lot more comfortable than the actual analog sticks on the Nintendo Gamepad.

Maave

Inkling Commander
http://www.kontrolfreek.com/thumbsticks.html/

These bad boys. They supposedly give you a larger range of motion by attaching to the top of the analog sticks. I find them extremely comfortable, but KF isn't the only company that makes these, although I believe they are the first. I've never played any FPS but apparently they are extremely popular amongst players.
My buddy has a pair of those for Call of Duty on PS4. They are kinda neat but I don't like how high my thumb sits and how long the travel is from thumbstick to buttons. But he also has some extra trigger buttons that he can use to press buttons while keeping his thumbs on the stick. Wish I had some of those for shouting booyah and c'mon while on the move.

As for accessories, I play on a table at elbow level. It helps keep my hands still for the motion control and gives me a consistent place to zero the camera. The camera still goofs up occasionally though, just part of the game's controls.

G

girigiriHERO

My buddy has a pair of those for Call of Duty on PS4. They are kinda neat but I don't like how high my thumb sits and how long the travel is from thumbstick to buttons. But he also has some extra trigger buttons that he can use to press buttons while keeping his thumbs on the stick. Wish I had some of those for shouting booyah and c'mon while on the move.

As for accessories, I play on a table at elbow level. It helps keep my hands still for the motion control and gives me a consistent place to zero the camera. The camera still goofs up occasionally though, just part of the game's controls.
I typically sit on the floor, on my legs (knee's bent and facing forward, and feet behind me) on a zabuton (Japanese floor pillow), and occasionally sitting back on a chair, but it's hard to use the camera if you're too comfortable ww

As for the analogs, the first pack I got had a higher stick and a nub, I use the nub on the left analog and the higher one on the right analog, but I haven't run in to any issues. The only adjustment is you don't have to be as aggressive with the stick or it'll fall off, after a day or so it never happens anymore. I liked them so much I went and bought another pack for my Pro controller and just use it for other games as I just enjoy the feeling of it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Wish I had some of those for shouting booyah and c'mon while on the move.
Don't tell me I'm the only one who swims and holds the controller with my left hand and briefly moves my right over to the D-Pad for battle-start taunts?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Actually they do make a difference in terms of camera control, it's less movement to rotate. It's like saying a pulley is bologna when it comes to lifting heavy objects. They are also a lot more comfortable than the actual analog sticks on the Nintendo Gamepad.
Yes, but a higher sensitivity also makes you turn faster, but does that make them better competitively? Not really, unless your sensitivity is too low.

I was saying that it's balogna that they make you peform any better.

G

girigiriHERO

Yes, but a higher sensitivity also makes you turn faster, but does that make them better competitively? Not really, unless your sensitivity is too low.

I was saying that it's balogna that they make you peform any better.
I'm not a spinning roller but I assume a higher sensitivity would be good for them. However I do have my sensitivity cranked all the way up, I do find at times I need to make fast turns and I have steady hands in general so it doesn't bother me. It might also benefit snipers who don't sit there with their scope out (the ones who immediately fire and kill you in a split second)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
For a moment there i thought this thread was spam.

It might also benefit snipers who don't sit there with their scope out (the ones who immediately fire and kill you in a split second)
I disagree, it's helps much more to have your sensitivity set to what you're comfortable with. Your aiming can only get so good before tremors come in(involuntairly twitching in your hands), jacking it all the way to +5 makes it far too unreliable. Even if you need to spin real fast you can both use the control stick and motion controls to orient where you need to be.

G

girigiriHERO

For a moment there i thought this thread was spam.

I disagree, it's helps much more to have your sensitivity set to what you're comfortable with. Your aiming can only get so good before tremors come in(involuntairly twitching in your hands), jacking it all the way to +5 makes it far too unreliable. Even if you need to spin real fast you can both use the control stick and motion controls to orient where you need to be.
I'll take your word for it since you main Chargers, I am absolutely horrible with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom