Perplexed about the Splattershot Pro

NNID
benimarucollider
Hey guys, new here.

And I just wanted to have a couple of feedbacks regarding the Splattershot Pro.
Been using it for some time and noticed a great couple of flaws about it after seeing I wasn't contributing well for the team.

First off is the weapon itself. While it does have a fair amount of accuracy and range, the thing just wastes too much ink and has a rather slow firerate.

Second is it's sub weapon set. The fact that you have to waste even more ink for the bomb makes you have to waste a lot of time to get fully recharged. Ink strike is good but since the Splattershot Pro and Splatter Bomb doesn't work well, it basically makes the super charge useless.

I've heard a couple of rumour saying it's actually good, but is it really? At least at this moment, I think otherwise.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
Hey guys, new here.

Been using it for some time and noticed a great couple of flaws about it after seeing I wasn't contributing well for the team.

First off is the weapon itself. While it does have a fair amount of accuracy and range, the thing just wastes too much ink and has a rather slow firerate.

Second is it's sub weapon set. The fact that you have to waste even more ink for the bomb makes you have to waste a lot of time to get fully recharged. Ink strike is good but since the Splattershot Pro and Splatter Bomb doesn't work well, it basically makes the super charge useless.

I've heard a couple of rumour saying it's actually good, but is it really? At least at this moment, I think otherwise.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been using the weapon?

I would like to know how you've been using the weapon (as far as playstyle). This would give me an idea of whether you're using the weapon correctly or not.

Have you been using it mainly in rank, or a mixture of both turf war and rank?

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Hey guys, new here.

Yes it is good, but just as it name states, it is more suited to professionals. In other words, for players who miss frequently, or allow their opponents to get too close, it would not work well in their favour. Consider it an alternative version of the .96 Gal, except you have more tools against players who play defensively.

To be good at the weapon, you simply cannot waste ink. Your decisions also need to have a lot more justification as well, as poor ones will often lead to early splats or vulnerable positions.

NNID
benimarucollider
Out of curiosity, how long have you been using the weapon?
Have you been using it mainly in rank, or a mixture of both turf war and rank?
It's been a week now, and have been playing both rank and turf war. And from what I've saw it's more like a weapon that splats people, not for inking places. Seems to work especially well in ranked matches.

To be good at the weapon, you simply cannot waste ink. Your decisions also need to have a lot more justification as well, as poor ones will often lead to early splats or vulnerable positions.
So it's a "smart" weapon. But that would mean it's not all that great in turf wars, considering you have to be extra careful about the ink conservation.

If it's about alternatives, I switch out to N-ZAP-89 from time to time, but I do get a lot of fun with Splattershot Pro.
Maybe an heavy ink saver set would help soften up ink consummation?

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
So it's a "smart" weapon. But that would mean it's not all that great in turf wars, considering you have to be extra careful about the ink conservation.
I wouldn't call it a 'smart' weapon. It can't think for itself. LOL

But yeah, getting back to Splattershot Pro, yeah it takes up a bit of ink, but not as much as you may think. With the Splattershot Pro, you want to take advantage of the extra range and just shoot them from a distance (max range distance). It sounds like you constantly shoot down on the trigger (which is good if you're in turf and you're covering up the floor). Just remember to charge when you're low on ink, and not when you're empty. I would also not try to chase people too hard with it, cause again ink consumption. Even when you throw a grenade, you still have plenty of shots to kill the person.

I wouldn't stack a lot of Ink saver (main) cause it will still not get rid of the 'issue' you're having. Your real solution is just managing your ink ammo better. I would say to try out 1 Ink Recovery main (or 3 subs) just to help you get ink a bit faster.

I say continue trying the Splattershot Pro. Like any weapon, it'll take awhile to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be splatting others in no time. IMO, weapon works well in all ranks (maybe it's more useful in Splat zone due to the ink strike). Just remember in rank, that you need to take advantage of your range and not chase/put yourself in a bad position.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I've had great success with the pro even in turf wars. The ability to splat people from long range usually means you will stay alive longer, which leads to more turf inked.

I do usually run 2 ink saver main abilities along with stacked swim speed. It is really important to know your range and know when to retreat. The weapon rewards good movement and positioning because it is so accurate. So knowing chokepoints, common movement patterns, and your effective range is important.

NNID
LLV_MaNda
Hey guys, new here.

~ To be fair, most players who first use this weapon always have a problem with it's ink usage. But if you keep using it a lot (such as your main), you can counter this problem. I main this weapon & I have learn how to use it without any ink savers but if your a beginner with this, I suggest you use that perk at first. But overall, it's super duper fun! Keep going at it & you'll be successful with the Splattershot Pro :DD
SΛVΛGΞ

AriasFantasy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ariasfantasy
The Splattershot Pro is one of my favorites!! It's definitely not a Turf War weapon, though. I run it mixed - offensively and defensively. It gets the job done when it needs to, so it's worth your time to get used to it since it's such a malleable weapon. If you don't like the bombs or want to play it more offensively, you can try the Forge variant. IMO, the vanilla Pro is better at zones, but it's probably because I'm terrible at the other two whups

RedgemSoda

Inkster Jr.
Splattershot Pro is actually one of my all time favorite weapons. I have been using a lot in ranked battles and it has a good set if you know what you are doing. It has great range, power and accuracy but to sub for that you have to use more ink. Its a balancing aspect.

Also if you have at least two ink saver mains on your gear you shouldn't worry too much about ink efficiency.

The splat bomb and inkstrike, I find, are great when you are doing Tower Control. The splat bomb is great for splating opponents on the tower and the inkstrike can completely stop a team from advancing giving your team time to react.

Also the Splattershot Pro is more geared towards players who are more skilled in accuracy and ink efficiency kind of like charger users.

NNID
benimarucollider
Thank you for the tips guys.

So great to see that many people love the Splattershot Pro. This was also the only weapon that I felt something unlike the other weapons I've seen so far.
Im taking into consideration the strategies you've given. My only concern was really just about the way I didn't contribute to the team, as in I couldn't help in turf as much as everyone else was since I had to be careful of my actions and etc.

Splat zones and Tower control works like a charm though!

Hope we see each other in the battlefield sometimes.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Thank you for the tips guys.

So great to see that many people love the Splattershot Pro. This was also the only weapon that I felt something unlike the other weapons I've seen so far.
Im taking into consideration the strategies you've given. My only concern was really just about the way I didn't contribute to the team, as in I couldn't help in turf as much as everyone else was since I had to be careful of my actions and etc.

Splat zones and Tower control works like a charm though!

Hope we see each other in the battlefield sometimes.
I'd recommend using motion controls, really helps with accuracy. You could also try the Jet Squelchers or the Dual Squelchers if you like the Splattershot Pro. They do less damage (I believe), but they have longer range (dual squelcher is about the same if not shorter) and use less ink.

I personally like using the Forge Splattershot Pro over the regular one mostly because of point sensors, and it's hard to go wrong with an inkzooka.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
I main the normal pro in rainmaker and it's really not bad. so long as you're ok, it's not a hard weapon at all.
not sure how i can word my response here but it works for me so idk differences i guess

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Fact is you will never get as much turf inked as other weapons using the SSP. In TW you should be focusing on kills and supporting your teammates, and covering the ground after it's safe.

OctoSquid

Inkling
NNID
pootsbasement
Fact is you will never get as much turf inked as other weapons using the SSP. In TW you should be focusing on kills and supporting your teammates, and covering the ground after it's safe.
Best comment i've seen so far to support it.

Turf Wars is all about coverage and moral support. SSP is perhaps an okay weapon but not necessarily one I'd pick... :/

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
The Splattershot Pro is a good weapon in Turf, mainly because it fits the role of a killing front weapon where most people choose turfing fronts. Since it kills so reliably, it'll let you get a man advantage against the other team, allowing you and your team to paint without resistance. It also reduces their special gauge, making them ink more turf to get it.

My tips with the ink consumption problem is to not shoot continuously. You're not a weapon meant to be inking turf. However, this doesn't mean you shouldn't be inking at all. The turf that you do ink should restrict the enemy instead of getting points. Also, if you use your bomb you need to be accurate with your shots afterwards as you will get enough to kill, but not enough to waste. Inkstrikes should also be placed strategically to apply pressure instead of off to some inked part of the map or, even worse, the enemy base. I would suggest Ink Recovery since you should be swimming around more than shooting as your strafe speed isn't the best, and it also helps with both your main and sub weapons.

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
Yeah, I used to use the Pro a lot myself, until I found the 96 Gal Deco which I personally prefer. I'd say the best thing about the Pro is its range, to succeed with the Pro you must abuse your range, it's not as good as the Jet but for a shooter it's still very good as it out-ranges many weapons such as the Tentatek, Jr, Splash-O-Matic and others. While the fire-rate of this weapon isn't the best, it's not the worst either, especially when you compare it with it's closely related cousins- the 96 Gals. They both have the same range but because the Pro has a better fire-rate it also has better ink-coverage meaning it is more capable of either escaping or drowning the opposing 96 Gal. Of course compared to many of the shorter range weapons the Pro's ink coverage is quite poor, in this case you'd have to use your range as stated earlier.

The place the Pro lacks is definitely it's ink consumption, this weapon is super hungry for Ink, therefore you must be very weary of this when using the Pro. I definitely recommend using Ink Saver Main or Ink Recovery Up. Also, make sure you don't shoot continuously for long periods of time as this will deplete your ink very quickly, always try to go into squid form as soon as you can after shooting to replenish your ink. The power in my opinion is mediocre, it's a 3-shot kill which isn't bad, but the ink-consumption and the slowish fire-rate definitely brings it down.

As for it's sub, again I'd say mediocre, bombs are always good, no matter what weapon you use, I really do love them. However because the Pro is so ink-hungry you really have to be super careful when using them, don't just throw them out randomly like you might with a Jr, only do so if you think it will really help. The special is good but not great. The Ink-strike is good in that, because this is a ranged weapon, most of the time you'll be able to find a goodish spot to launch your strike. I find that it's especially helpful in Splat-Zones as you do have goodish ink-coverage so if you launch it on one side of the zone then you have a good chance of taking the zone if you shoot the other side. I personally would've preferred an Echo-locator(to assist with your range or even the Bubbler (to help you in close quarters)

Anyway, as a whole the Pro isn't bad, it's just not that great compared to its competitors as it's beaten in power by the 96 gal and out-ranged by the Jet. For more info on how to use this weapon I'd check out ThatSrb2Dude's video I've posted below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom