Phrave's 96 Gal theory crafting guide (Not the end all be all 96 Gal guide)

Phrave

Inkling
NNID
Phrave
(Hey guys, I posted this to r/splatoon a couple days ago and just found this site so I thought I'd share my info with you)

EDIT: Also just noticed there's a guides sub forum right below this. My B

Am I the only 96 Gal Main? It's a super fun weapon, I currently am upgrading my gear so i haven't played ranked but I went from C- to A using it exclusively. Its such a good weapon as it outranges must smgs (aerospray, spray-o-matic, splattershot jrs) which are the really fast killers. Here's my "theory craft" dream lineup:

Black Arrowbands (expanded to 3 slots) White Anchor shirt (Reason why not zekko hoodie below) Red Hi-Tops (expanded to 3 slots)

Main Abilities: Tenacity: ("Fills special gauge automatically if your team has fewer active players than the enemy.") Literally a dream for the echolocater, I cannot stress how important it is to when you're team has lost all players but you and the enemies have the zone, you gain special not inking anything and while inking the gauge fills extremely fast. It's a great way to push a team that just took control and wiped your team. Ninja Squid: ("Leaves no trace while swimming on inked ground, but reduces swim speed slightly: 20% speed reduction in squid form, 10% speed reduction in Kraken Form. ") As said, enemies cannot see where you're going when you're in squid form. This is great being your slow firing weapon can but most likely will not preform 1v2s often, you can just squid back into your ink and while they know the general direction they cannot know exactly where.

Ink Resistance Up: ("Reduces damage and movement penalties incurred when moving through enemy ink.") Perfect for not staring at the ground. Probably the best shoe perk in the game along side Bomb Sniffer. Honestly I don't use Bomb Sniffer so this is a preference choice. But being able to push with a 2 shot weapon is extremely useful, while most smgs will lead a charge ink resistance will allow you to push through a crossfire.

Sub Abilities (I'm just going to assume that I get 3 of the common sub ability for the gear just cause):

3 Special Saver: ("Reduces special gauge decrease after being splatted.") This is perfect for tenacity, say for example that you're at a full bar and forget to use echolocater and your team gets wiped out. You lose less special and tenacity is kicking in to speed up that bar, and you should easily get a full special before you reach the zone.

3 Damage Up: ("Increases damage of all your weapons. Primary Ability Boost = ~9%") I AM JUST ASSUMING but sub abilities since there are 3 of them would be 1/3 of the primary ability 9%. So there is a almost 1/10th damage boost, which will really help the sprinkler in keeping enemies as you push forward. Weapon wise damage up doesn't do that much I think.

3 Swim Speed Up: ("Increases movement speed while swimming in squid form**. Primary Ability Boost = 10%") This literally almost cancels out the ninja squid slowing down.

-"Why do you use 2* gear instead of 3?" 1. I like to look fresh. 2. I bought these because either they were in the store when the 3* weren't or I chose them for the sub ability.

-"What about the Zekko Hoodie?" Currently, and I like to look fresh don't choose the Zekko Hoodie because it has the same sub ability as the Black Arrowbands, so if you're using other headgear that has tenacity then sure go ahead and use Zekko.

How do I play the 96 gal? -That's completely up to you as there is no current meta. I personally like to spend as much time in squid form as possible and just pop out when i need to shoot. Off spawn you can shoot for 2 seconds then squid to the end and regain all your ink. Don't take close quarters fights unless you have teammates to clean up if you die. Also go for high ground as your range when aimed right can go over short walls and kill people on top of the middle kelp dome for example. Make sure to have your sprinkler up in very enemy colored zones, really good at gaining special. Play the echolocater smart too, I cannot tell you how many times 3 of us will die and the last guy uses it and then all of us are at spawn and cant help.

Please feel free to post any suggestions or discuss my current setup (Also feel free to add me for Turf War, I recently got my Wii U and have like 4 friends NNID: Phrave).

Last edited:

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I was going to ask about what to do when one is isolated, dealing with corners or getting flanked, but it sounds like I should be avoiding those kinds of situations to begin with when using the .96 Gal.

Given how fast it uses up ink, I sometimes just activate my Echolocator in order to refill my ink tank. This has saved me a couple times or at least let me keep my tempo after plopping down a Sprinkler, but it is admittedly a more selfish use of Echolocator.

The .96 Gal hits hard and covers a great distance, but it's unfortunate that the rest of the weapon set isn't as directly threatening, as one has to rely almost completely on the .96 to do the killing and enemies can work around that. I think I've maybe killed 1 squid with the Sprinkler in the few games that I played around with the .96 Gal, but that squid was already taking dumb amounts of damage from walking through our ink and not attacking the Sprinkler.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
Given how fast it uses up ink, I sometimes just activate my Echolocator in order to refill my ink tank. This has saved me a couple times or at least let me keep my tempo after plopping down a Sprinkler, but it is admittedly a more selfish use of Echolocator.
I had no idea you could do this. Will try it out, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom