• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Playing support

Momani

Inkling
I was wondering how you effectively play the support role on a team. Most youtube videos I see are from really aggressive players.
I have been playing like that but want to change my playstyle.
I've been thinking of using n zap, jet squelcher and splattershot pro.
Any tip is welcome.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'd say anything with the Squid Beakon is good enough, generally.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Playing support can be difficult, yeah, especially with the game being more combat-focused than ever, but there's value in people backing up their more aggressive allies. Here's some tips from my own experiences.
- Stick with an ally, either by following them or providing overwatch with a ranged weapon like the Jet. You're more likely to succeed if you can turn any potential duel into a 2v1. Of course, you don't want to follow too closely or be too obvious about it lest the enemy get a potential double kill, but that comes with the territory.
- Don't die. Sounds obvious, doesn't it? But really, if you're on support it's even more imperative that you stay alive. If you're supporting with a ranged weapon you're going to often be in a good position for returning allies to super jump to. Of course don't be cowardly, but hold the line as best you can while your aggressive allies die on the objective (or at least that always seems to be how it goes down for me).
- CONTROL THE MAP. I cannot state this enough. People often focus on kills, especially in ranked, but every bit of ink you put down is something the enemy has to cover up to traverse safely. It's worth painting in any mode to make sure the enemy has to really work for a comeback, some of the best one-sided victories happen when the map is mostly one color. If your team's got the upper hand or everyone's distracted and you've got a moment to box the enemy in with painting, do it!

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
Support is extremely recommended when it comes to ranked matches. If everyone rushes in for attacks, it ends up in an ambush. Get to know the maps and practice different routes to keep your enemies off guard. Depending on the map you may want to change your weapons to help you get around and also think about how much ink is around you for escaping if needed.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Support is extremely recommended when it comes to ranked matches. If everyone rushes in for attacks, it ends up in an ambush. Get to know the maps and practice different routes to keep your enemies off guard. Depending on the map you may want to change your weapons to help you get around and also think about how much ink is around you for escaping if needed.
Yes, this. More than any other role, know your escape routes and ideal places for ambushing. Practice sharking too, since you'll often be in a decent position for that.

Siledh

Senior Squid
NNID
Siledhrel
I feel ranked really suits support, especially Tower Control. Push forwarf and ink the opposing team's routes, force their players to deal with you rather than the inkling on the tower.

Same for Splat Zones. Some of my best ganes have been running interference, building up my special and blasting enemies from afar when they threaten the zone or the defender there.

Learn how to flank and force the enemy aqay from their objective. I saw a great sniper in a Splat Zone who took most of us out before we could threaten the zone, but once flanked, they were useless.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
Support is basically all I've ever played, and it is a bit different in Splatoon, compared to other shooters. You may get a lot of kills or not, because you are stopping enemy players from approaching or pushing. Support takes basically the concept of option selects, reducing enemy options as much as possible. This means you are shooting at enemies frequently, but getting the kill is not important. By limiting their options, it lets your teammates do that for you.

I've easily gotten S+ in both games (for all modes in 2) by just playing good support. It is even better in 2, since invincible specials are gone, and breaking armor safely is very important. Also since the meta game currently revolves around short range weapons, and far less chargers, the mid/long range shooter support roles really shine.

So simply, support is extremely viable, if not essential for maximizing your team's pushes, and stopping the enemy team's pushes.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't think people in this thread are really talking about support, but more like solid teamplay. It's still good advice to follow, though!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I don't think people in this thread are really talking about support, but more like solid teamplay. It's still good advice to follow, though!
One really requires the other in order to be skilled in that role, so yeah :P

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
If you're gonna run support. I suggest taking anything with Ink Armor. Ink Armor right now is stupidly busted. You can use it to push your team through enemies like nothing. Ink Armor and Charge Special Up to keep the uptime on Ink Armor strong.

Momani

Inkling
Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't been able to try your tips in ranked yet since there is still splatfest in EU. But I have been using the jet squelcher with great success. Playing a defender role.
But it's very easy to see people coming on most maps I've been playing so it feels like cheating almost

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't been able to try your tips in ranked yet since there is still splatfest in EU. But I have been using the jet squelcher with great success. Playing a defender role.
But it's very easy to see people coming on most maps I've been playing so it feels like cheating almost
There is no cheating, only alternate paths to victory! :D

Siledh

Senior Squid
NNID
Siledhrel
Finally got myself a ninja ability so it will be a lot harder to see me. That would be a good ability for a support player.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Support is one of my main components. I keep end eye on the map at all times to see if someone leaked behind the lines of ink, or act as a line breaker. That is what waiting for the gold dynamo roller is worth the chance...If it is, if I say so myself. I miss the ink strikes, and the bombs that it had with it. Curses.

If you ever want to be the one who defends the mid turf, or going over. You might want a tank like weapon, and a bomb sub that can keep the team from branching over. Blaster are good for recovering, and keeping such away from going too close, and it keeps them back. But make sure you check the length of it, some blasters are shorter than others, used for more offensive support.

Of course, the dynamos are GREAT for this. They are not meant for close combat, but to reach far to get the team quickly over to the other side. The sub for the current vanilla is great to keep track who tries to come up. Even if it doesn't get them, it will track where they are for a few seconds. The stingray could be a bit better, though.

I also love the tri-slosher. It's REALLY effective into getting places that are hard to see, and it's fast. It is one of a kind and makes brush users heads spin when used properly. This weapon is really good for support because you can get quickly behind the enemy and charge up your special. Also you can splat them in the face, then toss in a slosh to get a more quicker kill. (Learn to bomb cancel too...)

My other advises are: Be VERY alert, check your map often, prepare to sweat because you are going to be moving quite a lot to avoid contact and outsmart your foes, be smart and don't jump into the fray like your other team members, keep your distance and use your map knowledge to take advantage of the team! Do a lot of ink savors, or ink recovery ups, you will be needing it! Oh, also the ink savor subs.

You might not be able to do all the cool stuff like your warrior members are doing, but pretend that you are directing the machine itself, watching the missiles fly to the target. You can also direct your friends to safe places.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Frankly, a sniper of any form is considered support (unless you're playing one of THOSE games where the only thing that anyone will ever use is a sniper rifle). That basically puts Chargers in the support place no matter what. But the term "support" can lean towards a lot of things depending on the scenario.

Rollers, which are generally an independent weapon for loners who like to be up close, personal, and grind some enemies into the turf can easily be turned into a support player in Rainmaker. Their ability to quickly and effectively make large paths for increased mobility across an entire map makes them excellent supports since the entire point of Rainmaker is to get the bloody thing from point A to point B.

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
Aerospray MG with Curling Bombs is amazing by the way. It creates a large area of denial and can help push your team to victory, of course I am still a novice, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Aerospray MG with Curling Bombs is amazing by the way. It creates a large area of denial and can help push your team to victory, of course I am still a novice, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
This is easily punished by any ranged weapon if the launcher user gets overzealous and vastly depends on the terrain. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom