POLL: WHY NO TURF WAR TOURNAMENTS, AND WOULD YOU PARTICIPATE IN ONE?

Would you participate in a turf war tournament?

• Yes. Sounds good.

• No. Not competitive enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pandapearfruit

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
If you look in the tournament listings area in Squidboards, you will see Ranked battles tournaments left and right. This brings up two questions that I have: Why aren't there any turf war tournaments, and would anyone participate in something like that? I, myself think that some people don't participate in Ranked Battles tournaments because they don't want to get destroyed by a team like Team Paradise because their team is full of Bs and B-s who aren't at the skill level to fairly face a team with that much skill. If this thread (and others) get enough support, maybe people may start organizing turf war tournaments like they would a ranked battles tournament. I don't know. what do you think?

Last edited:

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Hi, I'm a TO. There are so so many reasons why we don't run turf war tournaments. It's just inherently uncompetitive. The end result is predicated on the very end of the match and not at all on anything before that. You don't have to play well the entire match as long as you get one good play at the very end. Compare that to splat zones, tower control, and to a lesser extent rainmaker, which are all much more competitively balanced games. Don't expect to see many turf war tournaments in the future

Jakkie

Full Squid
Well, I wouldn't mind, maybe not a Turf war, but completing tasks and solving complex situations, were every team player has points and a overall score. And then, when the Tournament is finished, they add up each team's points and see who has more. Some mini-games would be neat, and could use teamwork and strategy.

TeaSpoonz

Inkling
NNID
Teaspoonz
I think that some people don't participate in Ranked Battles tournaments because they don't want to get destroyed by a team like Team Paradise because their team is full of Bs and B-s who aren't at the skill level to fairly face a team with that much skill.
But that is what a tournament is there for. To decide the more skilled team at that given time.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Okay, here I go. I've composed myself here.

We as a community have been discussing Turf War in depth since the release of the game. Ink or Sink was the main tournament that decided a lot of things for us. People hated Turf in IoS, as proven by the game of Turf Chicken played in the semifinals.

In summary, Turf war is easily swung in the last few seconds of the game. It didn't exactly matter what you did for the first 2:30 of the game; it came down to the last 30 seconds and which team could use their specials to wipe the other team and gain the most turf to claim victory.

This special roundup is what makes Turf not competitive. That's why nobody uses it competitively, because it's not fun competitively. Heck, @luigisly made the comment last night asking "How would you even commentate this?" (in reference to Turf). It's ultimately not fun for a few, not spectator friendly, and ultimately not a mode suited for competitive play.

So, There you have it. Because we decided this like 3 months ago. If you want to make your own Turf war tournaments, feel free to do so, but don't expect any top teams to sign up. Also, don't say the word "Competitive" in reference to your tournament. Because it's not. Sorry, that's the way it is. If you would like to, many threads have gone to this very topic. Go ahead and browse them to see how extensive we've gone through this.

And if you for one second think that the results of your Turf war tournament will be counted in any competitive rankings, I suggest you think again. Because they won't be.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I'll keep it simple.

Turf is atrocious as a "competitive" mode

If you are not good enough to beat good teams that your problem.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Why aren't there any turf war tournaments,
Its called Splatfest fam. Happens monthly.

Honestly though, there's not turf war tournaments because no one the majority of teams don't want to play that mode. However, I disagree with a a lot of the excuses reasons people have why turf war isn't competitive. That said there doesn't need to be a justification, if most people don't want to play it because its boring, which I do in fact agree with.

You are more than welcome to organize your own tourneys, although TBH a team like Paradise would still destroy a low ranked team, even at turf war. Then you would just have those lower ranks complaining about being camped the entire game. A lower ranked team would have a better shot at an all rainmaker tourney since you can just spam specials for the win.

Pandapearfruit

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
Yeah. I had a conversation with my friends and they had the same answer to this question as you guys did. I just wanted to see if they weren't tho only ones with that same mind set.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
If you look in the tournament listings area in Spudoards, you will see Ranked battles tournaments left and right. This brings up two questions that I have: Why aren't there any turf war tournaments, and would anyone participate in something like that? I think that some people don't participate in Ranked Battles tournaments because they don't want to get destroyed by a team like Team Paradise because their team is full of Bs and B-s who aren't at the skill level to fairly face a team with that much skill. If this thread (and others) get enough support, maybe people may start organizing turf war tournaments like they would a ranked battles tournament. I don't know. what do you think?
Why would you want to support the casuals? They aren't worth our time.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
We don't run turf war tournaments because people aren't interested in them. People aren't interested in Turf war because it's uncompetitive. If there was a large enough demand for turf war tournaments, they'd be run. But that is not the case.

The reasoning for it really doesn't matter. If people don't want to play in tournaments based around Turf War, then tournaments won't be made for Turf War. No demand = no supply will be made.

I personally don't find Turf War Competitive, but you bet your bank account that if there was a large number of teams that wanted to play a turf war tournament, I'd be the first one to jump on the wagon and offer them one. But that's not the case, so I do not.

D

Deleted Member

Turf War was not designed to be competitive, and it shows. Octo Valley is essentially the tutorial mode where you learn the very basics and fundementals of the game, while Turf War is the introductory online mode designed for new and casual players to learn the basics of the game's multiplayer.

Pandapearfruit

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jchalla
I've just taken a look at the votes.......and what a landslide! 26.5% of people would participate in a turf war. While 73.5% of us said that they weren't competitive enough..( I know that you had other reasons as to why turf-war tournaments don't exist)

Power

Inkling Commander
25.7 to 74.3 now. But most of the points needed to be said were said here. I am just contributing to the no turf thing.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I would be down for a turf war tournament. A lot has changed since ink or sink, I think it's worth a shot. I can see turf as being competitively viable. it's like taking splat zones, but upping the ante. You have to gain control and hold it, even through special spam, and it doesn't matter if you did good the first part of the match, it matters whether you're a good enough team to hold the others off during the last 30. plus most players have developed counters to almost every special so it shouldn't be as bad as it was when a kraken (or bubbler) meant a team wipe. In all honestly splat zones should be played like turf war, but everybody always just guards the zone, instead of advancing and making sure the opponents can't get back to the zone.

So yeah, I think it's worth a second try, I myself would be glad to participate.

that's just my two cents.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I would be down for a turf war tournament. A lot has changed since ink or sink, I think it's worth a shot. I can see turf as being competitively viable. it's like taking splat zones, but upping the ante. You have to gain control and hold it, even through special spam, and it doesn't matter if you did good the first part of the match, it matters whether you're a good enough team to hold the others off during the last 30.
Was going to leave my thoughts about TW to what I posted above but your post brings up some points that I think need to be (re)addressed and I took the bait.

I don't necessarily disagree with where you are coming from and make some valid points above however TW's viability needs to be considered in relation to the current meta of ranked modes. TW has a lack of focus on a specific objective. The objective in TW is map control. However, map control is vital to any ranked mode. Look at the screen at the end of the match 9/10 the winning team, also has majority of the map in their ink (the exception to this is OT since a team can make a push, retake the map, yet not push objective timer far enough before they are killed or OT times out).

The lack of specificity in the mode makes encounters less likely as well as eliminates most of the strategy of approaching encounters, since the entire map is brought into active play. This is also further shown by the fact there are no time/percentage counters and little indication besides the random "danger" and looking on your gamepad to eyeball who might have the upper-hand.

If anything this mode is the "lite" version of splat zones and ranked in general. Its a intro into the fundamentals of the game, without putting too much pressure on teamwork or needing actual skill in terms of 1v1s to win.

plus most players have developed counters to almost every special so it shouldn't be as bad as it was when a kraken (or bubbler) meant a team wipe.
This is still an issue in rainmaker (which in terns of style of gameplay is essentially closer to an "anted up" TW). Counters or no, there isnt much you can do at times when an inkzooka is coming your way or you have gotten the enemy to 99.9 dmg, put in the extra shot but they instantly kraken or bubble.

In all honestly splat zones should be played like turf war, but everybody always just guards the zone, instead of advancing and making sure the opponents can't get back to the zone.
No. It should not be played like TW. Spawn camping is only a thing in TW for a reason. Smart players do not camp spawns they camp choke points. It just so happens most choke points are near or right next to the zone. All spawn camping does is build enemy special for a wipe and for them to take back the zone.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd be up for a Turf War tournament; partly since I don't enjoy the Ranked game modes and the insta-knockouts and partly since you can pretty much use anything and still be relevant in the battle somehow ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom