• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

(Poll) Will You Plan on Paying for Nintendo Switch Online?

Will You Pay For Nintendo Switch Online

• Total voters

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Mr. Squiggly Squid Except, for once, this isn't me just nitpicking; I'm not even the only one who has (rightfully) been complaining. It's fine that you are willing to pay for Nintendo Switch Online, but thinking that a $20 toll won't negatively affect the overall player base (if you actually do) is silly. I know Squidboards doesn't exactly represent the player base as a whole, but it's better than nothing. Plus, we've gotten a miniature lecture in economics, curtesy of Ulk and Cyan. :p

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I’m just tired of the salt.
Me too, but it's all I seem to get when nintendo still says nothing and I bring up that we're paying for no good reason. =[

If you hate Splatoon 2 and paid multiplayer, then fine
But I love splatoon 2. . . too
which is what drives me to hate the paid online more.

I apologize for saying that, I’ve just been having a rough day.
Yeah, same here. Car repairs and unexpected car repairs are essential and (mostly)foreseeable, but still s*****.

PS: I also just want o say that I also am getting tired of fans of the paid online responding with the stock "ur 2 por 2 pay, tats ur prob brub"
Well, I try hard to be thrifty. The cynical side of me wonders if the people responding to me in such a mechanical manner even pay all their bills. but there's that hypocrisy again xD

Last edited:

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Yeah, same here. Car repairs and unexpected car repairs are essential and (mostly)foreseeable, but still s*****.
I hope you didn't bring it to the dealer; Nintendo only wishes they could scam you that hard.

Padre

Pro Squid
If your wallet cant take 20, just get a new and cheaper hobby, like jogging.

20 is nothing for me, I make two hundred times that per. day. :)

And its three times cheaper than competition.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Well that's great for you, but I make 0 times that per day; I'm currently a senior in high school, and then I'll be a broke college student.

All of our wallets can take $20, but the question is wether or not we believe it is worth spending our $20 on this. And while most people here believe it is, who knows what the general (less dedicated) player base thinks? Playing Splatoon 2 isn't actually mandatory.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I guess the quantity of quality games, is what matters if you pay for the online service.
Especially games that is based on online features and online multiplayer aspects, when Smash hits the Switch, i'm pretty certain a lot will buy it, but with the games as it stands...

But the plus side is:
+ Hackers paying for the services and gets banned, will not make another account to buy and bypass that again (most likely)
+ Less people buying the service means less connection shared and better online stability (even if it's a 1 - 5% difference)

But is it worth the downside of having half your video game library unavailable as most of them require online service? If not paying for it.
And having less people to play with.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
If your wallet cant take 20, just get a new and cheaper hobby, like jogging.

And its three times cheaper than competition.
If someone's argument for buying something is that he can afford it, I really can't imagine that person to have a well paying job at all. Those who earn well and are well paid for their time usually spend by absolute far the most time questioning the value of their purchases. That's a well known economic-psychological fact. 20 is nothing for most of us. That's nothing to clap for. As for pretty much anyone whose time at work actually has true value though, they'd strongly question if paying for nothing but a mere ransom is really worth the time they spend to make their living.

Also it's not "cheaper" than the competition's service. The word cheap does not refer to a high or small sum of money. It refers to the value of the product in proportion to its price. 20$ for 1l of water is expensive. 20.000.000$ for a first world country is cheap. The competition offers yearly discounts and freebies at the worth of nearly 1.000$ a year, have a history of professional online services and, even if not provided by themselves, actually do offer dedicated servers to some degree. With Nintendo's well known history of a catastrophic online service, their history of being very well known to be by absolute far the cheapest when it comes to discounts and freebies and their already disappointing initial plans for their online services, there is nothing "cheap" about 20$ for nothing.

Photon Jet

Inkster Jr.
Yes, I'll pay for the online service. It's only a small amount so it's not that much of a big deal. Just hope the connections improve the day it arrives. Nintendo is wonderful but not perfect and I think they'll find the solution to the Wi-Fi dropouts soon enough.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Thanks for being considerate. What? I edited your post? No I'm pretty sure this is what you posted. It's what I read anyways (I'm saltier than the dead sea at this point. I'll see myself out now)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Kind of unfortunate that this thread is slowly dwindling into a hate circlejerk on Nintendo's online plans, but on the other hand... i really hope Nintendo has something ready like a new SSB title to convince others to pay for their service, because right now it's not looking very good.

I really do want them to succeed, but given the switch in it's current state a paid online service is not going to work.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Kind of unfortunate that this thread is slowly dwindling into a hate circlejerk on Nintendo's online plans, but on the other hand... i really hope Nintendo has something ready like a new SSB title to convince others to pay for their service, because right now it's not looking very good.

I really do want them to succeed, but given the switch in it's current state a paid online service is not going to work.
I wouldn't say that. I mean it can pretty safely be assumed that we are all Switch and Splatoon owners here, which does show some form of love for their products. But this is what love should be limited to in a business relationship. Love for their products. Love of what they can do for us. Because like they only care for their profit, it would be completely irrational for us to care for anything else but our own player experience. If Switch owners themselves criticize Nintendo, there is a good reason for that.
You should never hope for someone else's success in a business relationship. Their "success" in this case is basically successfully ripping off customers, which is your loss. Therefore it's unbelievably irrational to just support a company because you like them. Their only priority is largest profit for the least possible amount of work. Accordingly a customer's priority should be their best gaming experience at lowest possible price. Blind one-sided love for a company and ignoring their actions is exactly why they get away with those actions in the first place.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I wouldn't say that. I mean it can pretty safely be assumed that we are all Switch and Splatoon owners here, which does show some form of love for their products. But this is what love should be limited to in a business relationship. Love for their products. Love of what they can do for us. Because like they only care for their profit, it would be completely irrational for us to care for anything else but our own player experience. If Switch owners themselves criticize Nintendo, there is a good reason for that.
You should never hope for someone else's success in a business relationship. Their "success" in this case is basically successfully ripping off customers, which is your loss. Therefore it's unbelievably irrational to just support a company because you like them. Their only priority is largest profit for the least possible amount of work. Accordingly a customer's priority should be their best gaming experience at lowest possible price. Blind one-sided love for a company and ignoring their actions is exactly why they get away with those actions in the first place.
I'm not implying that. I want Nintendo to be able to launch a paid online service that's worth it for the consumer, or at least get it in a better state than it is now to the point i'm willing to fork over the 20 bux per year for it.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
I'll be extremely offended if the netcode/servers/etc aren't drastically improved when the paid online comes up and will consider not paying for it. SSB deluxe (the Wii U one, a new SSB title isn't happening) coming up with it wouldn't change my mind either.

I might cave in just for my love of inklings.

Last edited:

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Well, in the end it boils down to this: Pay 20 bucks a year or you can't play Splatoon 2 online anymore.

Everyone should just take a step back, look at their personal situation and see if they feel it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom