Possible understanding of how Latency and servers work

Xenoda

Inkling
NNID
Xenoda
Myself and a few other Twitch streamers have been trying to figure out how the latency works in this game, as we've been experiencing it quite a bit in the higher ranks of ranked mode. We think we might have finally figured out how the connections work in this game, but we're not certain, this is just what we notice while playing many, many games (over 50+ hours right now).

The top person in the list of players is the "host". Every other player on the list is listed according to latency, which is why you may see 5 Japanese players in a row ahead of 3 Europeon/US players. When the host leaves, it seems to pick the next player in line according to latency to become the new host. This host experiences no latency and it would explain why people have been all booted out of the game when the host quits.

We have tested this and noticed that no matter how SLOW we click the "play next" button, we're still in the same spot, so it's not how fast you click it.

What's this mean? Well, if you see quite a few Japanese players ahead of you in the list of players, you may want to consider finding a different game.

TLDR Top player is host, everyone else is listed according to latency to them. Latency is also why you may notice your shots hitting the enemy but not damaging them.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
Thanks!

I've suspected that users host the games themselves for quite some time as I've written in this thread ( http://squidboards.com/threads/so-j...anked-match-while-streaming-i-am-pissed.1902/ )

While this can lead to some bullshit online it has the benefit of a secretly hidden pseudo-LAN mode where Wii Us on a local network can communicate very fast but they have to go through the router.
I didn't think of that. While I hate when games use a peer to peer system instead of dedicated servers it might mean that tournament will have basically no lag because of it which would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom