Preferred Playstyles?

luna_runes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lilak-krypt
I'm trying to learn a defensive playstyle with E-Liter 3k Scope, but I'm starting to hate how dependent on my team I am, especially when they don't care that the enemy is in our base and taking me out :|

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It leans more towards offense with Seekers, but it's a capable defensive weapon and Inkstrikes are a great support tool. I think most people prefer to attack with it though.
I tend to stick to a few areas, though. I guess I play a mix of defensive and offensive, but mostly defensive.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I got bored of rushing down with rollers all the time and picked up the (Custom) Hydra Splatling... being more of a support staying back covering ground and pressuring from afar.... and I love it. Even if I end most games with 0:0 or 1:0.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I love supporting and playing defensively. I think that's because of my "mother hen" personality in real life, ah ha ha. It's just a nice feeling whenever you help someone get a splat or save them from an enemy.

Whether I play defensively or support, I use the Tentatek Splattershot or Kelp Splatterscope. I find that both weapons are well-rounded enough to play both roles yet also push forward when required (in particular the Splattershot). That's just my personal preference though.

When playing these roles I always ensure that my positioning is safe and useful enough for a super jumping teammate. I'm usually the last one standing so it's important that I maintain a good position so my teammates can quickly and safely jump back into the fray. I also usually create paths, cover turf to stop enemy progress, ink below a teammate if they're stuck in enemy ink and prevent enemy flanks.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm trying to learn a defensive playstyle with E-Liter 3k Scope, but I'm starting to hate how dependent on my team I am, especially when they don't care that the enemy is in our base and taking me out :|
It just takes a WHOLE LOT of practice. Eliters are kind of offensively defensive (which offends some squids! ;) ) You have to defend by being so offensive there's nothing that approaches you to have to defend. Which of course never ACTUALLY happens, but that's the sort of working theory. But either knowing when to retreat or learning how to be evasive and still have a solid chance of winning CQC encounters really helps to not be so team dependent. Enemies WILL rush you and flank you, and they get quite a surprise when they figure out that 2 partial charged eliter shots can still take them out. It's not easy to do, but it can be done. You kind of have to aim like a squiffer, shoot like a bamboozler, all with the mobility of a hydra :p I'm as likely to shoot from the ground at the rear as I am from up on a perch, and in most ranked modes, more likely. Even eliters can help push the objective as a rear-line support, and it's harder for enemies to flank you if they're not actually sure where you're going to be!

If you go up against those S+ Japanese sniper aces, take note of WHERE they seem to be getting you from. I'm amazed sometimes at the places they've thought of to snipe from! After observing a lot of the best snipers play, I've learned to be a lot more aggressive in my use of eliter. It's strange to call it an offensive weapon, but it really can be used that way, and the top snipers do seem to use it that way. Higher tier players know where the sniper perches are and know to go guns plazing at the perches to get rid of a sniper. They're sure surprised when they find the perches empty and still get splatted from across the map by a sniper that was waiting for them. Comparatively the hydra is more "pure defensive" IMO.

I know what you mean about your team NOT paying attention to you getting flanked. That's probably the most frustrating thing as a sniper. And there's little that can be done about it. Ultimately you can fall back and try to take them out until the team figures it out. It won't do much good trying to hold your ground, after all. Let me guess, this happens most on Depot? :D

i prefer to play aggressively...even though i have a defensive weapon...FRONT LINE SPLATCHARGERRRR
Oh yeah, the splat charger shotgun FTW! ;) Splat charger's not a sniper rifle, it's the squiffer the way it should have been! ;)

luna_runes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lilak-krypt
It just takes a WHOLE LOT of practice. Eliters are kind of offensively defensive (which offends some squids! ;) ) You have to defend by being so offensive there's nothing that approaches you to have to defend. Which of course never ACTUALLY happens, but that's the sort of working theory. But either knowing when to retreat or learning how to be evasive and still have a solid chance of winning CQC encounters really helps to not be so team dependent. Enemies WILL rush you and flank you, and they get quite a surprise when they figure out that 2 partial charged eliter shots can still take them out. It's not easy to do, but it can be done. You kind of have to aim like a squiffer, shoot like a bamboozler, all with the mobility of a hydra :p I'm as likely to shoot from the ground at the rear as I am from up on a perch, and in most ranked modes, more likely. Even eliters can help push the objective as a rear-line support, and it's harder for enemies to flank you if they're not actually sure where you're going to be!

If you go up against those S+ Japanese sniper aces, take note of WHERE they seem to be getting you from. I'm amazed sometimes at the places they've thought of to snipe from! After observing a lot of the best snipers play, I've learned to be a lot more aggressive in my use of eliter. It's strange to call it an offensive weapon, but it really can be used that way, and the top snipers do seem to use it that way. Higher tier players know where the sniper perches are and know to go guns plazing at the perches to get rid of a sniper. They're sure surprised when they find the perches empty and still get splatted from across the map by a sniper that was waiting for them. Comparatively the hydra is more "pure defensive" IMO.

I know what you mean about your team NOT paying attention to you getting flanked. That's probably the most frustrating thing as a sniper. And there's little that can be done about it. Ultimately you can fall back and try to take them out until the team figures it out. It won't do much good trying to hold your ground, after all. Let me guess, this happens most on Depot? :D

Oh yeah, the splat charger shotgun FTW! ;) Splat charger's not a sniper rifle, it's the squiffer the way it should have been! ;)
Thanks for the advice. I feel like I already got the general gist from the guides that I've been reading, but I needed these helpful pointers. How did you know that I was complaining about Depot in particular? :p

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Thanks for the advice. I feel like I already got the general gist from the guides that I've been reading, but I needed these helpful pointers. How did you know that I was complaining about Depot in particular? :p
No problem!

Haha, somehow when I picture the scenario you described I immediately picture Depot. NOTHING exemplifies 3 teammates having only half the map and one route to watch while you alone watch the other only to find the 3 of them failed on there side where you succeeded on yours like Depot :p The real secret more times than not is they're playing Team Deathmatch, not defending the opposite pit at all, and they pressed too far ahead up into the enemy base, got themselves killed, and meanwhile the enemy had free reign of the other side. With teammates like that you're going to be a sniper stuck with 1v4 containment no matter what. ;)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I have two modes: "psychotic" and "cautious". The latter is usually the case in ranked but I will switch on a whim. My weapon selection and heavy usage of quick respawn reflects this.

Nitros

Inkling
NNID
Nee-tos
Never fight unless you have to.stay hidden and ink as much ground as possible while providing a Safe drop zone for teammates

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom