Previous Competitive Shooter Experience

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Before I got into competitive Smash with Brawl, I played Gears of War and Halo competitively for a few years. Was never very good at either of them, but always tried to improve. Became somewhat decent at Gears in tournament by the time Gears 2 came out, then kinda didn't stick around for 3, but still will always have love and respect for the game.

Honestly, Splatoon feels a lot like Gears of War than any other shooter, personally. Interesting how many of you seem to identify with TF2, but I really get a Gears feel from the game.
Never really got into gears personally, anything other than 3rd person that makes it feel like Gears to you? Also have you seen there is a rumour there is a gears remastered version being made for Xbox One?

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Never really got into gears personally, anything other than 3rd person that makes it feel like Gears to you? Also have you seen there is a rumour there is a gears remastered version being made for Xbox One?
Well, it being a third-person arena shooter is a big part of it. The movement, too, feels a lot like a mix of Gears of War's wallbouncing and Melee's wavedashing.

It's also super gritty and gory just like Gears, too. /s

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I played JK2, JK3, and CS 1.6 10+ years ago. JK2/3 were built on the Quake 3 engine, so they were sort of like arena shooters with sword fighting built in. I played mainly for the sword fighting. The most competitive I ever got was probably in JK3. I never got quite there in CS, though some in my clan were pretty good, and I would have been alright if I had put in more time.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
None were competively, b/c I was too young to realize that that even existed xD
But I played so much I usually dominated (as it was always my goal), but I was spending way too much time playing and I had to stop.
but the games I have played... Medal of Honor (pistol FTW), Halo I and II, Unreal Tournament, and Deadzone (with my bros, its a great team strategy that has king of the hill matches).

Michael!

Inkster Jr.
I have a ton of COD experience hopefully it transfers over. I mostly play 1st but I do play 3rd a lot so it should not be that hard.

Vinyl.

Inkster Jr.
I currently play Team Fortress 2, both in casual and competitive, although comp is really struggling to get it together. I play most of the classes, but main class would be the scout for offensive play and strategies. Secondary would be sniper. I spent the most of my hours in this game compared to any other shooter, and I've gotten pretty good at it.

I also play Black Ops 2 from my Wii U console. As I have a lack of experience in the game, I do my best to improve.

Rhino47

thInk Tank Captain
NNID
Rhino47
Lots of CoD and Halo on Xbox 360/One, Lots of CoD: Black Ops 2 on Wii U, The Conduit on Wii, Metroid Prime: Hunters on DS, and some Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on PC.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I played TF2 for a while and Counter Strike 1.6 back when I was in high school (2006 or so). I also played some single player shooters like Portal/2 (not really a shooter, but still) and BioShock/2, to name a few. I am not really going to play Splatoon ""competitively"", though.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
My experience with shooters is vast. Played Quake, Unreal, Halo, CoD for 2 games (WaW and MW2,) Battlefield 3, TF2, Titanfall, Killzone, Gears of War, Hawken, Ghost Recon, and looking foward to Overwatch, I think I will be good with shooter experience.

I played Halo 3 and Titanfall on a semi-competitive level. Never went full blown compeitive, since I never had the time to fully commit to it.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I played Plants vs Zombies: Garden warfare and some call of duty at friends houses.
I'm ok at both. I think splatoon's mechanics will be a lot easier for me considering it plays like a 3d plattformer almost.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I've never played a competitive shooter before. I mess around in COD when my little brother wants to play multiplayer but that's it. Although, I don't think prior experience in the genre is going to be necessary as Splatoon's goal and mechanics are so uniqus it looks like it will require players to learn techniques specific to this game.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
The only shooter I've ever invested any significant amount of time into is TF2, and even that I haven't touched in a couple years. So I should be nice and scrubby. The only game I have ever been interested in competitively is Smash, but Splatoon definitely tickles my fancy, and I'm going to give it my best effort.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I've never played a competitive shooter before. I mess around in COD when my little brother wants to play multiplayer but that's it. Although, I don't think prior experience in the genre is going to be necessary as Splatoon's goal and mechanics are so uniqus it looks like it will require players to learn techniques specific to this game.
You would be surprised how many things different shooters have in common with one another. Of course each shooter also has unique things that players need to adjust to as well.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I've been playing tf2 for a long while but that's it, as I was never into shooting games and much preferred my weeaboo RPGs. I was never that good at tf2, or maybe everyone was just better than I was, but I never felt all that stellar.

On that note, I'm glad Splatoon is sort if a clean slate, id be getting stomped otherwise. It's reassuring to see so many shooter vets hang around here, I hope to learn from you in the future.

kinetik07

Senior Squid
Anyone here play Ratchet & Clank before? Splatoon reminds me of the unconventional guns and modes of travel in that game.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Gears of War 1, 2 and 3 were where I really got into it. Those were my most competitive shooters and I'd like to think I was really good at them. I remember playing Gears 3 every day with my friends and I was almost always MVP of the team and entire game. Sometimes one of my friends would come close or get the MVP status over me, but we were all very good and worked so well together. I played a lot of Halo 3 and thought I was pretty good. Better than a lot of my friends, but other friends were truly skilled and very competitive. I didn't stand a real chance of winning against them, but I usually held my own. I've played a good deal of Team Fortress 2 as well, but I've just never gotten into the competitive aspect of that game. I've watched a decent amount of competitive play though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom