• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Primary Abilities: What's the Best Set Up?

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
What's the best set up for the three primary abilities?

Edit: How about for Splatter Shot Jr. in Turf Wars

Last edited:

halpenstance

Inkling
Personally, I tend to think the Primary Abilities should be (what I call) the gear type's perks. So things like Bomb Sniffer, Ninja Squid, etc.

Right now I'm Using:
Tenacity
Ninja Squid
Ink Resistance

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The primary abilities, huh?
You should probably use whatever works best with your weapon, but for some general suggestions;
For headwear, try Special Saver (so you don't lose all of your special charge when you get splatted), or maybe Special Charge Up or Tenacity (they both charge your special up faster, which is good), maybe Special Duration Up if you've got a special that works until the meter empties (Kraken, for example).
For clothing, Ninja Squid is great if you're not using a Charger (no need to sneak around if you're sniping). If you are using a Charger (or maybe a Dynamo Roller, they can kinda do sniper stuff with their HUGESWINGS), go for an Ink Saver (Main if you don't use your Sub Weapon much, Sub if you do), or maybe Ink Recovery Up (to restore ink quickly).
For footwear, unless you're using a Charger, you NEED Ink Resistance, it'll save your life. If you are using a Charger, perhaps consider Swim Speed Up (for getaways) or one of the Ink Savers or Ink Recovery Up (see above).

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Tenacity
Quick Respawn
Quick Super Jump
Run Speed Up
Ninja Squid
Ink Resist Up
Comeback

All of them are great and you should focus to roll 3x for most weapons. Some of them are main slot only.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I'm a big fan of Recon and Ink Resistance. Recon lets you have decently safe jump ins without the reduced speed of stealth jump as well as letting you have an idea of where foes are before you rush out. Haunt is fun and Cold Blooded lets you get out of tracking faster but I just find Recon a lot more useful, and it'll only get more useful when team matches come out. Ink Resistance is just great all around and I see this being the preferred ability for shoes by far. Bomb Sniffer might be a niche alternative, as is Stealth Jump.

Opening Gambit, Tenacity, or any good ability like swim speed up, special charge up, ink recovery up, etc all work well for headgear imo.

Chewi

Full Squid
NNID
IronChefCanada
Boots should be Ink Resistance. Shirt - toss up between Ninja Squid and Cold Blooded, I would lean towards Cold Blooded for ranked and Ninja Squid for turf war. The exclusive hat abilities are not as good as shoes/shirt, so I would go with the most important non-exclusive: ink saver (main), unless you have 3 or more sub abilities as ink saver (main).

This is what I will run at least.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
For the shirt, cold blooded or ninja squid. For the boots, Ink resist. Currently, this is what I have been seeing a whole lot of people run. If you manage to get two swim speed up subs, and you are running ninja squid, then congrays, because now you just negated Ninja squid's effects, which let's you use your head piece for just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom