Pro Controller Support Thread

Should Splatoon offer Pro Controller Support?

• Definitely. I don't know why it wasn't in from the start!

• Sure, I guess. I won't use it.

• No. The Gamepad is what makes Splatoon unique.

• I have no opinion on the matter. Whatever.

Results are only viewable after voting.

staindgrey

Inkling
NNID
staindgrey
There have been a few threads before relating to this subject, but the most recent one I could find in a quick search was from over a month ago and had a total of five posts. So, I'd like to formally create a thread for anyone craving a patch that will allow them to use their controller of choice:

To anyone questioning why some of us would vastly prefer this controller over the gamepad, here's a list of reasons:
  • It's more natural to hold, particularly for anyone used to an Xbox, Playstation or Gamecube controller.
  • Its triggers are closer together and the controller is lighter, making rapid-trigger weapons like the Ink Brush less straining to use.
  • Its battery life is way longer. Like, it's not even a contest.
  • For stick-users, the closer analog sticks provide easier aiming.

And to anyone suggesting that the Pro Controller can't work due to a lack of a touch screen, I have counterpoints:
  • Every multiplayer shooter in existence that isn't named Splatoon has a button on the controller that pulls up a map onscreen. Conveniently, Splatoon leaves 3-5 buttons unmapped in normal play (the L-shoulder, the A- and B-buttons and the left and right D-pad directions).
  • By pulling up a map onscreen with, say, the L-shoulder, a player could simply maneuver a cursor to whatever spot he wants to jump to-- or possibly even scroll through the possibilities quickly with the left/right D-pad directions. This could be just as fast as, or possibly faster than, taking one's eyes offscreen to look at the gamepad.
  • Same goes for Inkstrikes, as using one would automatically pull up a map and cursor for the player to pick a target and hit the A-button. Again, no need to look down at your gamepad.
  • The lack of a touchscreen would result in a loss of the handy buttons in the hub world, but really, that's just a design choice. They could be easily be pulled up on the TV screen with the press of a button if Nintendo desired.

I understand that Nintendo is likely forgoing Pro Controller support to reinforce the idea that a game like Splatoon is only capable on the Wii U. But I really don't feel that's necessary. Splatoon is unique due to its software design, aesthetics and emphasis on a more pleasant community. The gamepad isn't what makes Splatoon, Splatoon.

In a similar situation, I purchased Resident Evil: Revelations for Wii U, excited to use the touchscreen as it had originally been intended on the 3DS. However, after struggling more than expected within the first couple hours of playing a game I already knew quite well, I switched to the Pro Controller-- and never looked back. The same went for Mass Effect 3 shortly after. This isn't a knock on the gamepad's design or purpose; the Pro Controller is simply a better designed controller for the purpose of a third-person POV shooter.

To anyone who likewise would like to see a patch supporting the use of our Wii U Pro Controllers, feel free to post your thoughts, news, button-mapping ideas or, y'know, memes. Memes are always good.

Last edited:

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
I would actually like to have it so that the touch screen on the gamepad still works so that I can prop it up while I use the pro controller. I may even pay more attention to it then.

staindgrey

Inkling
NNID
staindgrey
Guess that could work, Mr. Gency. Seems a bit proprietary, but why not.

Unfortunately, it looks like very few people in this community share my frustration with the lack of controller options. That's unfortunate.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Did Someone say memes?

Different controller support NEEDs to happen, there's no question about it.
Dear Nintendo, Either make competitive games or don't stop giving us freaking inbetween teases.

Zippy

Inkling
I'm in favor of Pro Controller support.

Also in favor of on-screen mini-map. We shouldn't have to take our eyes off the screen to look at the map!

staindgrey

Inkling
NNID
staindgrey
Thank you all for chiming in. Also, @Zippy, I fully agree. I know the gamepad is what makes the Wii U hardware unique, but it's actually more difficult to take your eyes away from the screen than it is to simply glance at something in the corner.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
When I got this game at first, I hooked up my Pro Controller and tried pressing ZL + ZR and was wondering why it wouldn't do anything. Looked through all the settings for a controller swap, found nothing. Then I found out it's only supported in the Battle Dojo.

No idea why it's not supported for 1P. It should be. Maybe also add GCN support w/ adapter just because why not?

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
When I got this game at first, I hooked up my Pro Controller and tried pressing ZL + ZR and was wondering why it wouldn't do anything. Looked through all the settings for a controller swap, found nothing. Then I found out it's only supported in the Battle Dojo.

No idea why it's not supported for 1P. It should be. Maybe also add GCN support w/ adapter just because why not?
I'm not sure I'd like using the cstick to aim.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus

GameCube controllers are just terrible for shooters.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Sure it should be an option, not a problem for me nowadays. It was a problem at first playing with the Gamepad for extended periods of time(my hands would get tired after a few hours) but now I feel I've gotten used to the thing and the weight. Before Splatoon I rarely used the gamepad for anything other than ZombieU/Zelda and off TV Play. In Splatoon I actually I'm kinda of growing fond of this big *** tablet-y thing, mainly due to the Gyro.

The mini map and jumps can still be performed if the Gamepad is infront of you. I don't know how controlling those without a Gamepad would work - unless you are:
A) SemiGod with a standard controller.
B) C- Scrub Tier

To me a Pro Controller seem sh*t for shooters(Splatoon is the first shooter I've played on console and the control method is probably the main reason I enjoy it). I know a lot of people that are insainly good with a controller in shooter but Gyro has won me over can't even imagine how people play this game without Gyro personally.

Anyhow this game is Gamepad-centric and was made so the future generation have strong hands, OP don't you want your children to grow up as stonk squids able to dominate the battle field with their muscles and far superior hand to eye coordination?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom