Pro or Con? - Customizable Weapons and Loadouts

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
HOLD YOUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!
My answer will actually be different this time, than it was with the previous two topics.
Just saying, before you start cursing and death wishing.

In any case, I have seen quite a few people asking for this.
The ability to customize weapons, as well as loadouts.
Meaning customizing the weapon's paint job, perhaps stats too to some extent...
... and of course, the ability to choose any Sub and Special you like.

I am actually NEUTRAL on this one.
If they were to just add that, without any adjustments, proper restrictions and requirements, my answer is definitely CON!
But if they would make some proper forework to keep it from being an OP, but still worthwhile option, I could see myself liking it.

Of course, one argument against this, other than the fear of being OP or gamebreaking, is that it would trivialize the weapon system as it is now.
Which is true.
The only way it can work, while not rendering the normal weapons useless, is to either make it an unlockable with high costs.... OR restrict custom loadouts to certain game types only, depending on how the weapon performs.
Or BOTH!

I actually have one idea in mind, but keep it in a spoiler-tag at the end.... if you even bother reading that far.
Are you even still reading this sentence? Or are you already marking me for... a terrible fate?
I know this concept enrages a lot of people. So I guess I brace myself for impact.

Customizable colors and paint-job's are good.
But that is better left for a sequel.
I can't see Nintendo making tons and tons of different color variations with our current game.

Same for altering stats.
Though honestly, I'd rather not have this option.
Unless it has a proper limit, ensuring proper balance and preventing a weapon to perform totally different (like N-Zap performing like a Jet Squelcher), let alone preventing OP-stats (like fully upgraded Hero Shot from Single Player).
Even then, I probably wouldn't use it much.
There is enough diversity in weapon-stats already, covering all needs.
So such an option would probably be useless.

There is one thing I am wondering though. And I might as well ask this question here.
Assuming we had customizable loadouts, allowing us to pick any Sub and Special we like for each main weapon...
...Would there be any OP or gamebreaking Main/Sub/Special combos?
I'd like to hear your opinions on this one as well.

Again, right now, I am NEUTRAL, slightly leaning towards CON.
But it still is an interesting topic for me.
So I couldn't help, but to open this for debate.

Anyway, let the war begin.

Oh and the concept...
- How to unlock
Of course, it needs to be an unlockable feature.
Or the normal weapons with their set Subs and Specials would be useless.

You would need to meet certain requirements in order to make a custom-set available for ONE WEAPON!
I would go with "Turf Inked". Once you gained enough points for this stat, you can make custom-sets for this weapon.
It would also give this otherwise meaningless stat a deeper meaning.

As for weapon types: It makes no difference for original or rebranded versions of one weapon.
So for example, you only need to reach the necessary of Turf-Points with either the normal Carbon Roller OR the Deco version, in order to be able to make a Customized Carbon Roller.
You are NOT required to reach the necessary amount with both of them, just one of the them.

However, it does make a difference between scoped and scopeless versions of Chargers.

- Where to go and Payment
Another thing that needs to be there, in order to give normal Weapons a meaning still.

In my concept, you would need to visit Sheldon, in order to be able to make custom-sets for weapon, once you inked enough turf with it.
You can create multiple custom-sets of the same weapon.
But there is a limited number of custom weapons you can carry.
Once you hit the maximum amount, you will have to replace weapons.

As for "cost", I would go with SUPER SEA SNAILS.
Yes, you read it right. Super Sea Snails as payment for custom weapon-sets.

Combine this with the ability to customize gear-abilities, form my previous "Pro or Con" topic and get ready for MAXIMUM SPLATFEST GRINDING!!!

How much Snails you need to give up, depends on how many things Sheldon needs to do, to please your wishes.

- Inventory
As I said earlier, you have limited space for custom weapons.
And you will need to discard weapons to create new ones, once you hit the maximum space.

There is a seperate tab for custom weapons in your weapons menu.
And you can equip them as you would normal weapons.

- Customizing options
This is up for debate.

But I would go with a custom paint-job (in style of MGS5 Weapon-customization or NFS: U2/MW), as well as "free to choose" Sub and Special.
Maybe a custom name as well. Would be cool. ;)

- Restrictions and Limits
Of course, there needs to be proper limit, to keep this from being OP.
I can't say what exactly needs to be done. It is up for debate.

Paint-job doesn't really need any limits, as it is asthetics only.
But for Subs and Specials, I can see that we might need to disallow certain Subs or Specials for certain Main Weapons, that would make a gamebreaking combo.

And I am done.

Last edited:

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
I like the idea of customize able paint jobs on the gun that would be pretty cool but as for upgrading your gun I won't want that because someone some way will make a certain weapon op, as for subs and specials I won't want subs to be customization at all you can get some really broken combos (cough cough,:pointsensor:+ e-liter, cough:disruptor: with a blaster)
specials is probley the one i would be a little leeway on because there aren't to many broken specials they all can be counteracted, but a e-liter with an inkstrike would be a nightmare to deal with because he will be hard to get to (if he's any good) and he isn't in combat so it would be really hard to punish him or stop him
so other then paint jobs (which is a YES) I don't think it would be a good idea, but if you could have the look of one clothing item and have it be another one that would be nice so I could wear what I want while having the stats I want

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Tbh, I can't see Point Sensor doing much good for the E-Liter, considering the that it is a long range weapon.
And thrown weapons are not. Plus the Regular E-Liter has the Echolocator already.

As for Disruptor with a Blaster... Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't one Blaster have it already?
Not sure.

Then again, what do I know?
I accept your opinion. : 3

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'd say no for the the idea of customizing stats for the simply fact that stat variation is partially what defines some of these weapons. If this were to be the case the stat variation would be in the negligible area thus not to go into the zone of other weapons.

As for custom looks I mean it would be a nice touch I guess. Though weapons are pretty distinct in their appearance as is and lets you take note of possible strats of your team or opponent at a glance of their set-up. Custom paint jobs may make it difficult to take note of variations of certain weapons.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
While I get the criticism, I am wondering if there even is a "Best Main/Sub/Special" loadout.
Way I see it, they are getting more and more balanced and depend only on personal playstyle.

Could you give some examples?

Aubz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
abbeylilbit
Customizing stats would be a nightmare. Everything would shoot like an aerospray D:
However, I like the idea of changing the subs/specials.
I personally think the custom weapon should be unlocked at the level cap, because the reward for level 50 now is kinda lame..
I also don't think that there could possibly be a game breaking OP weapon set. Most of the subs/specials are balanced, so any sub/special could work with any weapon.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Customizing stats is pretty redundant since a lot of weapons are already just changes in stats. Being able to change subs and supers would be gamebreaking in the same way as changing abilities on clothing, but even more so. Changing the colors of weapons should be completely fine though, as long as there's a way to distinguish between regular and alternates on the same weapon.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
Tbh, I can't see Point Sensor doing much good for the E-Liter, considering the that it is a long range weapon.
And thrown weapons are not. Plus the Regular E-Liter has the Echolocator already.

As for Disruptor with a Blaster... Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't one Blaster have it already?
Not sure.

Then again, what do I know?
I accept your opinion. : 3
I would be more talking about things like the luna blaster with a :disruptor:
I guess you are right about the eliter but things like mines could really make an eliter hard to kill
in other word i wouldn't be the one making the broken weapon sets ( i love my burst bombs to much to give them up on my e-liter) but there are people who can (ehh CoD flashbacks)
yes it would make it easier to make weapons you could have all you want but I find that working with what you have is perfect because you have to work around the weapon not the other way around

Wiebenjijzeg

Full Squid
NNID
Syrnis
Customizable subs/specs on weapons could turn out really OP, but also fun.
Imagine having a point sensor + Echlocator + Haunt (ability) all at once, would be pretty fun.
But I can see many people going for splash walls + Inkzookas/Killer wails

Personally I would love some more variety on my blasters, being able to experiment with subs + specials.

Colours would also be fun, to give it your own special touchup. But it would take away a bit of the splatoon's original feel, I guess.

I am also quite neutral about it, there are fun things about it but I can see negative aspects of it as well.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Con.

One sub that comes to mind that's been used sparingly (and with reason) is the disruptor, for instance giving it to long-ranged weapons would make them able to freeze a target in place and then safely outrange their helpless target.

Another sub that comes to mind are splat walls, giving them to long-ranged chargers would shield them from subs, zookas and enemy charger fire making them near invulnerable.

Giving brushes point sensor/disruptors/echo would also be very good, but i wouldn't mind that much since the brushers are a bit of an underdog weapon to begin with.

Using a turf inked system would only make things worse, as players who played the game more are awarded putting newer players at a statistical disadvantage. While i'd like to have more combinations for existing weapons(Picking long-range chargers gives you only a grand total of 4 kits to choose from), giving the players total customization doesn't sit well with me.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'll have to go with con. As much as I would like to be able to run my Heavy Splatling with something less ink-consuming while still retaining the Inkstrike, I'm more afraid of having to fight an E-Liter 3k with Disruptors and an Inkzooka :confused:

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
Customizing stats, loadouts and looks could lead to a lot of unpredictablity, as it is right now you can see your oponent's wepon, know what that weapon is capable of and react accordingly, customizing stats and loadouts would take away that completely, and customizing looks would make it harder to do as you could make the stickers less noticeable and weapons like jet squelcher and dual squelcher would be really hard to tell apart in the heat of battle.

Now, is unpredictability bad or good? I don't know but I like how the game is now so I'd rather not risk it.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I still don't see how changing gear-abilities is gamebreaking.
Some people... -_-

Anyway, I don't see the argument of Disruptors or Splash Walls for Chargers as viable.
With an E-Liter you would operating outside the range of your Sub Weapon anyways.
I guess up closer it would be an issue.
But the regular E-Liter has Burst Bombs already, that can demolish players at close range.
I have already seen many people complaining about that one.
So I guess Disruptors won't be much worse. Even more so considering the Ink-Cost of Disruptors.
You probably won't have enough Ink for a fully charged shot to finish off your opponent.

As for Splash Walls: Well the Heavy Splatling has it already, which has the range of a Charger.
Plus the Wall was nerfed recently.

While I get the fear of it being OP, I have yet to see good examples on which combinations would be truly OP.
I have seen a few that could be considered mean. But mean does not equal OP.

As for the concept of Turf Inked putting people at a tactical disadvantage...
Do you think playing with random people, with all sorts of levels is much better?
People with higher levels always have the advantage, since they have more weapons to choose from.
So this wouldn't be much worse, if you ask me.

I do get the criticism against this.
Personally, I am against changing stats as well, if you bothered to read my original post.

Changing paint-jobs however, I can't see doing any harm.
You may no longer be able to tell them apart by color, but you would certainly be able to tell them apart by form.

Jet Squelchers and Dual Squelchers are easily told apart, by the amount of nozzles they have.
The normal Squelcher has only one, the Dual one, as the name suggests, has two.

The difference between the 52. and the 96. Gal is the length of the nozzle.
Same with the L and H-3 Nuzzlenose.

Just take a closer look on the form and size of the weapon and you should easily be able to tell them apart.

As I said, free to choose Subs and Specials I can see being dangerous.
But I have yet to actually see the danger.
Subs and Specials get more and more balanced with each balance patch.

If you asked me a few months ago, by answer to customizable Subs and Specials would've been "No" as well.
But as they get more and more balanced, I can see it more and more viable, with proper restrictions and costs.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
As for Splash Walls: Well the Heavy Splatling has it already, which has the range of a Charger.
Plus the Wall was nerfed recently.
Heavy Splatlings have pretty bad accuracy, though. I tend to struggle hitting enemies right next to me because nearly half of my shots miss their mark, nevermind at max range. That said, I pretty much never use the Splash Wall since pretty much no one aside of chargers can hit me (and I can only reliably fire one full barrage after tossing one), and I'm still waiting for someone to confirm if the E-Liter 3k Scoped can take out a Splash Wall in one hit or I was just seeing stuff :confused:

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Hmm, good point.

But still, since Splash Walls have been nerfed, I see no harm in giving some to Chargers.
And consider how much Ink those Subs use up.

You need a fully charged shot now to one-shot your opponents.
So either Splash Walls or Disruptors probabl won't leave you with enough ink for a fully charged shot.

So Disruptors won't do you much good with a Charger, if you don't have enough ink to finish the job.
The only thing I can see working, is at close-range: Disrupt your opponent then finish him with a couple uncharged shots.
But this is nothing a couple Burst Bombs can't pull off as well.

I dunno how long a Disruptor-effect lasts.
So if it turns out you can recharge enough ink and charge up in time for a one-shot, before the Disrupter-effect wears off, they might have to decrease the amount of time the effect lasts, for this to work.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I still don't see how changing gear-abilities is gamebreaking.
Some people... -_-
This concept is gamebreaking because in order for it to be balanced, every single possible sub and super would have to be balanced to each other, as well as balanced with every possible main weapon. This isn't the case now, and I don't believe it ever will, or should be the case. Weapon loadouts are static because that's how the game is balanced, and it currently is balanced. Why would I give up a balanced, competitive strategy for options that are overpowered or useless?

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Hey guys, here is a way to balance this:

1. As for customizing weapon loadouts: This can be implemented and balanced fairly well actually. What would first happen is that they could release third variations to every weapon (In essence give them all a new sub special combo to work with). Then what you could do is choose a sub weapon from either 3 variations and a special weapon as well. This will give the user sub special combos that could be somewhat desirable without being to broken. All opponents would have to do would is guess through elimination as to what they have (only 9 possible combos could exist for any one weapon).
  2. In example the subs for the Jet Squelcher could be Splash Wall, Burst Bombs, and Point Sensor. For the specials Inkstrike, Kraken, or even Killer Wail.
  3. As for weapon skins, they could be perfectly fine if they are not too out-landish to the point I can hardly recognize the weapons from a distance. Maybe not so much the colors of the weapons that may change, but the textures of it.
  4. Stat changing is a big NO. The reason I say this is because changing the stats of a weapon to something too different basically changed what the weapon was. Not even slight stat changes. If this is allowed it should only be tied to Gear Abilities.
  5. Speaking of Gear abilities, I would be happy to allow the changing of the sub abilities. I actually thought about having the cafe in Inkopollis be the place where you can legally change the abilities on your gear. These changes however would only be temporary and would last for only 8 or 12 hours (this is to not make it so that Spike becomes irrelevant in getting the gear you want).

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
Heavy Splatlings have pretty bad accuracy, though. I tend to struggle hitting enemies right next to me because nearly half of my shots miss their mark, nevermind at max range. That said, I pretty much never use the Splash Wall since pretty much no one aside of chargers can hit me (and I can only reliably fire one full barrage after tossing one), and I'm still waiting for someone to confirm if the E-Liter 3k Scoped can take out a Splash Wall in one hit or I was just seeing stuff :confused:
the e-liter can't one shot the splat wall (it would be nice though) we do a number on it but it takes at least two shots to put it down then we have to recharge or take the third shot and pay we hit or we are sitting ducks for a bit

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Hey guys, here is a way to balance this:

1. As for customizing weapon loadouts: This can be implemented and balanced fairly well actually. What would first happen is that they could release third variations to every weapon (In essence give them all a new sub special combo to work with). Then what you could do is choose a sub weapon from either 3 variations and a special weapon as well. This will give the user sub special combos that could be somewhat desirable without being to broken. All opponents would have to do would is guess through elimination as to what they have (only 9 possible combos could exist for any one weapon).
  2. In example the subs for the Jet Squelcher could be Splash Wall, Burst Bombs, and Point Sensor. For the specials Inkstrike, Kraken, or even Killer Wail.
I'm not understanding you. How does releasing more options make the options that already exist more balanced? And allowing players to choose their own combos will just lead to choosing combos that potentially negate any weaknesses the weapon had, making it OP and homogenizing the choice of weapons.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
the e-liter can't one shot the splat wall (it would be nice though) we do a number on it but it takes at least two shots to put it down then we have to recharge or take the third shot and pay we hit or we are sitting ducks for a bit
Maybe the guy was running full Damage Ups >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom