Probably way off but... (single-player-length estimate)

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
I saw a Gamexplain analysis where they pointed out some stuff I missed the first time around. Namely that there are multiple zap-fish per level (at least 3) based on a little text-blurb that appeared in the Direct, and another clip from it that seemed to confirms that 27 levels minimum (as we kinda already knew based off Amiibo trials) however now I think we can assume this is the maximum level.

This got me to thinking. I've heard people say its 5-10 minutes per level, but given that each level has multiple zap-fish I can't help wondering if its more '5-10' minutes per mission.

Thus we have 8 mins, by 3 missions, by 27 levels.

I believe I may be over-estimating length a little but underestimating the total number of zap-fish by more. However working with the calculation I have at the moment I believe the single-player may be ten hours fifty minutes.

HOWEVER this being a Nintendo game I can't help but think that if the number of missions per stage is more in line with Super Mario 64, or Super Mario Sunshine that estimate sky rockets. We all know how those systems worked, and the fact it has a hub-world makes it probably this is the same.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
Reminds me when they thought they could guess how many levels there are by the miiverse stamps in super mario 3d world, I'm taking 27 levels as a minimum, not the maximum

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
Reminds me when they thought they could guess how many levels there are by the miiverse stamps in super mario 3d world, I'm taking 27 levels as a minimum, not the maximum
Actually I'm the one guessing 27 may be a maximum. They're pretty open on this issue. Mostly because they're distracted by Nintendoland.

My reasoning comes back to the fact the number is re-occurring. It made more sense as a minimum before I saw it come up again.

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
There's 28. In the direct one part shows 28 collectibles, 1 per level.

thefro

Full Squid
I'm expecting the campaign to be 3-4 hrs and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's any longer than that.

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
There's 28. In the direct one part shows 28 collectibles, 1 per level.
The last icon was weird, as GameXplain said it could be a page flip or a bonus unlockable for getting all the rest... The fact the Amiibo list only went up to '27' influences me to think they may be right about it being a bonus unlockable or something else.

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
I'm expecting the campaign to be 3-4 hrs and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's any longer than that.
I hope people won't mind the double post but I'd like to know why you think so...

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
The campaign will likely take no more than 3 hours... just my estimate. The levels are short and relatively easy.
Do you have a basis for this? Have you played them?

From what I've heard of it, 5-10 mins isn't uncommon per level but I've not had the pleasure of seeing a full one played through. Also, we seem to be looking at seemingly (at least) 3 x 27/28 missions which would mean at least 81/84 missions.

BOOXMOWO

Inkling
I don't think there are multiple Zapfish per level. It was confirmed in a Game Informer video (skip to around 4:10) that the levels come in batches, and you unlock new areas in the Octo Valley hub after beating enough stages. I think "Save 3 more Zapfish" refers to that.

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
I don't think there are multiple Zapfish per level. It was confirmed in a Game Informer video (skip to around 4:10) that the levels come in batches, and you unlock new areas in the Octo Valley hub after beating enough stages. I think "Save 3 more Zapfish" refers to that.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I guess it was confirmation bias, since I'd kinda wanted it to play out the way I suggest since I first heard it'd have a hub-world.

toadee

Inkling
I see Splatoon as being a Multiplayer based game, so a short story mode isn't the worst. I think the story mode is going to be used as a way to teach players the basics of the game mechanics/controls, while still being fun and engaging.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I see Splatoon as being a Multiplayer based game, so a short story mode isn't the worst. I think the story mode is going to be used as a way to teach players the basics of the game mechanics/controls, while still being fun and engaging.
The fact it is a multi player oriented game (which it is) doesn't justify the game having a gimped down single-player mode. That being said, I think the SP content will be fairly meaty in Splatoon. I am expecting the "single player" length to be around ~4 hours, which is good enough.

Burnsy

Inkling
NNID
BurnsyPM
I'm strongly considering speedrunning this game's single player, haha. It looks really fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom