• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Proper strafing / sidestepping

Phobos

Inkling Commander
One thing that I've had trouble adjusting to in this game (coming from a PC FPS background using mouse + keyboard) is that using the left stick to sidestep or strafe results in your taking a circular path rather than a straight one. This makes circle strafing tricky for me, and - since my reflexes have not really adjusted to it - it leaves me moving suboptimally in firefights. Anyway, I've found that if Y is permanently held down then you'll sidestep properly in a straight line - I've put a blob of blu-tack over the Y button and then a rubber band around the gamepad and over the blob to apply a little pressure, and this works perfectly. I'm not sure if this confers any intrinsic advantage/disadvantage, but either way movement is much more natural for me now (just make sure you have the gamepad in the right position whenever you spawn, or the camera will be out of whack).

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
That's a good tip actually. Have you tried using a file to file down the directions?

Espyo

Inkling
This doesn't feel like much of a problem for me, as when you're shooting, you're moving pretty slowly. You don't really get the chance to circle around the opponent for more than 45 degrees. To each their own, I guess, but you DO lose the advantage of comfort, if you're using the motion controls (Y puts the camera in a "comfy" position). Oh, some people also use Y after turning around around with the analog stick in order to instantly turn the camera around, so you're missing out on that too.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I find it fairly easy to just shoot and strafe when I need to strafe, that way you still cover ink although you do move a bit slow.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Oh, some people also use Y after turning around around with the analog stick in order to instantly turn the camera around, so you're missing out on that too.
That's a good point - I can see the advantage of the quick 180 turn outweighing the advantage of (for me) more natural movement. Hmmm...

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
While shooting, the camera does not auto rotate in the direction you're moving in. However, if you press Y while moving in a direction and while shooting, your view will snap into the direction you're moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom