• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Question about alts...

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Okay, so... I'm fine in turf wars. But once I reached rank S for the third time (which was also the first time I was rank S at level 50), I stopped playing ranked. That was a little over three months ago. I've been a few squads and realized that I had seriously lost a lot of my skill. Should I make an alt account and start ranked as a C- again? I know it will effect the poor players who truly are rank C-, but I feel like I need to start from the beginning to see where I'm at instead of trying to battle in squads with other rank S players. Is this okay? Have any of you done this before?

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I mean I don't see why not. I made an alt account recently as an "R&D" sort of situation. Meaning I use it to test out new weapons, plus I've been practicing Splat Zones as well. SZ was my worst game mode, to the point where I refused to play, but my friends have noticed that I'm pretty decent at it now. So if you're looking to practice/re-sharpen your skills, I say go for it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I've made an alt for similar purposes to SyMag, particularly in order to learn skills via difficult weapons (chargers, L-3s) and in order to pick up new weapons which I believe match my play-style but which I just need to wear myself into. Yes, it felt really mean to burn through C- with records of around 25-3, but I don't feel like, at that rank, most players are too worried about a foregone loss causing them to drop some rank points. Still, it definitely sucks to go into a game only to get brutally beaten back for up to 5 minutes, so, like, you'll break eggs for this omelette. Two things can make the journey up through the lowest ranks more, ehm, ethical: A) always leave the lobby, and B) use a weapon with which you have absolutely no clue (H-3, probably?).

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Youll rank up to whereever your skill level dictates naturally and pretty quickly

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Yeah like others have said, the speed at which you should rank up will be a blip on the radar for other players working through those ranks.

If you're really concerned, you can scale back the action a little bit. Tilt the games in your favor when you need to. Then it will probably be less obvious that you're way outclassing them.

But yeah, the kids will be fine. Alts are great for brushing up your skills, and once you're in A again you won't have to worry about being a bully so much (you'll be there in no time if you're committed to. I like to keep my alt in B because like others I mess around with weapons I'm terrible with a lot)

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I was in a pretty similar situation to the OP back in January, and I made an alt to get the practice in, and it was on this account I first got to S+ and became my main account. Now I have 3 or 4 accounts at S+, and I want to start speed running C- to S+ for fun, and my last attempt I lost less than 10 games from C- to S+, so you are really not significant to most players.

I think it is good, and I am partially doing this to see the common habits and issues in the different ranks, since this summer I would like to do some streams where I help people get to S+, or just any higher rank, who want to, but can't seem to. Where we twin, and point out their issues, and then check in with them after, to see if they are ranking up.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
this summer I would like to do some streams where I help people get to S+, or just any higher rank, who want to, but can't seem to. Where we twin, and point out their issues, and then check in with them after, to see if they are ranking up.
This is actually a really cool idea, and if I had a computer to watch the stream I'd gladly sign up for this!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Personally, I'd enjoy some useful advice in my play but I'll settle for finding your stream @Skoodge

And I may be stamped A- at the moment but a few splatfests ago I did make an alt I toy around with a few times. It's a nice release valve for me after dealing with rank mode on my main account. Currently the alt is wearing only the starting gear (upgraded to three sub slots) and using only the four--soon five--nozzlenoses.

It's been amusing, sometimes a blast. Sped into high B+ then plummeted to B during a Rainmaker rotation where I lost every match with -15, -14 and -12 point deductions...

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Thank you guys. I wasn't sure if people looked down on this sort of thing because of the lower ranks, but it seems like having an alt is just a normal thing for a lot of you and I guess I'd get out of the lower ranks pretty quickly, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I made an alt for playing solo queue when I'm not feeling like stressing over solo queue but also not trying to play Turf War. It's nice to have.

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
i have two alts, one i learned chargers with and even the C ranks were fairly difficult [i jumped into ranked as soon as i could, but my charger skills were... that of a level 10] so it took me time to level up. now it's A+ and i play that still to see just how high i can get in ranked with chargers only, plus all my gear is specifically suited to my splatterscope and kelp scop, which is nice [and i don't have to remember to change the sensitivity].

i started another alt a few weeks ago to learn rainmaker [i realized too late that i should've learned it before i got to S] and yeah, i tore through the C ranks just because, even though i don't have a clue about rainmaker, i know how to use my weapons of choice [those poor inklings once i unlocked the octobrush...]. i switch off to unfamiliar weapons about half my time but i still got to A- fairly easily, my account isn't even level 20 yet. now i'm going to use it to continue rainmaker, but also learn weapons i just can't get a grasp on while going up against other level 50/S players. which means going through story mode a third time to unlock the dynamo...

i'm sure there's someone somewhere who looks down on alts but i don't think it's a big deal. mine have honestly helped me be a better player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom