• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Question on Weapons

WM43

Inkling
So, I have a question on weapons. Basically, I prefer to use the normal shooting type weapons (like the splattershot or duelies) with Burst Bombs. However, in Splatoon 2, this is harder. Only the first splattershot which is just okay, and a certain kind of duelies, which has a pretty bad special, have burst bombs and are normal shooting type weapons from what I've noticed. So basically, what I'm wondering is: which one of these options is better? Or, alternatively, is there anything else really similar to this that still has a good special?

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
Are you referring to Tenta Missiles? Because it's definitely not a bad special. To answer your question though, Splash Neo has Suction Bomb Launcher and is good for front-lining which is similar to Splattershot while Jet Squelcher has Sting Ray and it's good if you prefer to stay behind and defend.

Splattershot and vSplat Dualies are both viable as is so it all just comes down to preference.

Reactions: the

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splattershot is far from being "just okay", to be fair. It is a solid weapon.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't know how new you are to S2, but there are actually a couple of shooters or shooter-like weapons with Burst Bomb. Besides the Splattershot and the Splat Dualies, there's the Splash-o-matic, the Mini Splatling, the L-3, the and the Jet Squelcher which are all shooters or related classes. Basically just take a look at Inkipedia or something for a list of all weapons.

But it all depends on what you prefer or are good with. So, there's really no answer possible to your question. You should always try every weapon out for yourself. That's the only way to find out if it's good for you. I would also try to go out of your comfort zone and try different kind of weapons. Limiting yourself to only Shooter + Burst bomb means missing out on most weapons. Always give weapons a try even if it's from a class you don't like.

And the Tenta Missles definitely aren't bad. I can see why they feel underwhelming, but they can be very useful.
There is also an amibbo restricted weapon
There are no amiibo-exclusive weapons. There are, in fact, no amiibo weapons at all. In S1 you had a few, but those weren't amiibo-only, as they were just skins for other weapons.

WM43

Inkling
Okay thanks for the help guys, I'll try to see if the other guns work.

As for the tenta missiles, they're great in octo valley from what I've noticed, but I can't get them to do anything good in the online modes. Either I use them and get splatted immediatly, I use them and they never shoot even though enemies are nearby, or both.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
As for the tenta missiles, they're great in octo valley from what I've noticed, but I can't get them to do anything good in the online modes. Either I use them and get splatted immediatly, I use them and they never shoot even though enemies are nearby, or both.
Don't use Tenta Missiles while in the middle of battle, that's just poor decision making.

If you plan to use Tenta Missiles, you should always retreat to a safe position, either away from the battle, or at least out of the reach of any apparent enemies. One of the more recent updates actually allows you to go into squid form before firing it, if you must, take advantage of that.

Get as many enemies into the recital, swim to a better position if you must, then fire. While Tenta Missiles is definitely not a weapon that kills consistently, it does provide invaluable pressure onto the enemy. Also do not underestimate how valuable the fact it keeps track of all the opponents you've targeted for the entire duration. Or just fire if and hope is splats some poor unsuspecting soul.

I've gotten many assists with the Tenta Missiles, that and pursuing somebody targeted makes for easier prey. You see their position and the missiles provide additional cover fire and chip damage.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Hero_Shot_Replica

The wiki could be wrong but I personally won't know until I finish the single player campaign. I'll work on that after the Mario Tennis event.
The Hero Shot Replica was an amiibo exclusive weapon, in Splatoon 1.

This is not the case for Splatoon 2. In Splatoon 2, the weapon is unlocked for purchase after you've completely every level in Octo Canyon with the Hero Shot.

But that aside, the weapon is 100% identical to the normal Splattershot in every way except for appearance, it's just a reskin. This is true for both Splatoon 1 and 2.

mutantmagnet

Inkster Jr.
The Hero Shot Replica was an amiibo exclusive weapon, in Splatoon 1.

This is not the case for Splatoon 2. In Splatoon 2, the weapon is unlocked for purchase after you've completely every level in Octo Canyon with the Hero Shot.

But that aside, the weapon is 100% identical to the normal Splattershot in every way except for appearance, it's just a reskin. This is true for both Splatoon 1 and 2.
Thanks for the clarification on the sequel differences though keep in mind the hero shot has a different from splatter shot.

It is like a the overlapping venn diagram of splattershot and splattershot pro.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@mutantmagnet, the Splattershot Pro has nothing to do with the Hero Shot Replica.
The Hero Shot Replica = Splattershot. That is the case in both Splatoon games.
They always shoot. If you target people and you press the fire button, they shoot.

It's a special that's used for support more than anything else. If you manage to target 3 or even all 4 of your opponents in the heat of the battle, it'll surely do something good. Hell, you CAN even use it in a one-on-one duel if you manage to put enough distance between you and your opponent. It'll harass the opponent a bit so that you can have an easier time finishing them off. If you manage to target 2 or 3 people who are clustered together, more often than not you get a kill, and if not, at least an assist.

You just got to have a feeling for it. Which is just a matter of trying out the special in different situations. Also, try thinking of moments when opponents' Tenta Missles were annoying to you and use similar strategies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom