Rainmaker stratagy

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
I was wondering how everyone goes about Rainmaker. For me, if the shield is broken, it's free game. I'd rather grab it and get just a little closer than to let it sit and let the other team get it. I also try to puddle jump to get as close as I can even if I'm under fire. I've noticed some of my teammates like to pop the shield and then wait until the path is completely clear to either get the rainmaker or try to push forward. I understand you can't run forward if you have absolutely no path. It just seems like some people prefer to different methods.

I just played a very frustrating game where the other team was very close to winning and we were able to kill them all and pop the shield but in the process 2 of my team also died. One person was inexplicably on the other side of the map and the remaining person grabbed the rainmaker then proceeded to push "C'mon" and stand there. I rushed to them and started inking a path. I get to high ground and I turn around and they are still in that same area. At this point the counter on the rainmaker says 28. Not long after she got splatted and the rainmaker was right next to our base so the other team was able to rush in and win.

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
I play it on a case to case basis. If I think I can, I'll try to get the rainmaker closer by even just 10 points near the beginning. It really helps, and allows me and my team to ink up a good defensive ink barrier.

It really depends on what my other team members are doing. I have to play their game, which can be polarizing at times. I never like to have the rain maker in my hand. I much prefer protecting the rainmaker holder. Popping the shield can leave you without a lot of ink. It also makes your position obvious. I inked a lot of squids because their only option after popping the shield was to retreat.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I usually run my "sonic" gear on RM so I can effectively run the RM. If there is one other competent person who can ink a path then I will grab it and we'll do ok. I will also do my best to ink a path if I don't have it, but you never know if your team-mates will follow you.

Also, I try to pop the shield, then kill one or two of the enemies before picking it up, that way we can push it a bit better. If you wait to break the shield until after you kill the enemies then you waste precious time breaking the shield.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I prefer to ink paths rather than grab the rainmaker, since most of the time others will not bother inking different/alternate paths for the squid with the rainmaker.

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
I usually run my "sonic" gear on RM so I can effectively run the RM. If there is one other competent person who can ink a path then I will grab it and we'll do ok. I will also do my best to ink a path if I don't have it, but you never know if your team-mates will follow you.

Also, I try to pop the shield, then kill one or two of the enemies before picking it up, that way we can push it a bit better. If you wait to break the shield until after you kill the enemies then you waste precious time breaking the shield.
This is true. I guess the main thing is you can't stand still with the rainmaker. You are literally the target of everyone in the battle. Your best chances are to keep moving, even if you have to go it alone.

AUCanuck

Inkling
I'll start this by saying that rainmaker is my favorite mode by far.

At the beginning of matches, I tend to ink alternate paths/go for kills and leave the rainmaker alone. If you can get a couple quick kills while your teammates are popping the shield you can get a good initial push and have some defensive options

Further into the match, I'll help pop the shield but I rarely pick up the rainmaker - unless of course my team is doing something incredibly dumb and I feel I have the best chance to advance for victory or run the clock out for victory. One of my favorite moves on warehouse if we are leading in the final minute is to take the rainmaker to the right under the ledge/behind the wall and just sit and run the clock out. It's incredibly difficult for a team to get it out of there if they are able to splat you at all.

I think the biggest thing that i see that drives me nuts are teams that try to jam the rainmaker up the same path for 5 minutes straight. The real key to the game is having alternate paths available and keeping your opponents guessing as to which way you go. At port mackerel, i've seen the rainmaker right at our base, defended, then taken back toward the spawn and up the side and back to the middle instead of trying to force it back up the same hallway it just came down. You can't do that if you don't have alternate paths painted because the enemies can see you on the radar. As long as you are swimming in your own color it makes it a bit more of a guessing game as to where you are. Every map has 2 or 3 distinct routes you can take. If you're carrying, sometimes you don't necessarily want to follow your teammates right back into where the enemy is waiting for you.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Get a lot of damage on the RM without breaking it. Then when it's safe for you to proceed you can just tap it once and go, or if you get wiped they have to undo your damage before breaking it, which gives you plenty of time to respawn. This is especially effective when the game's almost over and you're in the lead.

mimasho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mimasho
At the start of the match, I always ink the route that they enemy will go (if they have the RM), because my other teammates usually run right for it xD
I'll only break the shield if the other team's down and it's more in our favor; otherwise I'll set a mine and ninja squid, so I can wait for the rainmaker holder to step right into the trap lol * U * If both sides are inking, I'll just swim around the knock out the opposing members, they're usually so concentrated on what's in front of them, they don't always notice. If I'm not using the luna blaster, I'll throw a bomb on their side of the rainmaker, which is also pretty effective (bomb has to be intact though).

If I break the shield though, I'll always inkzooka the surroundings and let my teammates take it while I clear the path...
and it no one takes it, I'll just grab it and make a run for it; swim speed up + ink resistance mixed with a combination of jumps can get me pretty far even in enemy ink ~

But yeah, if the opposing team breaks the shield and there's no one nearby, I'll always grab it.
I feel like a lot of players that I've played against think they can't do this ?? because I haven't met anyone who's tried it before, even though it's perfectly safe lol.
I've had more than a few matches where they shield's broken but both team's just focused on shooting each other and no one wants to touch the rainmaker -___-

MarioFan

Inkling
NNID
BCamren
I would recommend a weapon with high fire rate and seekers. Also, try to have an Inkzooka special for dem snipers
Use a seeker or 2 to get to the rainmaker
Shoot away the barrier; use the seekers at the others
Get a Inkzooka ready and use seekers to deter opponents
Use the inkzooka on the snipers, then on the others
Guide your ally to the tower

SafetyPoncho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SafetyPoncho
I have the most trouble with RM mode so I appreciate this thread, lol. Personally I feel synergy on a random team is the hardest to get on this mode.

I like rushing for RM, but just to pick off the opposing while they try to pop the shield. I never take the RM if I don't have too, but if I do I wait til I at least have one other person with me. Maybe that's my problem tho, cause in TC I love being on the tower, I like jumping off and getting back on and iunno, I'm just more comfortable. If its RM and maps I don't do so well on, I won't play unless I can have like communication with team members.

NaniwaLion

Inkling
NNID
TCandGL
Wrote a guide on this.

http://squidboards.com/guides/rainmaker-chaos-guide.143/

If you are smart enough to read this you should probably grab RM and run for it.
I agree with this. I like your guide, too. The hardest part about ranked RM for me is that there is just no communication and a lack of understanding the flow of the match. It's frustrating when you have the RM and your three partners are trying to pick off enemies instead of clearing a path or covering you. I always like to just bust the RM open and take it before anyone else can, so I can at least start to make a path. And if I die in the process, hopefully one of my teammates is smart enough to follow my trail and do the same thing.

So just take it and run. If you have a team that's thinking, you can win in literally seconds. I've done it plenty of times. If they're incompetent, you're in for five minutes of shouting at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom