• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Rainmaker: Two possible issues

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I think it's pretty clear the stages so far haven't been made with rainmaker in mind. Hopefully future stages will be.
Kelp Dome actually feels like it was made for rainmaker. There are three ways you can take with the RM and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Same for Moray Towers, there are two main pathways and the path is not too short either.

Other maps are outright bs in RM, that's true.

Njok

Bouncer
You can't camp for 4 minutes on Saltspray because the thing blows up after holding it for a minute. You also can't take it back to your zone because it will give a warning not to retreat. Not sure what happens if you do it anyway, but i would imagine it blows up sooner.

I do agree with Blackbelly being a weird map for it. I think all matches i played there were decided by a knockout. The distance is just to short. Maybe they should make you get to a checkpoint first or something.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
You can't camp for 4 minutes on Saltspray because the thing blows up after holding it for a minute. You also can't take it back to your zone because it will give a warning not to retreat. Not sure what happens if you do it anyway, but i would imagine it blows up sooner.

I do agree with Blackbelly being a weird map for it. I think all matches i played there were decided by a knockout. The distance is just to short. Maybe they should make you get to a checkpoint first or something.
Well you stand away from the guy with rainmaker and when it explodes one of your teammates can grab it and the dead guy can now super jump and you have another minute to camp out. Rinse and repeat and you win.

Blackbelly is too short though. They should put up a barrier of two to force a longer path.

Njok

Bouncer
Well you stand away from the guy with rainmaker and when it explodes one of your teammates can grab it and the dead guy can now super jump and you have another minute to camp out. Rinse and repeat and you win.

Blackbelly is too short though. They should put up a barrier of two to force a longer path.
That still gives an opportunity for a 4 vs 3 situation if your opponent isn't really stupid. I would think a decent opponent is gonna take take over at that point. Haven't seen it happen yet though so maybe you are right.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Why does the Rainmaker marker dissapear from my screen and my map at times? I'll be distracted in a gunfight and the Rainmaker is already on the grate walk to our mount...

LuNeTakaneko

Inkling
NNID
LuNeTakaneko
If you look in the direction of where the rainmaker carrier is (also through walls and such), then you'll see it on the HUD and the map. It really looks easily trackable but you can get distracted by their teammates defending them.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
@Njok On saltspray, when you have the lead you keep it in the big area. Make sure to let an opponent take you out. then make sure your teammates are ready to remove the other team. Then just play defense. Don't even grab the rainmaker at all.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
If you look in the direction of where the rainmaker carrier is (also through walls and such), then you'll see it on the HUD and the map. It really looks easily trackable but you can get distracted by their teammates defending them.
But for whatever reason it disappears for a few seconds when looking at the map, I saw it with my own eyes.

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
The camping for four minute thing... i haven't seen yet. However i have seen rainmaker camping during the last 40 seconds to minute. It does suck being on the opposing team to that.

LuNeTakaneko

Inkling
NNID
LuNeTakaneko
Rainmaker carrier moved to an area that isn't in the direction that your inkling isn't looking at, just turning the camera to where the person is would "fix" it.

It's a weird system though.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
But for whatever reason it disappears for a few seconds when looking at the map, I saw it with my own eyes.
That's because they are in their own ink. This is for every player in every mode, you are only shown to your opponents if you are in their ink. However the rainmaker can always be seen wherever it is on the TV, no matter who has it, if they're in squid mode, etc.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
That's because they are in their own ink. This is for every player in every mode, you are only shown to your opponents if you are in their ink. However the rainmaker can always be seen wherever it is on the TV, no matter who has it, if they're in squid mode, etc.
The marker isn't always present on screen, I guess because you're close enough to see the shine but there's a wall so you actually can't see it and it slips by you (me, anyway).

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
This is where Nintendo's drip-feeding policy bites them in the butt, since we haven't player-tested Rainmaker until recently, the current maps haven't been optimized for Rainmaker, like other users have said, I only really enjoyed it on Dome and Towers.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Kelp Dome actually feels like it was made for rainmaker. There are three ways you can take with the RM and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Same for Moray Towers, there are two main pathways and the path is not too short either.

Other maps are outright bs in RM, that's true.
I agree on Moray certainly, but being released relatively close to rainmaker, it's likely they had it in mind.
Kelp Dome is nice but I think it's more so just by chance that it wound up like that.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Skatepark is actually pretty bad in Rainmaker. You can literally win the game in the first 30 seconds here if your team manages to get more kills than the other in the first encounter. Nintendo needs to block this path right through the center here asap.
I think that strategies like this make rainmaker really good and deep. Although kills aren't the objective, they're very important so you have to really careful at all times. The importance of kills will lead to certain strategies, executions, etc. that we see in games like CS:GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom