• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Random werid theory of the day: Does Splatoon use the Mario Kart 8 Engine?

Why do I think this? Well, I don't think Splatoon would be able to create such a new engine, in the short and constantly changing development cycle that it probably use a previous engine that as been or created for HD. And, since EAD 2 lives around EAD 1, EAD 2 could've possibly ask them to reuse there engine for Splatoon. And the reason why his theory sparked in my mind is when I was watching Mario Kart 8 footage, and notice how the trees, looked strikingly like the ones from Splatoon.

Again this is my little short little dumb theory, what do you think is Splatoon's engine?

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
What do you mean by engine? Physics engine? Game engine? Graphics engine?

My guess is that physics and game engines are programmed from scratch, back from when it was tofu wars. Graphics engine I'm sure they share across several games and just modify it to fit the particular game.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I can say this: They use similar fonts for supplementary onscreen text.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Well, both games are from Nintendo. It's not unlikely that they use a global grafics engine/environment for all of their dev teams.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Well, both games are from Nintendo. It's not unlikely that they use a global grafics engine/environment for all of their dev teams.
I'm sure they have a bunch of games that share engines, but Splatoon and MK8 look nothing like each other. MK8 has bloom, soft shadows, nice anti-aliasing and other stuff to make everything look really pretty. Splatoon's art direction is great, but they had to do without a lot of that fancy stuff (I assume) to get the ink looking right.

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
I'm sure they have a bunch of games that share engines, but Splatoon and MK8 look nothing like each other. MK8 has bloom, soft shadows, nice anti-aliasing and other stuff to make everything look really pretty. Splatoon's art direction is great, but they had to do without a lot of that fancy stuff (I assume) to get the ink looking right.
The lighting on flounder heights is amazing. You can notice new details on this map such as the shadow of dynamo rollers flinging ink at you from the top, or the little swim marks in the ink. I hope more maps have this lighting

Ramble_On_Rose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Ramble_On_Rose
i feel like Nintendo tends to share images throughout all games... the mechanics are kind of like animal crossing, but the sea snails kind of look like the mushrooms in Mario and the trees look just like they do in Mario Kart, as well as other games. Nintendo games all have a "Nintendo look"

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
i feel like Nintendo tends to share images throughout all games... the mechanics are kind of like animal crossing, but the sea snails kind of look like the mushrooms in Mario and the trees look just like they do in Mario Kart, as well as other games. Nintendo games all have a "Nintendo look"
You missed a big one, Inkling squids look like Bloopers

I thought Splatoon was 1080p, MK 8 is only 720

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Well, they didn't hire the same team as AC so much as recycled it...I don't think Big N does the CoD thing where they fire the team after the game is done and hire a brand new one for the next one

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, they didn't hire the same team as AC so much as recycled it...I don't think Big N does the CoD thing where they fire the team after the game is done and hire a brand new one for the next one
Yeah, Nintendo EAD doesn't do as much of the 'Hollywood production' style of game making where you contract people for a single project and then fire them after it is finished. Their second parties and localizing team does a bit of that every now and then or just hires freelancers, but their EAD office usually doesn't.

I don't think it is the same engine since they have showed us the original build when they first got the idea for spraying ink and they are very different games. They do probably share knowledge and assets/shaders/etc. here and there- HD game development was a hurdle for them at first so it makes sense that they wouldn't force each team to try and learn the same basic techniques.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Sometimes though, when a freelancer does a particularly good job, they add them to the Nintendo Treehouse. That's how Nate Bihldorff got in; he was previously a freelancer (and a professional snowboarder), but his work in Paper Mario was so exemplary that NOA hired hm to do text-writing for Mario games. It's spread to, well, pretty much everything else. You can see his signature style in Ghirahim's dialogue in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom