Randomized Weapons Tournament?

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Hello people, my name is Silver and I'm from the team SpeedRunsLive.

Earlier today while playing a match in the recent Rainmaker only tournament me and my teammates were talking about funny tournament ideas and we thought of a tournament where people would have a weapon chosen for them and all teams would have to use weapons randomly chosen for them to use. We all agreed that it would be a cool idea for a tournament. So I am here to see if there would be any interest in doing such a tournament. I already have a Python script made by my friend Angrevol that randomly selects 4 weapons from the game and assigns them to players so that part is already done

Script example:

Extra details about the tournament haven't been discussed yet but e'll go over those if there's enough interest in this.

So let me know, would you guys be interested in a fun tournament that does this? Thanks for reading

Edit: This tournament would purely be for fun with no money prize or anything involved. Some people may be turned off by the lack of a prize but having a prize would only cause problems.

Last edited:

Ultramus

Pro Squid
I would definitely enjoy this, and had thought about/brought it up to my team with similar thoughts. I initially just thought a long series showmatch between two teams would be a pretty fun experiment. Like bo11 or something like that, with completely random weapons each game. See which team was the most versatile.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Fun but what will probably happen is one team will just get a better set of weapons and win mostly due to that. But maybe that's part of the joy of it. Assigning new weapons to teams every round, if you decide to go that direction, would be a huge pain in the butt (you and your TO team would have to do it to prevent lying).

There's another tournament that assigns you to team weapon where the whole team uses that one weapon. You don't get to pick. Go give that a try and see how that turns out. That'll give you an idea if something similar to it, like this, would work out. Signups are Here. It's run by the messtival team so it'll probably be a good event even if the rules aren't that fun in the end, but they do look fun.

You should also signup for SCL since that's my tournament.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Fun but what will probably happen is one team will just get a better set of weapons and win mostly due to that. But maybe that's part of the joy of it. Assigning new weapons to teams every round, if you decide to go that direction, would be a huge pain in the butt (you and your TO team would have to do it to prevent lying).
If we do end up hosting this tournament we will probably end up having people that will run the randomizer and tell the teams what they are using, to prevent lying like that. And when it comes to teams getting a better set, that might happen but not everyone can use weapons. Most would say the E-Liter is a great and top tier weapon but maybe no one on your team plays charger. Then there's the case of someone getting their main and whatnot but I still think it would be a fun idea

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
yeah it's a fun idea for sure. just pointing out quips. It's in many ways going to be luck based but it should still of course be fun. Just expect a busy game day with all the weapons you have to hand out. keep records of what each team gets every round (make them while they're playing and the first one before the tournament, or make them all before the tournament, and write them down on a doc or something. the former is more difficult but if you want a public doc and don't want to make 2 docs then you will use the former if you don't want people to see the weapons they get early. The latter is what I'd go with and I'd just keep a reference for me to see and a reference for them to see that I update between rounds), and it should be fine. Just a bit more busywork than most tournaments.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
yeah it's a fun idea for sure. just pointing out quips. It's in many ways going to be luck based but it should still of course be fun. Just expect a busy game day with all the weapons you have to hand out. keep records of what each team gets every round (make them while they're playing and the first one before the tournament, or make them all before the tournament, and write them down on a doc or something. the former is more difficult but if you want a public doc and don't want to make 2 docs then you will use the former if you don't want people to see the weapons they get early. The latter is what I'd go with and I'd just keep a reference for me to see and a reference for them to see that I update between rounds), and it should be fine. Just a bit more busywork than most tournaments.
I know there will be problems and I appreciate that you pointed that one out. Details will be gone over later and more in depth if there's enough interest. We're just trying to see if people would be interested in the idea right now.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
To ensure fairness, couldn't you just have both teams use the same set of randomly selected weapons for the duration of the round/match? Or was the idea to deliberately create an imbalance between teams?

Ultramus

Pro Squid
To ensure fairness, couldn't you just have both teams use the same set of randomly selected weapons for the duration of the round/match? Or was the idea to deliberately create an imbalance between teams?
Personally I like the idea of both teams being completely random, but that's also why I think it's more appropriate to just do it as an exhibition match between two teams. One team can luck out twice in a Bo3, having two good teams play a Bo9 or Bo11 ensures at least either one is going to get some decent setups.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Also due to how much time doing all this would take, the tournament may or may not be split up into multiple days. I've seen some feedback on previous tournaments and there have been many issues with tournaments being done in a single day with players outside of the U.S. not wanting to stay up till 2am to keep playing so to be fair to people, the tournament may be split into multiple days so our friends across the ocean can get some sleep and not have to stay awake and play while tired.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
It depends on the tourney framework really. If you want to have a group stage then a finals bracket with SE or DE you're probably going to run it over two days, especially with a large # of signups. If you're just going to run SE or DE then you can definitely fit it in one day if you schedule it at a decent time. Even in the former case if you could fit it in one day, the sheer number of rounds would be exhausting.

Kiver

Full Squid
NNID
KiverZ
Such randomized weapons are fun for 1-2 tournaments but on the long term, it gets boring.
I guess, it's still worth trying tho.

Last edited:

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I've won matches with compositions that people would probably say had a 100% chance to lose if they had seen what it was at the start of the match, also compared to what the other team had. I don't think the randomness of getting a "perfect composition" out of this is as damning as people are making it out to be. Either way it's supposed to be for fun, it's not like we're trying to start a major here.

Also on the single or multiple days thing. In theory, yes a tournament with group stages and knockout rounds should be able to finish in a reasonable amount of time. From what I have witnessed in practice though, this has almost no chance of happening. You'd think a round would only last maybe 35 minutes at most in best of 5, but some people manage to still be on game three after an hour. And I'm sure there are problems like disconnects and subbing that contribute to that, but 20 minutes a game is really pushing it.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Some time has passed and I'm returning to this with some new info

During the time between when this was posted and now, we've been working hard at improving the weapon randomizer and a member of our team named Nkitten has made what we're going to call the "final" randomizer. Nkitten's randomizer selects 8 different weapons, a map and a mode and provides an assortment of options ranging from disabling single player weapons, removing clone weapons, to allowing teams to be randomized as well. The randomizer also has a map and mode selection area where you can disable and enable combos. By default, Turf Wars on all maps are disabled and will not show up but everything else is enabled.

If you'd like to see this new randomizer, check it out here: http://nkitten.net/splatoon/random/

As for the tournament idea, I'd still like for this to happen. The community has shown interest in playing tournaments that don't follow the typical formula as shown by the tournaments hosted by Scarth and Fat (those being the Rainmaker Only tournament and the Low Power tournament) so maybe there would be interest in this. As for some issues brought up about how things would be handled like teams not following the randomizer or the TOs not knowing of the weapons selected, those are still being worked on but at this stage, I'm still trying to gauge interest. Those issues will be ironed out at a later date do not fear.

So please, if you and your team would enjoy joining a fun little tournament like this, let me know. I'd really like to make this happen

Reverse

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MKCyan
I really like this idea lol

Edit: FSU are interested in playing a tounremant for this

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
I'd say just do it. Sounds like good fun.

Also, that randomizer :scared: That is amazing. Very nice job to Nkitten!

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
i really do love the idea of this as well. a lot of people only main one weapon type, so if everyone got weapons that were completely out of their comfort zone, it'd be interesting. ofc there's always the chance that you'll get the weapon you are familiar with.... but i guess that's the fun of it.

Ayykari

Senior Squid
An interesting concept! I'd love to see a tournament like this made and executed, as it seems like a whole lot of fun.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll talk with some people, work out the bugs with the system I have mentioned and I think I'll start planning the tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom